best weekend off roader winch - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > best weekend off roader winch

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

^^I'm not sure if that's a joke or not. I had an atv winch on my jeep for a while. It wasn't for recovery but for pulling tree branches out of tight ravines that you couldn't just pull them out with tractor. It worked really well for that job. It also pulled my stock jeep back into the snow ruts that the bigger guys had made. Well, once. I wouldn't trust it to do more than that.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a cheap winch suggestion, 4wheelparts is having a black Friday sale with the smitty xrc8 on sale for $269. There is also a little known $50 lifetime guarantee option on them that's too cheap to pass up. If anything breaks, it's covered.

Unread 11-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #17
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

Yeah that was a lousy joke. But I have seen plenty of people with those and recomend those as a good winch for jeeps. These old timers in my area swear a 2000-3000 pound winch is more than enough
freedommachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater

rope line is great, it's lighter, easier to work with, and won't kill anyone if it should snap.

That said I think it's retarded to buy a cheap Chinese winch and then buy rope line for it.

Better to spend that money on a Warn winch with steel cable. The winch will last for ever, and even if there is a problem it's repairable. When you get money later on add the rope line to the Ware.
Synthetic line is dangerous and can kill you.
bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #19
Jsederlin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard good things about rough country winches. dont have any first hand experience, but from what i heard they compare pretty well to smittybuilt both in performance, and price. but the rc winch does give you 1500 pounds more pulling power than an xrc-8 for the same price! and they come with a wireless remote!!!!

Last edited by Jsederlin; 11-19-2011 at 10:53 PM..
Jsederlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #20
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknuckle View Post
I guess that's why steel cable has been BANNED from all rock climbing events and only synthetic line is allowed.

Steel cable stretches and stores energy, when it breaks it snaps. Synthetic line does not stretch, so when it snaps it just drops.

So now would you like to explain what you mean

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater

I guess that's why steel cable has been BANNED from all rock climbing events and only synthetic line is allowed.

Steel cable stretches and stores energy, when it breaks it snaps. Synthetic line does not stretch, so when it snaps it just drops.

So now would you like to explain what you mean
Yes synthetic rope is safer than wire, that is why they made the switch, but don't think for a second that rigging with synthetic rope is not dangerous.
Unread 11-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedommachine View Post
Yeah that was a lousy joke. But I have seen plenty of people with those and recomend those as a good winch for jeeps. These old timers in my area swear a 2000-3000 pound winch is more than enough
Sure, it's plenty for a trailer winch

Quote:
Yes synthetic rope is safer than wire, that is why they made the switch, but don't think for a second that rigging with synthetic rope is not dangerous.
It's all dangerous. Safe rigging & pulling practices is all one can do.
Having said that I have busted a 12k steel cable and it was a slingshot, I have 18k synthetic now, it has one more pull than the steel cable so far without breakage.

I really like working with the synthetic over the steel.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #23
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I've debated going synthetic for some time now. I may do it on the M8000 on my WJ, but I use the XD9000i on my truck a lot around my small piece of farmland with trees and such and I'm just afraid of spending all that money just to fray the thing with that kind of use...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #24
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You got that backwards... synthetic rope has been mandated at most pro-level competitions because wire rope is so dangerous and can kill or maim you. After going through three wire ropes that became too dangerous to use and converting to synthetic 7-8 years ago, I'll never go back to wire rope. My first synthetic rope outlasted three wire ropes and I'm only on my second synthetic rope because that Jeep got stolen and I replaced it and bought a new Warn winch and replaced its wire rope with synthetic rope from Viking Offroad.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #25
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
You got that backwards... synthetic rope has been mandated at most pro-level competitions because wire rope is so dangerous and can kill or maim you. After going through three wire ropes that became too dangerous to use and converting to synthetic 7-8 years ago, I'll never go back to wire rope. My first synthetic rope outlasted three wire ropes and I'm only on my second synthetic rope because that Jeep got stolen and I replaced it and bought a new Warn winch and replaced its wire rope with synthetic rope from Viking Offroad.
Jerry my statement was a response to the poster that says synthetic can't kill you. I have already stated that synthetic is safer than wire, but both are dangerous. For one to make the claim that rigging with synthetic can't kill you is insane.
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #26
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Jerry my statement was a response to the poster that says synthetic can't kill you. I have already stated that synthetic is safer than wire, but both are dangerous. For one to make the claim that rigging with synthetic can't kill you is insane.
Hell anything can kill you, and the dumber you are the easier it is to die.

So there does that make you feel better.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #27
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm confused. Other than the inherent dangers of winching that are present regardless of cable type used. How can a synthetic line kill you?
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.