Best winch for my money - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Best winch for my money

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Man a lot of misinformation in here.

OP, how many times do you wheel? How many times do you find you getting stuck or friends getting stuck? What type of terrain do you wheel? Whats your budget?

I've been around several winches and have had two myself, so here is from what I've seen.

I was given a cheap Chicago (Harbor Frieght) 10,000lb winch. It was slow and loud. I mean slow. But it worked every time and pulled whatever I needed.

I bought a used Warn (model number in my Sig) from a friend. I love the line speed, it's dependable, works like it should and given that I've used slow line speed winches, I'd prefer a faster winch. The Warn also doesn't heat up as much as the Chicago did.

I've seen the Smittybilt Winch in action numerous times on two different vehicles. They work like they should and I saw one failure while winching. However I also saw a Warn 8274 failure on a cold snowy night before. Solenoid went out in it.

All mechanical things will break eventually. I'd buy a used Warn again in a heart beat. I'd also look into a SuperWinch as the one I saw in person, I liked the line speed as well.

Pick a winch to fit your budget, goals and use. Also remember you'll need other recovery gear, snatch blocks, tree saver, d-rings, chains, etc etc.

I use a steel cable right now but much rather prefer a synthetic line. The whole safety thing is big for me. With my steel cable I have a ARB blanket I put over top to dampen any breakage force and I make others stand away. I'll switch lines eventually.

I also prefer a Integrated Solenoid type winch.

I wouldn't cheap out on a winch though, I wouldn't by Warns cheaper line, I wouldn't buy SuperWinch cheaper line. Smittybilt I'm so so on them, they work but the one failure I saw and from hearing others on the trail report failures I wouldn't run one. But a winch is better than no winch. Look for a nice used Warn before buying a cheaper one if you can help it.

Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
Greenfun2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

Where did you hear this about synthetic line?
I contacted Superwinch about using synthetic line on my Tigershark 9500. They said because the load holding brake is inside the drum, that the drum would heat up and could possibly melt the synthetic line while powering the winch out under load. I then contacted Masterpull. Masterpull said their basic line with the Kevlar heat guard would be fine.
Greenfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Where did you hear this about synthetic line?
I havent heard about it. Ive seen it. Synthetic lines will dry rot over time. Some companies put out better products than others but yes they will and if they do dry rot then under enough stress they will snap. Im not saying you cant snap a steel cable but chances of that are slim to none and it usually happens if the cable is damaged.
Im not an advocate of steel lines. Synthetic is great. You can get away with not maintaining them but they will only last so long. U can get away with not changing ur oil for thousands of miles after it is due and ur engine still runs.....is it a good idea?
Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfun2 View Post

I contacted Superwinch about using synthetic line on my Tigershark 9500. They said because the load holding brake is inside the drum, that the drum would heat up and could possibly melt the synthetic line while powering the winch out under load. I then contacted Masterpull. Masterpull said their basic line with the Kevlar heat guard would be fine.
And yes..exactly.

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
And yes..exactly.

But, how many people will actually use their winches in this manner? I doubt many will be powering out under load frequently enough to cause an issue, and like the post you quoted said it's a non-issue with a heat guard.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post

But, how many people will actually use their winches in this manner? I doubt many will be powering out under load frequently enough to cause an issue, and like the post you quoted said it's a non-issue with a heat guard.
U could get away with running synthetic on a tigershark series ...its all up to you if you want to do what recommended by the manufacturer. I wouldnt do heavy winching with it tho

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
U could get away with running synthetic on a tigershark series ...its all up to you if you want to do what recommended by the manufacturer. I wouldnt do heavy winching with it tho

Most winches have the brake in the drum, not just the tigershark...
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post

Most winches have the brake in the drum, not just the tigershark...
Yep

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I havent heard about it. Ive seen it. Synthetic lines will dry rot over time. Some companies put out better products than others but yes they will and if they do dry rot then under enough stress they will snap. Im not saying you cant snap a steel cable but chances of that are slim to none and it usually happens if the cable is damaged.
Im not an advocate of steel lines. Synthetic is great. You can get away with not maintaining them but they will only last so long. U can get away with not changing ur oil for thousands of miles after it is due and ur engine still runs.....is it a good idea?
Synthetic line can snap, yes. In almost all cases that it does though does it have anything to do with "dry rot" or "heat"? Nope.
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep

So then you must know that all "heavy winching" isn't what causes the drum to heat up and cause issues, so telling people it's not OK to do so would be incorrect. Powering out under load is what people need to watch out for when using synthetic rope.
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #26
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Synthetic line can snap, yes. In almost all cases that it does though does it have anything to do with "dry rot" or "heat"? Nope.
what does it have to do with then?
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
what does it have to do with then?
Abrasions from use
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
wrangler2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I like my quadratec which used it multiple times now feels great.

-War is sweet to those not experienced in it.- (2009-2012)
wrangler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Abrasions from use
that's what I thought. I've seen a steel cable cut sandstone before
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #30
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2380 View Post
Holy smokes, that's a lot of winches!
i'm also on jeep number 25... i'm probably forgetting some to be honest.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.