Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 09-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #76
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
I'm curious what you've got planned for the trailer that you're getting the rear stabilizers for? A roof top tent maybe?
I'm not sure, but I do like the MOAB tent from Top-Tent. If I wanted to sit on the back of the trailer or load it while it's not hooked up it wouldn't fly up in the air. The corner brackets help with stiffening the frame and they just bolted in 15 minutes. That was after I cut the wiring lights again because I used the holes in the corner to neatly bring the rear lights wiring into the frame. Build Tip, every hole has a purpose.
http://top-tent.com/moabtents?Itemid=143

Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #77
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post
Dinoot sells stabilizers that extend up to 21.75" long, I know a lot of there trailers end up of 31" and taller tires so I suspect that these would work for you.

http://www.dinoot.com/pricing/genera...onents-pricing
I like those, they have the ratchet lift in them vs. the Amor Rex are fixed. These will work for now with a block or two. I did order a box of ten of the plastic stackable leveling blocks. These forums are a plethora of knowledge, suggestions and resources. Thanks to everyone!
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #78
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Trailer Hitch Decision

There's many option here. I want to pull the trailer, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on assorted pieces just to pull it today. armyRN's stacked 2" +or- square tubing would bring the coupler up. Then I could have both a Ball Coupler & the 3-Axis Coupler on a 2" square stock to change back and forth. I need a metal chop saw or band saw?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-3414055817.jpg

image-3054542500.jpg

image-1045892587.jpg

image-2112300328.jpg

image-3886943756.jpg

Unread 09-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #79
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Painted a Rim

Painted a rim today to match the jeep wheels. Looks better than straight silver.

image-267521236.jpg

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #80
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Trailer Hitch Decision

There's many option here. I want to pull the trailer, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on assorted pieces just to pull it today. armyRN's stacked 2" +or- square tubing would bring the coupler up. Then I could have both a Ball Coupler & the 3-Axis Coupler on a 2" square stock to change back and forth. I need a metal chop saw or band saw?

The 12" receiver tubing thing I purchased at HF. The 8" long 2.5" square inside tubing I bought at a welding shop. They had a huge metal band saw there, so for a few dollars he cut the angles before torching a strip off the bottom and welding the two pieces together. You don't HAVE to cut the angles (but I would recommend it); I mainly did it for asthetic purposes, and to make access to the bolts on the inside easier. It was a fairly inexpensive project.

And your wheels are looking great.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #81
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hitch issue resolved for now.
I went with an adjustable hitch. I had to cut 2" off the receiver end of the square stock. The ROCKHARD 4x4 rear bumper is close to the PUREJEEP gas tank skid plate. I used a hacksaw, should have went and got my dad's sawsall. Looks great together and would be easy to forget its back there. The fenders are flapping around so I couldn't drive it far. I ordered the bigger fenders like armyRN and those should be here this week.

image-908942846.jpg

image-1952846335.jpg

image-1904827722.jpg

image-1951679496.jpg

Unread 09-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #82
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hitch issue resolved for now.
I went with an adjustable hitch. I had to cut 2" off the receiver end of the square stock. The ROCKHARD 4x4 rear bumper is close to the PUREJEEP gas tank skid plate. I used a hacksaw, should have went and got my dad's sawsall. Looks great together and would be easy to forget its back there. The fenders are flapping around so I couldn't drive it far. I ordered the bigger fenders like armyRN and those should be here this week.

It looks really good! Hopefully your canvas top won't fly off when going down the road. Your wheels really look nice with matching the Jeep's pattern.

And now that I think about it, I think I had to cut a little off my hitch too so the holes would line up with the receiver. I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel - still took a bit of time and effort.

When I replaced my trailer's factory slipper spring suspension with a longer spring and shackle set-up, it raised the trailer an inch (measured at the midpoint on the fender). It wasn't the reason for doing the suspension swap, but it was a nice side benefit. It's about a $100 project or less depending on whether or not you swap out the U-bolts and spring plates or stick with the factory pieces.

It sounds like you had the same experience with your fenders as I did when I took it on its maiden voyage - fenders flapping. Once I put the four bolts on each side to tie the fender in with the box I had no further issues; it's solid.

