Best winch for my money - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Best winch for my money

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 08-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #61
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Have you ever had/used synthetic rope or a winch?
-----------------
ZJILLA'S JEEP
Recovery
rear tow hook
-----------------
I've been using the same synthetic rope for over 8 years without issue...
yes. and i apologize i havent gotten around to upgrading my rear recovery points on my jeep i purchased a year ago. my current jeep is new to me and in time it will have what it needs. just kinda hard to ship a 100lb rear bumper to an APO box....much less a welder. Im not intrested in buying a welder locally i cant use in the United States without a re wire. You know nothing about me or my history with off roading, muchless what vehicles I have run or anything to that nature. So flaming about a rear tow hook is muchless unprofessional on your part. That is awesome that your rope has lasted that long. I`m not going to ask how much youve used the rope in the last 8 years, so im not coming off as flaming back on your 8 year old rope or winching/recovery experience (like you gathered-all by my one rear tow hook on the JK that you assuminglly think is the only vehicle i have upgraded and preformed recovery procedures with).

back on topic....

To the OP,
Everyone has different opinions. Soak up as much information as you can and just make an educated purchase to what fits your needs.

www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #62
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Have you ever had/used synthetic rope or a winch?
-----------------
ZJILLA'S JEEP
Recovery
rear tow hook
-----------------
I've been using the same synthetic rope for over 8 years without issue...
yes. and i apologize i havent gotten around to upgrading my rear recovery points on my jeep i purchased a year ago. my current jeep is new to me and in time it will have what it needs. just kinda hard to ship a 100lb rear bumper to an APO box....much less a welder. Im not intrested in buying a welder locally i cant use in the United States without a re wire. You know nothing about me or my history with off roading, muchless what vehicles I have run or anything to that nature. So flaming about a rear tow hook is muchless unprofessional on your part. That is awesome that your rope has lasted that long. I`m not going to ask how much youve used the rope in the last 8 years, so im not coming off as flaming back on your 8 year old rope or winching/recovery experience (like you gathered-all by my one rear tow hook on the JK that you assuminglly think is the only vehicle i have upgraded and preformed recovery procedures with).

back on topic....

To the OP,
Everyone has different opinions. Soak up as much information as you can and just make an educated purchase to what fits your needs.

All ive gathered out of this syn line and steel cable debate that this thread has turned into is that steel cable is heavy to drag out......isnt that what your spotter or passenger is for anyway>?
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #63
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Dragging a steel line out shouldnt be a problem if u do this for a living.......

1373315622748_6841661471_87419b70.jpg

Sorry its off topic but im proud

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
20130822_075423_resized-2-.jpg  
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #64
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen 2 synth ropes break and I've seen 1 steel line break (failed at the crimp).

i'm sold on synth after that. even if I have to replace it every so many years. still well worth it. even with line weights hanging on the steel cable, it was VIOLENT.

the synth line letting go was no big deal.
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #65
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I should be clear. I have no problem with steel line. At this point I just prefer synth.
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #66
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If a synthetic line breaks, it's a lot easier to do a trail repair to be able to use it again. Not so easy on a steel line.

But since this is a WINCH thread and the OP has a budget of $450 or less, I say browse Craigslist to see what you can find. I picked up my used Warn for under $300 (but I knew the guy) Mine was in great working order and could easily go for $600 used.

Just because you have a $450 budget doesn't mean you need a winch now, you could save a little more.

The slow winches usually last for a long time. That Chicago winch that was given to me is an older winch and still works like it was brand new. Same with a Harbor Freight winch a friend has, he's never had a problem. But thats my experience and we winch when needed but we don't go around looking to winch everyone and their brother. The cheaper winches will take longer and usually get pretty hot from extensive use. So think about endurance as well.

I've seen a Smittybilt die on the trail from a bad solenoid after being only 2yrs old. But any winch can die at any time. I like supporting American made companies as much as I can but I've found used parts before from friends/online that I'll run aka my rear tire carrier I have.

I just feel during the time of need, you want a winch you feel trusted on. Never know when it's 10 degrees snowing and you are stuck on the side of a mountain or in a ditch somewhere and need to get home. Make sure to read up on reviews on every winch you are thinking about getting.

Remember the extra cost as well. Winch plate or winch bumper. Recovery gear. Safety gear.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ Sport
00 TJ Sport
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #67
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Doesn't matter. The first rule of recovery is to protect and set your rigging in such a manner that it remains viable and undamaged. That means you don't drag your steel cable over rocks either.
Your rule is really nice and pretty there, until you get out in a real world situation where tough choices need to be made by men.

Steel seems ready for the tough choices. Syn seems kind of girly about it. Needing a cover and sunscreen. "Ooh don't be too rough with me", I'm dainty! ...stupid gay syn cable. I bet you can get it in pink too?
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #68
hcrane17
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This has gotten way of topic yet has been very informative my friends. Thank you all
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #69
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
Your rule is really nice and pretty there, until you get out in a real world situation where tough choices need to be made by men.

Steel seems ready for the tough choices. Syn seems kind of girly about it. Needing a cover and sunscreen. "Ooh don't be too rough with me", I'm dainty! ...stupid gay syn cable. I bet you can get it in pink too?
Instead of having a "manly" conversation you resort to 3rd grade antics.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ Sport
00 TJ Sport
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #70
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep..._pn=S%2fB98281#

450 with synth line....

I ran this on my wife's JK and was happy with it. I added a 25 dollar no questions asked lifetime warrenty to it too.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #71
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep..._pn=S%2fB98210#

100 over budget gets you 10,000 lb with synth
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #72
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I run and have for 4-5 years my '82 model 8274. It has been rebuilt once and the solenoids have gone out twice (one operator failure, one winching failure). I will always this winch... I will remove it if I sell the jeep and put it on the next one just like I did on the last one.

To get around the soleniod problem, I wired in a superwinch control pack which is just better technology than the 1940 style soleniods.

I added drain and fill plugs to change the oil once a year, added syn. line for weight reasons.

You can get a gigglepin double motor which doubles the electric engine output which really speeds up the line speed.

O, and I spend less than $500 on my rebuild (300 of that was synthetic line) and the winch was 200 and came with a good steel cable. So basically, I got a 1800 winch for quite a bit less.

I am picking up 2 more of these soon for free and will need complete rebuilts.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
70s J10 with J20 axles - yard art too
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #73
five-0
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Since no one has mentioned it yet. RUNVA is fantastic value. Made in china so you know it's legit... Haha ok maybe not. But it's been great. I have yet to really abuse it, but from all my research people love these winches, and they seem incredibly well built. Plus lifetime warranty is also great.

Go Runva. It's a great winch and the last one you'll buy
five-0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #74
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The XRC winches are definitely easy on the wallet, but every one I've worked with in person either doesn't free spool at all or is extremely difficult to do so. That's after a year or two of use, but still. I'd be curious to see if that "no questions asked warranty" covers the rope once you've taken it out of the box as well. A friend of mine had a brand new XRC with their synthetic line, and during the very first pull the rope came apart before we could even get enough tension to begin pulling. Calling both Smitty and the place of purchase did nothing for him as well since he had "used" the winch, albeit only enough for the initial pull to stretch the line properly.

To the OP: I wouldn't discount looking for something used. I picked up a well used Warn XD9000 and winch plate for $400; it's been working great for the past few years. If you look consistently, deals can be had.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #75
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

what about these comeup winches..i havent heard about anyone running them yet...........

Tags
sahara , winches , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.