best weekend off roader winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > best weekend off roader winch

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
kbman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

best weekend off roader winch

my jeep is my daily driver 4in with 33's. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a winch but I want peace of mind when I c a mud hole. What winch has the best bang for your buck without overkill

kbman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

IF I were you, I would go with a harbor freight, their cheap and good for a few pulls but the reliability of long repeative pulls simpily isnt there, but it'll get you home.
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get a Smittybilt. Mine lasted almost 2 1/2 years!
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Grimm5577
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Engo is pretty inexpensive winch. Sub $300 for a 9k.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The best weekend Winch is one that will be reliable 100% of the time and give you some peace of mind rather than Affordable. Try Craig List or Ebay for a used Warn.
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I got one that has one of these on it W

I am mostly a weekend wheeler and not even every weekend or even other weekend. Sometimes I wheel during the week. I have used the crap out of my winch for many things and it just keeps working. I have had it for about a decade and I am confident that whatever weekend I choose to wheel on it will work. If you do the math I have maybe paid 80-90 dollars a year for it, and won't stop working anytime soon. Doubt these cheapo one will cost any less.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
kbman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thx I was looking at a smittybily what size do your think and what's the pros and cons between cable line and rope line
Unread 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
Get a Smittybilt. Mine lasted almost 2 1/2 years!
BEFORE IT QUIT WORKING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbman View Post
Thx I was looking at a smittybily what size do your think and what's the pros and cons between cable line and rope line
Sorry, I should of been a little more clear with my above post. I fixed it.

It's a great price, and some have had great luck with their Smitty winches. But, it is luck, and I wasn't so lucky. It was only used occasionally, and worked every time I needed it.....until the last time I needed it.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is a daily driver and a weekend wheeler, I chose the Warn M8000. It's a bit more expensive compared to other inexpensive winches, but in the long run it will probably be less expensive than having to buy a 2nd cheaper winch after a few years if the first cheap one fails.

(edit) Wait a second, did the price of the M8000s go up recently? I purchased mine almost a year ago and if I remember correctly it was just a bit over $500. On the warn site it's listed as 900 something, and on quadratec it's 700 something. ??
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
RockyMnt1

Yep, they went up in price. I got my M8000 for $404.00 to the door during the sale/rebate around a year ago.

Other folks did even better (around $320.00 to the door).
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
scramblered
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure when I will get it installed but picked up a Superwinch LP8500 this morning at the Farm and Fleet for $289. Time will tell whether it was a good investment. Good luck, Dave
scramblered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbman View Post
rope line is great, it's lighter, easier to work with, and won't kill anyone if it should snap.

That said I think it's retarded to buy a cheap Chinese winch and then buy rope line for it.

Better to spend that money on a Warn winch with steel cable. The winch will last for ever, and even if there is a problem it's repairable. When you get money later on add the rope line to the Ware.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
kbman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thx for the feedback guys. Im ordering a poison bumper to mount it on
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Find you a good, used M8000. My WJ is my daily driver, 3" of lift and I put my five year old, pretty heavily used M8000 off my truck on it when I upgraded to a XD9000i on the truck. Even at seven years old now, I still trust the thing more than I would a brand new, Chinese winch...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

Heres a good winch. I see a lot of weeked off road type jeeps and trucks with these. You can get them used for as little as 10-40 dollars. Even new there fairly cheap. Sure plenty of people will tell ya spend your money and buy a warn. These little bad boys work great! I'm sorry I just had to. But really just buy the best you can afford. But dont be the guy who didn't want to spend more than 50 bucks and then bought one of these.
freedommachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.