JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Best winch for my money (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/best-winch-my-money-1565274/)

hcrane17 08-21-2013 11:57 AM

Best winch for my money
 
I've been looking around for a good winch for my tj so I can get myself and others out of what could be some serious problems. So in your opinions, whats the best winch for the money and durability on the market?

SlackJaw 08-21-2013 12:19 PM

Warn will likely be the overwhelming reco here, but "for the money" has different implications to me.

I understand the Engo tested VERY high, second only to the Warn, and for les than a third of the price. I would have gone that route, but got gifted a Smittybilt Xrc8, which 4WP blasts out at $250 on their big sales. $300 regular price, Engo can be had at even a better "regular price" deal at $289 shipped, right here on the site, if memory serves.

I've only had my Smitty for less than 1 year, but I've abused it pretty good, still pulls.

RnEmOvr 08-21-2013 12:22 PM

Get the Harbor Freight winch. I ran it for many years and only broke it because my own stupidity. I let the cable get spooled to high in the center and snapped the cross bars. They replaced it free under warranty. Sold that one to a friend who used it for 5-6 years before it died

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.

SlackJaw 08-21-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnEmOvr (Post 15820210)
Get the Harbor Freight winch. I ran it for many years and only broke it because my own stupidity. I let the cable get spooled to high in the center and snapped the cross bars. They replaced it free under warranty. Sold that one to a friend who used it for 5-6 years before it died.

no kidding? I heard they were crap :dunno:

RnEmOvr 08-21-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlackJaw (Post 15820372)

no kidding? I heard they were crap :dunno:

Even Peterson's 4wd rated them top 5 for the price IIRC. Guess everyone has different opinions.

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.

zjilla 08-21-2013 01:33 PM

Stick with warn and super winch. Warn is expensive no matter which one u buy. Super winch is comparable quality but has cheaper options. Take a look at the tigershark series from super winch. Only draw back is that it is not recommended to use synthetic line. Which can be a sell point or not for you. A well taken care of steel cable will last forever but a synthetic line is recomended for replacement every year or so. They will dry out over time. Invest in somwthing that will last you the life of your vehicle rather than buying something for 300 dollars now and have to replace it bc it didnt last. I paid around 500 for my tigershark 9.5 superwinch. A couple hundred more and youll have a cheaper investment

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

zjilla 08-21-2013 01:34 PM

Warn and superwinch are in thier own class.....so top 5 in a cheaper class doesnt mean its quality

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

SlackJaw 08-21-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnEmOvr (Post 15820418)
Even Peterson's 4wd rated them top 5 for the price IIRC. Guess everyone has different opinions.

was unaware. I just heard word of mouth. But heard bad experiences with just about anything that runs off electricity from there. :D

Slackjaw tries to keep a open mind. :D

Buddy of mine runs a Superwinch and loves it. I love it too, as he's pulled me out way too many times :D see avatar :o

TJDaveX 08-21-2013 01:38 PM

:PopCorn:


Quote:

Best winch for my money
What kind of money are we talking about?

biffgnar 08-21-2013 01:39 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zjilla (Post 15820454)
Stick with warn and super winch. Warn is expensive no matter which one u buy. Super winch is comparable quality but has cheaper options. Take a look at the tigershark series from super winch. Only draw back is that it is not recommended to use synthetic line. Which can be a sell point or not for you. A well taken care of steel cable will last forever but a synthetic line is recomended for replacement every year or so. They will dry out over time. Invest in somwthing that will last you the life of your vehicle rather than buying something for 300 dollars now and have to replace it bc it didnt last. I paid around 500 for my tigershark 9.5 superwinch. A couple hundred more and youll have a cheaper investment

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

Where did you hear this about synthetic line?

biffgnar 08-21-2013 01:40 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDaveX (Post 15820474)
:PopCorn:




What kind of money are we talking about?

This is an excellent question. I'd argue a Gigglepin is good value for the money.

Tonellin 08-21-2013 01:41 PM

65 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zjilla (Post 15820454)
. Only draw back is that it is not recommended to use synthetic line. Which can be a sell point or not for you. A well taken care of steel cable will last forever but a synthetic line is recomended for replacement every year or so. They will dry out over time.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

um. what?

nmtj 08-21-2013 01:44 PM

Pick up a used 8274!

2k2wranglerx 08-21-2013 01:51 PM

hated my superwinch X9

I was meh on my M8000. thought it was overpriced

I LOVED my 8274 with a 9000 lb motor

I didn't like my 8000 lb ramsey

I loved my warn 9.5Ti

I have an integrated warn 9.5 on my TJ now and it's ok. it's pretty hammered though.

I ran 2 XRC8's and an XRC9. had an issue with a winch hook up on one XRC8 and smittybuilt was great about it. and the comp line seemed decent on the other one I ran. they were fine for the $.

I blew apart my milemarker 8000...

I think that's all the winches I've run...

mg2380 08-21-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx (Post 15820535)
hated my superwinch X9

I was meh on my M8000. thought it was overpriced

I LOVED my 8274 with a 9000 lb motor

I didn't like my 8000 lb ramsey

I loved my warn 9.5Ti

I have an integrated warn 9.5 on my TJ now and it's ok. it's pretty hammered though.

I ran 2 XRC8's and an XRC9. had an issue with a winch hook up on one XRC8 and smittybuilt was great about it. and the comp line seemed decent on the other one I ran. they were fine for the $.

I blew apart my milemarker 8000...

I think that's all the winches I've run...

Holy smokes, that's a lot of winches! :D


The time now is 02:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.