Battery operated grease gun for the Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Battery operated grease gun for the Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Battery operated grease gun for the Jeep

I am looking to get something to force me to grease the Jeep TJ I have more often. I currently have a hand operated grease gun at home and I don't seem to remember to grease the Jeep once we get to the trail. I hate the task of greasing and the storage of the tool.

I subscribe to this youtube channel and they show a battery operated Dewalt grease gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7FsvxDzyxmd-0Q

The video shows some cool things about the gun and some nice reasons to buy this type of tool. Does anyone else use them?

I would think the Currie lift and drive shafts would like being greased more.

Unread 02-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Get this type and use your man hands

Unread 02-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The lubicators where I work have battery powered grease guns.
They love them.
I have looked at them in the past.
I just can not see spending $100 plus dollars on a grease gun.
Unread 02-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't say its a matter of doing the work vs having a machine do the work but you can feel what's going on when you grease by hand. The grease zerks on the jeeps are set up to overflow excess grease for a couple reasons. The most important being that you drive out water and old grease in the joints. You can feel when there is a dried plug of grease inside or can see if a ujoint needs replacing when you grease by hand. I believe that proper greasing is the most important maintenance aspect of the winter and its better to perform proper main fence than to change a ujoint on the trail or on the side of the road.

I have used several battery powered grease guns since my job depends on lubricated equipment and I've got to say that a hand gun is far more efficient at completing the task. I have two guns in the shop: one for standard nipple zerks and the other for needle points on the cv shafts on the jeep. The latter works well for packing bearing housings because it can get in all the nooks and crannies. If you get one, lemme know how it works for you.
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you need “something to force” you to grease your Jeep I doubt buying a powered grease gun is the answer. After a while the novelty of your new found toy will wear off and you’ll be back in the same predicament. Discipline is what you need.

Also, why wouldn’t you grease the Jeep at home instead of at the trail, seems a bit backwards to me?

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My understanding of greasing Johnny joints is never force grease into them, which a powered grease gun would most certainly do. And to grease them through the bolt end zerks only when possible. Over greasing JJ is not a good thing like one might think. Now my driveshaft, that gets hit every oil change along with my steering.

I'm just parroting what I've read on this forum and my own experience greasing the 40+ zerks under my Jeep. So correct me if I'm wrong.
Ferrachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I use a pneumatic grease gun with a needle fitting that replaces the regular fitting. Just press the needle into the ball on the zerk fitting and squeeze the trigger. You will have to pay attention to the settings on your compressor. Doesn't get any easier.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.