Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #91
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! I'm enjoying watching your progress.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #92
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mounting the fenders.
Funny how a simple thing like turning the brackets over could make a world of difference. This way they'll be farther away from the tire. Tomorrow I'll pull the wheels off and drill a few holes. Still trying to decide where the spare should go; front, back or in the trailer. Off the tailgate seemed like a good idea with a plate attached to the frame for the tire to rest on. When I would need to take the tailgate off I would undo the latches and pick the spare and tailgate off in one piece?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-639877583.jpg

Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #93
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good - those brackets look more HD than what you had on there before. Looking forward to seeing what the new fenders look like on your trailer (so I'll have an idea of what they'll look like on mine). Also looking forward to seeing how you tie them into the tub.
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #94
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

New Fenders on
Fenders on and are pretty sturdy. I'm still going to put a 3/8" bolt through the tub and through the center side of the fender. Then I'll take them off and paint the brackets and grind one of the corners that sticks out a little on each side of the fender. There's plenty of clearance for the tire. It got dark fast, but from the front looking back they pretty much cover the tire. NEXT, mount the spare.

image-4208966843.jpg

Unread 09-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #95
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
New Fenders on
Fenders on and are pretty sturdy. I'm still going to put a 3/8" bolt through the tub and through the center side of the fender. Then I'll take them off and paint the brackets and grind one of the corners that sticks out a little on each side of the fender. There's plenty of clearance for the tire. It got dark fast, but from the front looking back they pretty much cover the tire. NEXT, mount the spare.

Awesome.

If you put just one bolt on the center side, you might get a little flex still since the edges are just bent over. On mine (since I don't have a welder and didn't want to take it to get welded) I drilled a hole where the edges meet and put a nut/bolt/couple of washers to tie it in. Maybe I'm just cheap.
fender-reinforcement.jpg  
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #96
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN
Awesome. If you put just one bolt on the center side, you might get a little flex still since the edges are just bent over. On mine (since I don't have a welder and didn't want to take it to get welded) I drilled a hole where the edges meet and put a nut/bolt/couple of washers to tie it in. Maybe I'm just cheap.
My brother has a mig welder, maybe I'll have him run a bead down the backside. The bolt looks good also. Pretty sure I bought the same brackets as you. The side you have to pound flat is the side I put to the frame. I used a 3/8 bolt there. That pushed the bracket away from the tire. You'll be happy with these fenders and there's almost complete coverage with the 205/75 15" wheels. We have the same axle too. I think.

Unread 09-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #97
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My brother has a mig welder, maybe I'll have him run a bead down the backside. The bolt looks good also. Pretty sure I bought the same brackets as you. The side you have to pound flat is the side I put to the frame. I used a 3/8 bolt there. That pushed the bracket away from the tire. You'll be happy with these fenders and there's almost complete coverage with the 205/75 15" wheels. We have the same axle too. I think.

Yes; we have the same trailer frame, axle, and tire size, fender brackets, and now fenders. The new fenders look really good on yours - I'm looking forward to putting them on mine. I'm still really liking the metal box on yours.

I bought my trailer frame through Harbor Freight (they no longer carry it), and it wasn't till later I found Deiequipment and saw the optional box. Your trailer is a perfect example of a bolt together - and - go trailer; not much fabrication needed. Hopefully there are other folks out there that will be following your lead.

So now I'll be watching to see where you end up mounting your spare tire.
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #98
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Painted the spare today

They're not a perfect match, but close enough.

image-138956800.jpg

image-1626295500.jpg

image-4005828935.jpg

image-569443112.jpg

image-1235256786.jpg

Unread 09-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #99
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fenders mounted. Check
I used some wire cover tubing to cover the bolts from the box to the fenders. Fenders are secure, but I wouldn't stand on them because of the metal box flex. Maybe I'll paint the fender brackets. It's Sunday 5:00 California time and it's time to fire up the BBQ.

image-2926980446.jpg

image-3005403310.jpg

image-3739544587.jpg

image-3370217932.jpg

image-2609502910.jpg

Unread 09-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #100
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like your new fenders and mounting cover your tires perfectly - seems like you've had a pretty painless build. Looking forward to seeing how you end up mounting your spare tire, and pictures of the trailer's first trail run/adventure write-up.

When you put a little up or downward pressure on your fenders, do the box panels flex any, or does it seem pretty sturdy?

