Beating me to death shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Beating me to death shocks

Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
rickamoss

Beating me to death shocks

1991 Jeep YJ 4.0 31 x 10.50's - virtually all stock. I recently (12-18 months) replaced all my shocks with an inexpensive set of Monroe Gas from Autozone - the red ones, and the jeep is just nuts, a speed bump at 5 mph will actually go airborne. I need to soften these shocks (No adjustments on them) or replace with a softer, but inexpensive (Okay cheap!) that will work for a very mild wheeler, trails only - virtually no rock but some mud. This the wifes rig and she's got a bad back and this things not helping. Thanks for reading and hopefully solving my problem.

rickamoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

While that could be from those Monroe gas shocks, and gas shocks are generally stiffer, the overly stiff ride could also be in part from the air pressure in your tires. Exactly what tire and tire size are you running, and exactly what air pressure are you running in them? Most tire shocks significantly overinflate tires and some overinflate their tires by unknowingly inflating them to the air pressure molded onto the sidewall which only the tire's maximum safe air pressure... which is never the correct pressure to actually run them at.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
rickamoss

We are running uniroyal 31X10.5 and between 38 and 42 psi max is 50 psi. I've tried as low as 20 psi and she'll wallow over the speed bumps but you'll still find out how low the soft top and roll bar are.
Unread 05-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickamoss View Post
We are running uniroyal 31X10.5 and between 38 and 42 psi max is 50 psi. I've tried as low as 20 psi and she'll wallow over the speed bumps but you'll still find out how low the soft top and roll bar are.
38-42 is WAY too high for a 31" tire supporting a vehicle with the weight of a Wrangler. 30-32 is about right for a 31" tire.

You still may have overly stiff shock absorbers but I'd stop running 38-42 psi. Pay no attention to the 50 psi on the sidewall, that is only the tire's max safe pressure.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
Morris4x4Center
Vendor

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If any of this helps,

New shocks won't be as weak as old worn out shocks. So that can cause you to sense a difference right away.

I don't think I've ever seen a red Monroe shock, so I'm not familiar with that type.

But if you can collapse the shock by hand off the Jeep, that's a weak twin tube design. Can't get much softer valving than that usually.

Shock companies don't share valving specs, so the only way to know a shock is valved EXACTLY like an old factory shock is to use the same OE shock.
At least that way you know what you are getting beforehand.

(Ignore that a shock is gas charged, that has nothing to do with the internal valving or how stiff it's valved.)

As Jerry says, changing tire pressure is usually the best place to start (it's free to do :-) but it sounds like you tried that already.

Morris4x4Center.com

Toll Free: 877.553.5337 | Free Shipping on Orders Over $99!|
PM us for any questions.
Morris4x4Center is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
rickamoss

My mistake - they're Gabriel, and you're right I've tried lower air pressure. The old shocks I replaced were shot, to say the least, but the ride was magnitudes better.
Unread 05-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
Attwanl
1985 CJ7 

When you say "virtually stock" does that mean nothing other shocks and tires? I only ask because when I got my jeep it had lift shackles on it. I replaced with stock length, made a big mistake and over tightened them. It rode bone jarringly rough, if I hit the smallest bump in a turn it felt like it skipped. I figured it was the nature of the beast so to speak, until I found out here that it causes it not flex... Made all the difference in the world when I loosed them up.
Just a thought

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.