anti theft winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > anti theft winch

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
anti theft winch

I know that there have been numerous discussions about this, but I am looking for one particular post about it.

My wife was kind enough to hook me up with a new winch for x-mas, now I am concerned about mounting it so that it will make it harder to get swiped.

I am aware of the tuffy bolt locks, but I would like to make it harder to get all the bolts out, and I do not want to spend the money for 4 of the tuffy bolt locks at 35 dollars each. I could just get one of the bolt locks, but I would sleep better knowing all 4 bolts are protected.

about a month ago or so, someone was kind enough to post pics/diagrams of a setup where they used metal "c" channel to cover the bolts to prevent a wrench from being able to get to the bolt heads. when you wanted to remove the bolts, you would have to grind off the top of the c-channel to expose the bolt heads.

anyone remember this post?

as a plan-B, I have heard of people hitting the bottom of the bolt threads with a tack weld to basically ruin the threads to prevent someone from removing the bolt. someone mentioned that by doing this, it could effect the integrity of the bolt and make it weaker.

I know nothing will make it theft proof, I just want to slow them down enough to give me time to get the gun out of the safe.

thanks.

Unread 12-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well I have had my winch on since 1999 and it's still on. Why not just do 2 kitty corner from each other that should be more than enough to deter people.
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If ya do a search on the web, there is a place that sell's anti-theft, bolts and nuts....similer to the Barrie Nuts used to keep fog lights secure...you can just replace the regular nuts with the security ones and your set to go....
Shortbus Offroad Team #242
sponsored by
www.rockkrawler.com, GOODYEAR TIRES, http://www.browndogoffroad.com/ , Solid Axle Industries, Genright,
Sahara01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
xxxflhrci

Put the bolts in, then use a slightly oversized socket and an impact gun to round them off nice and smooth. Nobody will steal your winch.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
happycamper
1986 XJ Cherokee 

a Friend of mine just welded a piece of metal, across the top of the head of both bolts, on each side, it would take quite bit of work to remove them, which should keep your basic thieves away, but like anything else if they want it bad enough, theres nothing you can do to stop them.( well almost, 9mm seem to work )
Gone but not forgot. 2000 Sahara 4.0, auto, 4"rock krawler x factor long arm, 33x12.50x15 M.T. Mtz, M.T. classic lock rims,30/44 limited slip, land runner safari rack, land runner front, and rear bumpers, warn 8000i winch, cobra cb, jks 1.25" bl, brown dog 1" mm lift.AA sye, J.E. Reel drive shaft, Aussie locker, Rock Crusher front cover
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
YellowNJTJ02

Weld the nuts and bolts to eachother... it makes it tough to unscrew them that way
D30 Front Powertrax No-Slip - 4.56
33" BFGs, Snorkel, Warn x8ki w/ 5/16" synthetic
Bulletproof Bumper up front, Warn Rear SOTC
YellowNJTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
c.a. jones
2006 LJ Wrangler 

use red locktite on a couple of the bolts----takes some torch heat to break the nuts from the bolts--its quick
c.a. jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.a. jones
use red locktite on a couple of the bolts----takes some torch heat to break the nuts from the bolts--its quick
That's actually how I did mine. Some naysayer's scoffed at the idea of Loctite. However, if your threads are clean when you put it on the red stuff on the bolt isn't gonna be taken out with a ratchet. It will take a torch to loosen up the threadlocker.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.a. jones

should a monster breaker bar be able to crack the seal on the red locktite?

I used some before (maybe I installed it wrong) and it was easy to crack with a 18inch breaker bar. I am not calling you out or anything, but if the red will do the job, then that would make things much much easier.

I may go with one of the tuffy bolt locks, and locktite on all four bolts.

thanks for the replies.
Unread 12-25-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
awlamas

I got a warn for Xmas too and i think im just going to mount it and then weld the bolts
awlamas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
jeeptraxx

Use epoxy , as crazy as this idea sounds use torx or allen head bolts (and no I don't like torx bolts )get the hardest epoxy you can get an fill the bolt head so its flush.when someone tries to steal it they have to use a pipe wrench or vise grips, most thieves don't want the extra trouble.
Basicly it just keeps the honest people honest.
If you need to remove it ....drill out the center of the epoxy and use a chisel or screw driver to get the rest out .

I''ve been using this for 15 yrs and never had my winch stolen......they did get the Jeep last year .
jeeptraxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul olllllllo
about a month ago or so, someone was kind enough to post pics/diagrams of a setup where they used metal "c" channel to cover the bolts to prevent a wrench from being able to get to the bolt heads. when you wanted to remove the bolts, you would have to grind off the top of the c-channel to expose the bolt heads.

anyone remember this post?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...33#post1718533

Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of?
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awlamas
I got a warn for Xmas too and i think im just going to mount it and then weld the bolts
Better to weld a piece of scrap steel over the top of a bolt or two to serve as a barrier. Welding the bolts really isn't a good idea as doing so can ruin their heat treatment and weaken them. Not to mention the fact grinding the welds off so a socket wrench can fit onto the bolt again is easier said than done.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Since my winch has been on my jeep since 79 when I bought them new I haven't worried too much about this part. I have been reading the threads where then punks srung the cable over the hard top. I have some D rings on the front and thought about locking the cable loop to one of them.

I know a smart person could still pull the cable out, but with the end locked they minght not think that far.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #15
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...33#post1718533

Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of?

pyro, that is exactly the post i was referring to.

thanks alot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.