Been given a winch.... but it has a catch... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Been given a winch.... but it has a catch...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
ctm9191
1989 MJ Comanche 

Been given a winch.... but it has a catch...

Sunday i was given a Ramsey 6000 winch... or so my stepdad called it that, it has good gears and frame..... NO MOTOR, so what have is the frame and no cable/motor/way to keep the cable in check once i order one... online i have found i need a motor with the part number 458109... and i plan on calling ramsey when they open tomorrow to see if i can order a motor from them.
I have no idea the age of the winch but if anyone can give me an idea of how it might do once i can find a motor it would be much appriciated
He did tell me if i run out a "100 feet of cable only use the winch for about 20 feet at a time" he said it gets a small motor that gets hot.
but if you guys know where to order one from other than ramsey i would love the help because ive been trolling the interweb for about a hour and cant find one site with the correct replacement motor

ctm9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

That's a nice size for a portable winch or hitch receiver setup because any larger gets pretty heavy to lug around. 6k may be a little smaller than I'd pick for bumper mount if I was buying new, but still big enough to help out in a lot of instances. You can help it out by using a snatch block to double back the cable on harder pulls. The more line off the spool, the lower the effective gearing ratio will be. Also, doubling back the line will double the pulling power since the line will be pulling 6k worth on each half or direction, for a total of 12k.
A 25% duty cycle rating is common for electric winches, meaning that ideal usage under heavy load is to pull for one minute and then rest it for three to allow cooling.
I see a lot of winch motors go on ebay but have never paid much attention to the smaller ones.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
ctm9191
1989 MJ Comanche 

the pull one rest three min will come in handy one day im sure, thank you for that. yea i was wanting to get 8,000lb pull but... all i have to pay for on this winch is the motor/fairlead/cable... from what iv seen ill be spending about 200-250 depending on where i order from... way better in my book than spending what it cost for a new winch

I LOVE FREEBIES
ctm9191 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.