Best winch for my money - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Best winch for my money

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Reply
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #286
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.
 
RnEmOvr's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft Stewart, Ga
Posts: 10,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Now, fair question demands a fair answer. After all this banter, BS, and ball bustin", what winch do you think I think you should have on your rig?
Its a samurai, so a Warn ATV is fine. Lol

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.

RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #287
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Now, fair question demands a fair answer. After all this banter, BS, and ball bustin", what winch do you think I think you should have on your rig?
I think I should have a functional winch that is appropriately rated for my needs.
And that is precisely what I have.

Gonna be hard to convince me to replace a perfectly fine working winch that I've so far spent exactly $0 dollars on.
__________________
Can you afford the car? Have I provided you all the information you need on the car? Do you like the car? Then buy the car.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #288
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Yeah, but even if you get one, spiff it all up, put all the latest and greatest on it, at the end of the day, you're still driving an import knock-off of the real thing. Sorta like getting a synthetic winch line, wireless remote, custom powdercoat, relocated solenoid pack, and an aluminum hawse fairlead for a SB winch.
We could argue back to your original point for a long time. If it has to be spiffed up to perform as well as a stock Jeep, then its not really comparable for 1/3 the price.
__________________
Can you afford the car? Have I provided you all the information you need on the car? Do you like the car? Then buy the car.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #289
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
I think I should have a functional winch that is appropriately rated for my needs.
And that is precisely what I have.

Gonna be hard to convince me to replace a perfectly fine working winch that I've so far spent exactly $0 dollars on.
You didn't answer the question.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #290
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
If it has to be spiffed up to perform as well as a stock Jeep, then its not really comparable for 1/3 the price.
And your winch is?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #291
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You didn't answer the question.
I know. I didn't feel like it . I think I'm more interested in any experience you may be familiar with the Engo. Everything you've said has proven true with most other bargain brands. But I've yet to see any horror stories about it similar to all I'm hearing about SB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
And your winch is?
My winch really doesn't qualify for this discussion. First, it was free, mathmeticians among us can tell you what happens when you divide the price of a Warn by zero to determine how many times more the Warn cost. It's not pretty.

Second, it's still fully operational. So is it comparable? At this point in time I don't see how one could argue otherwise. For my use, seems comparable enough, until it stops working. And from the sound of it from the other informed guy in the thread, if my failure is only a solenoid, it should still be considered comparable.
__________________
Can you afford the car? Have I provided you all the information you need on the car? Do you like the car? Then buy the car.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #292
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
I know. I didn't feel like it . I think I'm more interested in any experience you may be familiar with the Engo. Everything you've said has proven true with most other bargain brands. But I've yet to see any horror stories about it similar to all I'm hearing about SB.
I'm a Warn snob for many reasons the least of which is how well their winches have performed for me. But, unlike most that are in these discussions, it only matters to me that you have something that works when you need it. At the point in time where that ceases to be satisfactory and it quits or your needs change, you'll adapt accordingly.


Quote:
My winch really doesn't qualify for this discussion. First, it was free, mathmeticians among us can tell you what happens when you divide the price of a Warn by zero to determine how many times more the Warn cost. It's not pretty.
Is there such a thing as a redherringlameduck in a discussion? If not there should be because you just used it. Similar to the morons that hop on the boards and gripe about X product because it is ridiculous that a company charges 100 bucks for a suspension bracket that has 3 bucks worth of steel in it and then spends 50 hours duplicating it to save 97 dollars.

Quote:
Second, it's still fully operational. So is it comparable? At this point in time I don't see how one could argue otherwise. For my use, seems comparable enough, until it stops working. And from the sound of it from the other informed guy in the thread, if my failure is only a solenoid, it should still be considered comparable.
Didn't my spiffing up equate to upgrades to a winch that was operational similar to putting a lift kit and bigger tires on a Sammy?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #293
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 5,232
I suppose I'm missing the point, I haven't spiffed up my src8...and it still pulls. But yes, when it fails, I will adapt. I imagine I'll still be interested in the Engo due to the specs and performance having equalled winches that run 3x the price and yet to hear anything to the contrary about them. Frankly, I always wanted a Ramsey simply because they are headquartered here.
__________________
Can you afford the car? Have I provided you all the information you need on the car? Do you like the car? Then buy the car.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #294
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
I suppose I'm missing the point, I haven't spiffed up my src8...and it still pulls. But yes, when it fails, I will adapt. I imagine I'll still be interested in the Engo due to the specs and performance having equalled winches that run 3x the price and yet to hear anything to the contrary about them. Frankly, I always wanted a Ramsey simply because they are headquartered here.
The Ramsey industrial is likely on more tow trucks than any winch out there unless it's another one of those regional things and this is the only area where they use them. Having worked at an auto shop before, I paid attention to the winch brands and never saw anything but a Ramsey on them.

Yeah, the point was that although a Sammy is cheaper like your winch, you can spruce it similar to how you can spruce up your winch if you wish and at the end of the day, neither will be a Jeep or a Warn.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #295
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.
 
RnEmOvr's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft Stewart, Ga
Posts: 10,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

The Ramsey industrial is likely on more tow trucks than any winch out there unless it's another one of those regional things and this is the only area where they use them. Having worked at an auto shop before, I paid attention to the winch brands and never saw anything but a Ramsey on them.

Yeah, the point was that although a Sammy is cheaper like your winch, you can spruce it similar to how you can spruce up your winch if you wish and at the end of the day, neither will be a Jeep or a Warn.
The Jeep VS 4x4 X means nothing when most "Jeeps" are only a partial frame and few body panels.

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #296
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
The Jeep VS 4x4 X means nothing when most "Jeeps" are only a partial frame and few body panels.

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.
I'm not sure of your education background but I am sure that your definition of "most" is not accurate.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #297
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.
 
RnEmOvr's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft Stewart, Ga
Posts: 10,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

I'm not sure of your education background but I am sure that your definition of "most" is not accurate.
Sarcasm failed to come thru

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #298
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
Sarcasm failed to come thru

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.
I'm sorry.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #299
wushaw
Rockin jeep
 
wushaw's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

I'm sorry.
The filament is obviously broken.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #300
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
Its a samurai, so a Warn ATV is fine. Lol

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.
I had a 12k o n my sammi

I had i think 6 jeeps at once, then to 1 as my dd and its gone now. The sammi is gone as well, working on a tracker project now. Most jeeps cant get where i need to go when im elk hunting.
__________________
I'm the only gay eskimo.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
sahara , winches , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.