You'll have to tell us what kind of compliments you get on the trailer.
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #83
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I probably didn't go more than 100 yards. The canvas top needs to be sewn in the corners and a couple of grommets on all sides to hold it down. If you could see close up I forgot to tighten the ball. I guess I would have tested the safety chains. I bought your fenders and then I'll secure them. I might have to redo the wiring harness, it's too snug at the jeep end. Every time I added something I seemed to have used the hole to tuck it into the frame. I had to re-splice the wires twice on both sides. Easy fix. TTYL

Unread 09-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #84
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think they sell extension pieces for trailer wiring. At least for the four-wire flat plug (if that's what you're using); check the trailer wiring section at our local auto parts store.

http://www.marine-products.com/wesba...ay-707254.html
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #85
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tonight I got a alterations woman to stitch the four corners of the cover. I came in and she put in the leather needle and some thick black thread and ran two 4" long stitches on all for corners. I said, "how much will I owe you?". 10.00. Who carries that kind of cash around. I said I have 6.00 dollars, but I'll run to the store and be right back. She said 6 is fine, I'll charge you double next time! LOL, right. Any way, it fits nice. Next update will be the new fenders, Monday.

image-4233766943.jpg

Unread 09-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #86
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Tonight I got a alterations woman to stitch the four corners of the cover. I came in and she put in the leather needle and some thick black thread and ran two 4" long stitches on all for corners. I said, "how much will I owe you?". 10.00. Who carries that kind of cash around. I said I have 6.00 dollars, but I'll run to the store and be right back. She said 6 is fine, I'll charge you double next time! LOL, right. Any way, it fits nice. Next update will be the new fenders, Monday.

It just keeps getting better. I like the top with the grommets. How about something like this as a concept for securing the canvas top:

http://www.easternmarine.com/bolt-on...-cargo-control

http://www.easternmarine.com/bungee-...le-balls-06344

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Bungee-Co...=pd_sim_auto_1

They sell different types of cargo hooks, and I would get some shorter bungee cord toggle ball things. But you could mount them all around the trailer's cargo box.
bungee-balls.jpg

cargo-hook.jpg

Unread 09-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #87
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

New Fender vs. Old Fender

Well, the new fenders came today Army. Had a Jeep Club meeting tonight so I didn't have time to mess with them. I am a little disappointed, but I think there going to be just fine. A better picture would be setting each fender on the tire. The new fender does cover more tire area. Stay tuned this week to see the finished fenders. Maybe I can get some snap in plugs for those holes. I'm going to run bolts through the tub then a 1" or so bushing and then through the top side of the fender.

image-539978184.jpg

image-3840583727.jpg

Unread 09-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #88
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm looking forward to seeing them firmly installed on your trailer. You mentioned you were slightly disappointed - why? On mine I think they'll be just the ticket since I've got some self-imposed space limitations (with the gas cans on the side). I have no idea what to do with the old fenders once I put the new ones on - anybody need a pair of fenders?

Has your Jeep club got to check out your new trailer yet? You guys got a trip planned for where you'll take the trailer? Looking forward to some action photos.

I'll probably do what you're going to do with the holes on the top - put some snap-in plugs (or push plugs; whatever they're called). Probably like what's used to hold plastic fender liners in place.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #89
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN
I'm looking forward to seeing them firmly installed on your trailer. You mentioned you were slightly disappointed - why? On mine I think they'll be just the ticket since I've got some self-imposed space limitations (with the gas cans on the side). I have no idea what to do with the old fenders once I put the new ones on - anybody need a pair of fenders?

Has your Jeep club got to check out your new trailer yet? You guys got a trip planned for where you'll take the trailer? Looking forward to some action photos.

I'll probably do what you're going to do with the holes on the top - put some snap-in plugs (or push plugs; whatever they're called). Probably like what's used to hold plastic fender liners in place.
One of the guys saw the trailer on Facebook and liked it. He watched the progress. We have a trail brushing at Cow Mountain, Ukiah, CA SVRA with cooperation of BLM In October. He mentioned in the meeting that I had a new trailer I could bring up. No no no. I don't want to get it dirty. LOL. This week I need to get the spare tire mounted and the fenders on.

Unread 09-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #90
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Spare Tire Carrier

My local Jeep Speed Shop had a spare tire carrier laying around and he gave it to me. I think this is going to work just fine. It looks big, but it's only an 1.5" to 2" from the bed. The wheel will rest on the front of the frame after I lay down some extra sheet metal over the triangle in the front. After they replaced the two side panels of the box they never picked up the return, bonus!

image-4100101517.jpg

image-4056843370.jpg

image-4054680281.jpg

image-4229627532.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.