Best winch for the money - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Best winch for the money

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Jt_grooms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Best winch for the money

I'm looking for a 8000lb winch. Which is the best for the money?

Unread 05-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
D-13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Look on Amazon they have awsome deals on Superwinch epi!
D-13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-13 View Post
Look on Amazon they have awsome deals on Superwinch epi!
I like Superwinch's X9 and S9000 winches which are both made here in the U.S.

But virtually all of Superwinch's other model winches are imported from China and I wouldn't touch any of them.

The below photo is from 3 weeks ago after I was through winching a Ford over some big rocks. Notice there are two winch cables out... mine (Warn XP-9.5) and from the Ford owner's Superwinch. His brand-new unused Superwinch 8,000 lb. capacity winch failed after its first two short uses on those rocks.

To me, the best winch for the $$$ is never the least expensive... and personally, I'll always go Warn.
cimg4127.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
JBD

Just remember you get what you pay for. The cheapest is not always the best way to go.
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Jt_grooms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that's what I was thinking . 8000 or 9000 lb? I have a 05 TJ with 33's
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

8,000 to 9,500 lbs. is about right for a Wrangler. Not to mention you may get asked to winch a bigger vehicle like the big-*** Ford I had to winch in the above photo. If $$$ is not a big issue, I'd go 9-9.5K lbs. since bigger capacity winches require fewer amperes at the same loads that smaller winches do.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Jt_grooms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all your help
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Find the oldest, dirtiest, most used looking winch you can find for cheap that is a good USA made Warn or Ramsey, and rebuild it.

You'll end up with a like-new winch, you'll know how it works, and most importantly, you'll know how to fix/jumper/make it work IF something should ever fail on the trail like a solenoid or something.

I bought TWO Ramsey RE12000s for $400. They are $1200 winches brand new. One had a brand newish wire rope, one had a (supposedly) bad solenoid, and the other had a sticking clutch mechanism.

All I had to do was clean the contacts on one winch, greased up the clutch on the other, and I had two usable winches. Unfortunately I GAVE one away to a friend since I had to move, though I still feel I got my money's worth.

Worm gear winches are INCREDIBLY slow... but you will NOT stall them and there is no brake that can possibly fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

Get the superwinch epi9000. Great winch and great price, not too expensive. Got mine about 2 yrs ago for $600 new. Good luck.
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My
Have a buddy that bought a Duke Winch. About the same time I bought a Warn 8274.
Now I paid alot more money for my winch than he did for his. I think his was a 9000 lbs and mine is a 8000. He said I was crazy for spending that kind of money.
His quit in a couple of years, bought a 9000 lbs Harbor Freight winch. Again great winch and great price.
Lasted a couple years. Quit again. Got another off brand winch (9000) Quit again. (couple of years)
Now then I would think he could have bought some new parts to keep all these winches working and really he probably paid about the same price for all these winches as I did for my 8274.
Why though?
I am not saying that you will never have a problem with a Warn winch, but when you are out in the middle of nowhere with out anyone else around or you are being pulled up a rock face which winch would you choose.
Oh by the way he did finally buy a Warn winch (9000) and I still have the same 8274.
Unread 05-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
whitedevilish1
1979 CJ5 

Here is the winch I have on my TJ.

http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Wi...&t_pn=WAR26502
whitedevilish1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
lucky-13
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any of you experienced winchers have an opinion on the Warn PowerPlant HP with the built in OBA? I realize they're pretty pricey but I love the idea of killing 2 birds (quality winch /on board air together) and my 05 LJ Rubicon seems kinda naked now that I got the new bumpers on. I suspect I'd use the air more often than the winch and 4WheelOnline has a pretty good discount on them now.

I've never had a winch before so I'm a total virgin when it comes to all things winch!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #513
05 LJ Rubicon Sahara #787 : 6" Skyjacker Longarm Lift
07 WK Overland : It's all about the Hemi : XK/WK Owners Club Member #13
lucky-13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Warn is a superb brand but for a TJ/LJ, their Powerplant is absolutely HUGE and it's heavy too. I think it looks out of place on a TJ front-end since it's just such a huge device.

But my biggest problem with it is that if something fails on it, however unlikely, you've lost two critical and very key pieces of equipment.... the winch and compressor simultaneously would both be lost.

I really like most of Warn's products but that's one product I wouldn't select for my Wrangler.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
lucky-13
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Warn is a superb brand but for a TJ/LJ, their Powerplant is absolutely HUGE and it's heavy too. I think it looks out of place on a TJ front-end since it's just such a huge device.

But my biggest problem with it is that if something fails on it, however unlikely, you've lost two critical and very key pieces of equipment.... the winch and compressor simultaneously would both be lost.

I really like most of Warn's products but that's one product I wouldn't select for my Wrangler.
Thanks Jerry - it is certainly not small! Any reccomendations on alternatives?
Anyone else using one of these?
Colorado Jeep Club Member #513
05 LJ Rubicon Sahara #787 : 6" Skyjacker Longarm Lift
07 WK Overland : It's all about the Hemi : XK/WK Owners Club Member #13
lucky-13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.