Badland winches, good or no good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Badland winches, good or no good?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Badland winches, good or no good?

so i dont know if i should get this or not.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ake-68141.html

what is you opinion on this product?

thanks

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

It's just another cheap Chinese product. Use it two or three times and something will break. There is no repair service and you cant get parts, so you will end up throwing it away.

You can buy a new vm8000 winch from Warn for about 440.00 shipped to your door.

Also the winch you are looking at is only rated for 6000 lbs, and I won't trust that.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
WeRiders

Badland Winches

CJ Tim: As you have read from the previous post - there is always someone out there with an extreme opinion. If you haven't already spent hard earned cash on another product, you will certainly do very well buying any of the Badland Winch products. As a Jeep owner, you likely won't need a winch larger than 6000 pounds. If you would like to read some positive literature regarding the winches, visit your local Harbor Freight Tools Store. Speak with a manager who will provide a write up written by Consumer Reports trialists. I have had a 12000 lbs Badland Winch for more than 5 years, have used it every hunting trip and it exceeds my expectations. Good Luck.
WeRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRiders View Post
CJ Tim: As you have read from the previous post - there is always someone out there with an extreme opinion.
$440 makes an extreme opinion? Sounds like a well priced alternative to me...

Quote:
If you haven't already spent hard earned cash on another product, you will certainly do very well buying any of the Badland Winch products.
Or you could buy something that gets good reviews for the same money...

Quote:
As a Jeep owner, you likely won't need a winch larger than 8000 pounds.
Fixed it...

Quote:
If you would like to read some positive literature regarding the winches, visit your local Harbor Freight Tools Store. Speak with a manager who will provide a write up written by Consumer Reports trialists. I have had a 12000 lbs Badland Winch for more than 5 years, have used it every hunting trip and it exceeds my expectations. Good Luck.
While harbor freight is a great store, the product quality from them isnt always top notch (there generators suck for one). And consumer reports is laughable...

OP, remember the rating of 6k lbs is its max load, you will see lower numbers depending on how far the line is spooled in/out. Also the load is not just the weight of the vehicle, but the resistance from how stuck it may be. And you also may want to think about who you wheel with, and their weight. They may have something bigger, so you may want the extra capacity.
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
so i dont know if i should get this or not.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ake-68141.html

what is you opinion on this product?

thanks
I would say 6k is cutting it too close. If you want to go cheap you can get a 8k Shmitty Built for probably not much more.

I would spend the few dollars more and get a better winch, but that is just me.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

my neighbor can get me a ****tybilt 8k for 250. case closed.

Unread 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That would be a better choice than your first.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
then why pose the question?
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

its several months old

Unread 02-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

that would do it
2011 Patriot FD1

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.