Automatic lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Automatic lockers

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-07-2001, 10:45 AM   #1
Doc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Automatic lockers

I'm planning to upgrade my gears (from 3.07 to 3.73) and get a locker installed at the same time. The kit comes with an automatic detroit locker. I've read that these can cause mild handling quirks in my jeep on the pavement. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this going to be a major problem? Is it worth it? Any and all comments welcome!

Unread 08-10-2001, 12:36 AM   #2
GroundUpCJ7

I don't know anything about the lockers, but I would suggest considering a 4.10 or even a 4.56. I know guys who have gone to a 4.10 and didn't feel they went far enough. I have a 3.73, but I also have the super torquy 304.
Unread 08-11-2001, 09:21 PM   #3
Doc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I thought I would stop at 3.73 because this jeep also is my basic transportation, and I still need it to be a prety good street vehicle. I'm still uncertain about the locker. It sounds like it will definately make it more trail worthy. My jeep only has a 2" lift, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad on the highway. Any other thoughts out there?
Unread 08-21-2001, 06:49 AM   #4
Cinderella

Doc,

I have Lock-Rights installed on my 92 YJ. (both front and rear). "Cjeep" is right, you have to get used to it. Once you do, it's perfectly acceptable. The corner-handling is different as the torque is send to the wheel with the most grip ( which means the inner wheel in a corner, the complete opposite as with an open differential!) I drove it 750 miles to the south of france on the highway, no problem! And above all: off-road capability is DRASTICALLY improved. The only thing you can have better is ARB air-lockers front and rear. In that case, on-road handling is unaffected.

Enjoy!

92YJ (2,5L 4cyl, K&N-Cyclone-restrictor.removed..., HP-exhaust,HD clutch, 2,5"SL,1"BL, Rancho, SYE, Revolver, Quick Disconnects, telescopic track-bar, 33*9.5*15MT)WARN9000
Cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2001, 02:40 PM   #5
Doc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for your input. After going over everything, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead with the locker. I spun the tires a few times on my last off road outing, and I think having the locker will make going off road a lot easier and will be worth dealing with a little street rudeness.
Unread 09-06-2001, 11:47 AM   #6
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You really should reconsider the advice on gears. If you're going to spend the money on gears, then you might as well get at least one additional turn out of the driveshaft. Meaning a gearset that's at least one number higher. Otherwise, don't bother wasting the money on the gears because the performance to cost ratio doesn't cut it. I understand you want the street performance. I'm a bit on the more extreme side on ratios, but my Jeep is a daily driver, 50 miles roundtrip everyday. I'm running 5.13s with 35s right now. Pick your gear ratio carefully and make it relative to the tire size you plan on running and you'll get what you pay for.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.