Best winch for my money - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Best winch for my money

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Have had my Warn 8274, since 1977.
Use the steel cable too.
Not a place to go cheap with imported crap.
Warn stands behind their stuff an maintains a parts inventory.
Choose wisely!
LG

Unread 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #32
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Have had my Warn 8274, since 1977.
Use the steel cable too.
Not a place to go cheap with imported crap.
Warn stands behind their stuff an maintains a parts inventory.
Choose wisely!
LG
YUP,

you can still get motors (and add on motors) for the 8274

try that for a 5 year old superwinch. seriously. I have one sitting here that needs a motor...
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #33
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Abrasions from use
UV and chemical damage plays a big part.
IF the syn rope is such a great deal. Then why don't any HD tow rigs use it?
LG
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #34
Sixbanga
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have yet to see a super winch I would spend money on. I have seen several in the corner of freinds shops broken with no parts available.
If you want to spend less then $400 buy a harbor freight. Slow but extremly reliable.

If you want to spend $500+ buy a used warn 8274 and make sure it has the new style solonoid pack on it. If not buy the new pack and put it on so you dont have any solonoid failures.

If you want to spend more then $1000 buy any warn that fits your needs.

If you want to spend $3000 buy a new 8274 and put the giggle pin dual motors on it.
Sixbanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #35
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbanga View Post
I have yet to see a super winch I would spend money on. I have seen several in the corner of freinds shops broken with no parts available.
If you want to spend less then $400 buy a harbor freight. Slow but extremly reliable.

If you want to spend $500+ buy a used warn 8274 and make sure it has the new style solonoid pack on it. If not buy the new pack and put it on so you dont have any solonoid failures.

If you want to spend more then $1000 buy any warn that fits your needs.

If you want to spend $3000 buy a new 8274 and put the giggle pin dual motors on it.
^^^ this. In the end its your decision but I have also ran a Chicago and although slow its damn reliable.
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #36
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
try that for a 5 year old superwinch. seriously. I have one sitting here that needs a motor...
What model is it? Superwinch had a company out of Taiwan making winches for them a while ago. This company is no longer producing winches for Superwinch but is now selling them in the US market under their own name. Assuming it's one of the winches produced by this company, parts may be available if you contact them.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #37
goldensahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Engo. Good quality, good warranty, good customer service, and so far in the past 4 or so years, very good user reports.
goldensahara00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #38
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Back in 05 I had to pull wire rope up the side of a mountain trail at 12,000ft through 2-3' of snow. That's when I decided to go with synthetic rope.

It doesn't see much UV and works as well as the day I bought it...

Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #39
hcrane17
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jb- View Post
Man a lot of misinformation in here.

OP, how many times do you wheel? How many times do you find you getting stuck or friends getting stuck? What type of terrain do you wheel? Whats your budget?

I've been around several winches and have had two myself, so here is from what I've seen.

I was given a cheap Chicago (Harbor Frieght) 10,000lb winch. It was slow and loud. I mean slow. But it worked every time and pulled whatever I needed.

I bought a used Warn (model number in my Sig) from a friend. I love the line speed, it's dependable, works like it should and given that I've used slow line speed winches, I'd prefer a faster winch. The Warn also doesn't heat up as much as the Chicago did.

I've seen the Smittybilt Winch in action numerous times on two different vehicles. They work like they should and I saw one failure while winching. However I also saw a Warn 8274 failure on a cold snowy night before. Solenoid went out in it.

All mechanical things will break eventually. I'd buy a used Warn again in a heart beat. I'd also look into a SuperWinch as the one I saw in person, I liked the line speed as well.

Pick a winch to fit your budget, goals and use. Also remember you'll need other recovery gear, snatch blocks, tree saver, d-rings, chains, etc etc.

I use a steel cable right now but much rather prefer a synthetic line. The whole safety thing is big for me. With my steel cable I have a ARB blanket I put over top to dampen any breakage force and I make others stand away. I'll switch lines eventually.

I also prefer a Integrated Solenoid type winch.

I wouldn't cheap out on a winch though, I wouldn't by Warns cheaper line, I wouldn't buy SuperWinch cheaper line. Smittybilt I'm so so on them, they work but the one failure I saw and from hearing others on the trail report failures I wouldn't run one. But a winch is better than no winch. Look for a nice used Warn before buying a cheaper one if you can help it.
I have actually never run besides dirt roads and probably wont do major runs till i get a good lift kit and even then nothing extreme. Id say a good price range for me would be 200-450.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #40
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfun2 View Post
I contacted Superwinch about using synthetic line on my Tigershark 9500. They said because the load holding brake is inside the drum, that the drum would heat up and could possibly melt the synthetic line while powering the winch out under load. I then contacted Masterpull. Masterpull said their basic line with the Kevlar heat guard would be fine.
If you power out under load you have a hoist, not a winch. Not to mention that you would have to power out a long way under load to get it hot enough to matter and I'm not sure why one would do that.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #41
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
I havent heard about it. Ive seen it. Synthetic lines will dry rot over time. Some companies put out better products than others but yes they will and if they do dry rot then under enough stress they will snap. Im not saying you cant snap a steel cable but chances of that are slim to none and it usually happens if the cable is damaged.
Im not an advocate of steel lines. Synthetic is great. You can get away with not maintaining them but they will only last so long. U can get away with not changing ur oil for thousands of miles after it is due and ur engine still runs.....is it a good idea?
Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
I'm liking some more evidence on this dry rot you speak of.

btw- your oil change analogy is flawed. The more accurate way to portray it would be how long would your oil would last if the engine ran only for the times you used your winch.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #42
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
what does it have to do with then?
Shock load and or mechanical damage.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #43
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Shock load and or mechanical damage.
My point was that steel cable can take a lot more abuse than synthetic.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #44
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
YUP,

you can still get motors (and add on motors) for the 8274

Seriously, what do you want for what's left because I'm certain I can get a motor for it.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #45
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LG
I use Dyneema fiber ropes. Which chemicals are damaging to them?

Just so you know, you can soak my lines in hydrochloric acid for 5000 hours with no perceptible degradation in tensile strength. It is also supremely resistant to UV degradation.

If you want to educate yourself for next time-

http://www.mennensbelgium.be/product...ce_2008_gb.pdf

I wonder how much steel cable this guy is slinging around?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.