Automatic Tranny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Automatic Tranny

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 08-08-2001, 12:56 AM   #1
Wildbill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Automatic Tranny

I currently have a '79 CJ-5 with a 304 & 3spd, I love it but am thinking about buying a newer CJ-7 or Wrangler. I have found a few that I like but they have auto trannies can any one give me some Pros & Cons about driving with a 6cyl. and auto tran offroad?

[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #23[/COLOR]

'92 [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] YJ 4.0 HO, 5spd.
'04 [COLOR=silver]Bright Silver[/COLOR] Liberty Sport 4X4 3.7L Stock for now
[URL]www.peaceriverjeepers.com[/URL]

What do a Divorce in Alabama, A Tornado in Kansas and a Hurricane in Florida all have in common?.....No matter what someone is fixin' to lose a trailer
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2001, 10:49 PM   #2
jmwxj

I can't think of too many cons. I think an automatic gives you a lot of control and it's one less pedal to mess with when you are in tough situations. The only con I can think of with an automatic is motor braking when making steep decents.
Unread 08-10-2001, 12:34 AM   #3
GroundUpCJ7

Only a few that you like, come on, admit it...you like them all! After all, they are Jeeps. I have a 1980 with a 304 and an automatic, but am swapping it for a T176. Why? Well, let's just say I am a driving purist. I like all my vehicles to have clutches. There really isn't a good reason not to have an automatic, except the engine braking issue. As far as take off's, an automatic will shift you through gears faster and smoother than your left leg will. This is great for loose stuff, such as sand, because you won't break traction after your shift. The automatics get marginally better gas mileage, depending on your driving habits, but going from a 304 to a 258 will provide a bigger difference. Depending on the model year, you may be stuck with full time full wheel drive with free wheeling hubs. That's good for when you get stuck in the mud because all you do is lock the hubs and go, but I personally don't like turning all that extra gearing up front when I don't need to. If you want an automatic for your CJ5, I've got a nice TH 400 drive trane that I'm not using. Good luck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.