Any Warn winch experts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Any Warn winch experts?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any Warn winch experts?

I recently came into a smoking deal on an older Warn X8000i winch, but its going to require a decent amount of TLC to get it ready to mount. I've been looking for a winch to switch between my Jeep and car/equipment trailer, and I believe this one will fit the bill perfectly.

Here are a few pics. As you can see, it has seen better days. The solenoid cover and remote are missing, but everything else appears to be there (with exception to the fairlead and mounting plate).

Here are a few of the solenoid assembly and associated wiring. I haven't had a chance to test the solenoids, but was told everything worked correctly. Its been sitting in a shed for quite some time now, out of the weather, but had spent its previous life on the front of an 18' car hauler.

Any suggestions on how to clean these connecting bars?

At first, I was unable to get the winch to go into "Free Spool", so I went ahead and pulled the planetary gear assembly. The internal gears look OK, but the grease has all hardened and deteriorated. It will certainly have to be cleaned, and I'll likely have to pull the gears to figure out why it won't go into free spool mode. Any suggestions?

Once the end assembly was off, I could remove the cable. The cable was in fair shape, but had its share of nicks and frays. Not sure what I will do with the cable, but I am leaning towards replacing it with synthetic line.

Drum is in decent shape, but need to be cleaned up a bit. I will likely repaint the assembly once I've got it back into correct working order.

I haven't had a chance to actually test the motor, as I am not sure how to go about it without the remote. I've considered doing away completely with the top cover, and simply doing a remote install of the solenoids inside the engine bay of the Jeep. Only problem with this is, I can't easily switch it between the Jeep and the trailer....so, it looks like I will have to find the cover.

Anyone rebuilt a winch similar to the X8000i? Anything I need to look out for? I already have Warn on speed dial, but haven't called yet.

jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Varsol, kerosene or diesel works for cleaning with a brush.
Aeroshell 33 for grease is great.
Get a wiring diagram for wiring and just test the solenoids separately.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Varsol, kerosene or diesel works for cleaning with a brush.
Aeroshell 33 for grease is great.
Get a wiring diagram for wiring and just test the solenoids separately.

X2, Also contact warn for a new cover I am sure they have some around. You could always wire up a incab winch controller
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaning up and re greasing the planetary gears and housing is easy and a good idea to do. I did mine the other day on my M8000. Granted I used the parts washer at work, is still wouldn't be much harder without one.

When i talked to Warn, they recommend that it is done yearly if there is a possibility of the winch seeing water (the rep I talked to suggested in the spring/summer since it is more likely to get wet during fall and winter). They also recommended that a dark grease with moly should spread onto the gears. They don't need to be packed full of grease but rather given a good coating.

If the free spool was acting anything like mine was (lever would only shift halfway between locked and free) I bet cleaning and greasing the planetary assembly's and housing will help. There is a sliding gear that controls whether the winch will free spool or not and that appeared to be stuck in mine. It works just fine now.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
Cleaning up and re greasing the planetary gears and housing is easy and a good idea to do. I did mine the other day on my M8000. Granted I used the parts washer at work, is still wouldn't be much harder without one.

When i talked to Warn, they recommend that it is done yearly if there is a possibility of the winch seeing water (the rep I talked to suggested in the spring/summer since it is more likely to get wet during fall and winter). They also recommended that a dark grease with moly should spread onto the gears. They don't need to be packed full of grease but rather given a good coating.

If the free spool was acting anything like mine was (lever would only shift halfway between locked and free) I bet cleaning and greasing the planetary assembly's and housing will help. There is a sliding gear that controls whether the winch will free spool or not and that appeared to be stuck in mine. It works just fine now.

Thick or old grease makes freespooling the winch a PITA.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw

Thick or old grease makes freespooling the winch a PITA.
Mine is less than a year old and it was being a PITA. It appears to have a had a bath though sometime in that time which will also cause issues.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just rebuilt my M8000 a few months ago. You can get parts at GoWarn.com, which is actually a part of 4WheelParts now. There are a few good rebuild write-ups around the web, just Google it.
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I lucked into a remote this weekend, but I am not sure whether or not it can be wired to work correctly with the Warn. Its a Dayton 4X088 remote for one of Dayton's 115v electric winches (which I assume are normally used in boat lifts). I picked it up for under $10, and I figured it would be worth that to take a chance. I have my fingers crossed that it can be wired in, but I'm not too confident. I believe the Warn winches use either 3 or 5 wire connectors for the remotes, and this model has 4 wires. Looking at the schematic for the Dayton remote, any chance I can use it with the Warn?

Unread 06-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't see why not. I need a remote for my trailer, I'm going to try this one. You need to hook up a meter and find out which wires control in and out on the controller. Then you can compare it to a print for the warn. The 5 wire warn controls power and ground. Good luck, Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quick update, I was able to get the winch working 100%, and was able to use the Dayton remote pictured above...I'll post a few pics later once I get a chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.