Ball Joint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Ball Joint

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Caitlingirl

Ball Joint

I have a 2010 JK with 4 inch lift and 37 inch tires. Imjust bought it from private party last week and took the JK to the dealer for cgeck up. They told me the ball joint needs to be replaced due to too much play. Called 4 wheel shop and told me that should not be the case since Jeep only has 17K miles and tose ball joints are good for 80-100K miles. Do you think the dealer was just trying to make money or could it be something else causing the problem? What could it be? Any suggestions on what to,do?

Caitlingirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
YJ_Tom
2007 JK Wrangler 

Dealer is probably right. My bone stock 2007 JKUR had ball joints go out at 55k miles. With a lift and what I've heard seems entirely reasonable they are shot.
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Lift the the front and shake the tire at the 12 and 6 position (or use a something akin to a lever and place under the tire while lifted and lift up and down) and if there is play, then your ball joints are shot and need replacement.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Caitlingirl

How much should ball joints cost for jeep wrangler lifted both sides top and bottom? Does $700 parts and labor sound reasonable? Would you recommend having it done in a 4 wheel or place that specializes in trucks and jeeps only or any small autoshop can probably do it cheaper. My concern is it really requires experience on big rigs for this part or not?
Caitlingirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since it is a modded Jeep I would take to 4X4 shop and get a second opinion. Yes mileage is too low for worn out ball joints.

Yes they are a pain to put in watch some YouTube videos you will see. But some beer and a handy mechanic friend could help if needed.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
YJ_Tom
2007 JK Wrangler 

When I did mine the parts were $250 and it took 6-8 hours. I'm sure a shop could do it much faster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.