Did you decide against the bumperettes on the rear?
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #101
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN
It looks like your new fenders and mounting cover your tires perfectly - seems like you've had a pretty painless build. Looking forward to seeing how you end up mounting your spare tire, and pictures of the trailer's first trail run/adventure write-up. When you put a little up or downward pressure on your fenders, do the box panels flex any, or does it seem pretty sturdy? Did you decide against the bumperettes on the rear?
If you push down on the fenders the side panels will flex a little. It's thin metal. I wouldn't step on them. I have some 3/16" x 1" strips of metal. I could run a piece from top to bottom, I'm not sure it's necessary.. I'll find a decal or plaque that says "NO STEP". I did end up buying the bumperette, they're sitting on the build table waiting there turn. They might need to be heated and bent a little.

I'm trying to make this jeep tire bracket work that I got for free, but I might throw in the towel and buy one from rugged ridge that's almost identical. I want the mount to keep the tire an inch at least from the box to be able to put this cover or a solid cover on? The person that had it knocked (ripped) out the two stock studs and drilled two new holes for 5 on 5.5. I would need to weld in bolts, because the rim is so thin you need threads all the way to the base of the mount. Front or back, front or back? I would like the front tongue area for a cooler. Thoughts? Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-3413117829.jpg

Unread 09-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #102
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you push down on the fenders the side panels will flex a little. It's thin metal. I wouldn't step on them. I have some 3/16" x 1" strips of metal. I could run a piece from top to bottom, I'm not sure it's necessary.. I'll find a decal or plaque that says "NO STEP". I did end up buying the bumperette, they're sitting on the build table waiting there turn. They might need to be heated and bent a little.

I'm trying to make this jeep tire bracket work that I got for free, but I might throw in the towel and buy one from rugged ridge that's almost identical. I want the mount to keep the tire an inch at least from the box to be able to put this cover or a solid cover on? The person that had it knocked (ripped) out the two stock studs and drilled two new holes for 5 on 5.5. I would need to weld in bolts, because the rim is so thin you need threads all the way to the base of the mount. Front or back, front or back? I would like the front tongue area for a cooler. Thoughts? Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Thoughts (since you asked).

DO NOT BUY THIS AFTERMARKET SPARE TIRE CARRIER (pictured below)!!!!

I bought one for my TJ when I first put larger tires and wheels on it. It makes the tire stick out a couple inches further than the factory piece. I ended up taking it off and modified the mount for the factory spare tire carrier to raise it up a bit (the whole purpose was for the larger spare to clear the rear bumper). I've still got it - wish I had never bought it. You want the tire as far in (close to the panel) as possible.

Get a nicer used factory spare tire carrier. They are plenty out there and fairly cheap. You'll have plenty of room to still use your canvas cover.

I would mount the spare on the rear panel, and put the cooler up front. You might have to more firmly attach the back panel to the rest of the box if you do this though. If you mount a 2" receiver tube to the rear of your trailer (and tie it into the rest of the trailer's tongue) you could rest the spare on the receiver tube (takes stress of the rear panel).
spare-tire-carrier.jpg

Unread 09-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #103
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

YJ Bumperetts Semi-Mounted Well after starring at these bumperettes for a couple of weeks, I finally figured out a way to mount them. I was hung up on using the four bolts already on each side, what's two more bolts on each side. It might make the back of the frame stronger? By turning them upside down and flipping them this way and that things lined up. One side of the bumperettes holes are closer to the outside. I'll have to drill to holes on each side and the bumpers will lay flat and right next to the supports for the tailgate. I'm thinking that the spare will rest between the bumpers with a bracket to the tailgate. Bumpers will hold the load of the tire. Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-1622563147.jpg

image-2353474438.jpg

image-3751085012.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #104
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Almost the same pictures, but during the day and completely bolted on. I like em. Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-3699024451.jpg

image-3667520210.jpg

image-3681499344.jpg

Unread 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #105
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome - those bumperettes look just right on a trailer built to be pulled behind a Jeep. I'm going to have to put a pair on the back of mine. Looks great on your black trailer, and would look good on a HF red trailer (to go along with their black fenders). If someone puts a pair on their red trailer please post a picture.

I'm looking forward to seeing your spare tire mounted on the rear as you were saying with the bumperettes supporting the weight of the tire. I hadn't thought of that as an option (the bumperettes supporting the tire's weight). So if you go with the factory Jeep spare tire carrier it will be interesting to see how far the tire sticks out, and the relationship between the tire and the bumperettes (how well it sits on the bumperettes).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.