Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #61
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a mock up of a CJ / YJ bumperette. If I want to use the existing bolts in the back I'll need to drill some new holes. I'm not sure if I'll move forward with them. I'd like them more if they were scaled down about 25%. Yes or No? Would a new pair line up better?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

image-285007325.jpg

image-291134377.jpg

Unread 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #62
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What to do with the spare? I saw armyRN's on the front and seems a little heavy for the tongue, although the weight in the trailer would probably counter balance the load? How about under the the trailer like a truck? Here's a picture of the spare beneath the frame just ahead of the axle. For a street trailer it would ork.

image-2245056017.jpg

image-2126629715.jpg

image-710975012.jpg

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #63
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
What to do with the spare? I saw armyRN's on the front and seems a little heavy for the tongue, although the weight in the trailer would probably counter balance the load? How about under the the trailer like a truck? Here's a picture of the spare beneath the frame just ahead of the axle. For a street trailer it would ork.

I'd still vote for finding a tailgate spare tire carrier from a YJ or TJ and mounting it on the front panel with the tire resting on the tongue. That way the front metal panel isn't supporting all the weight of the tire. The spare is not that heavy, and if anything you want to bias the weight in/of the trailer forward of the trailer's axle. Plus using a YJ/TJ tailgate spare tire holder moves the tire out from the trailer box so it won't interfere with mounting your canvas box cover.

I'm just glad you're wanting to carry a spare on your trailer - folks are crazy (or short-sighted) when they don't.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #64
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here's a mock up of a CJ / YJ bumperette. If I want to use the existing bolts in the back I'll need to drill some new holes. I'm not sure if I'll move forward with them. I'd like them more if they were scaled down about 25%. Yes or No? Would a new pair line up better?

I like the look, but I agree; it would be nice if you could find a scaled-down version. They do look a little big, but if someone had their trailer spare tire mounted on the rear of the box it would look ok. Like I'm thinking of doing with mine....

These bumperettes for Jeeps are pretty much all the same size, so I don't think a new pair would make any difference. You can always bring the ends in a little bit with some force. I think the old old Toyota Landcruisers had bumperettes on their rear, but I don't know if they were any smaller. I'll have to see what I can google.

It's your call.

Update: drew a blank trying to find some smaller bumperettes. And if anything, the Toyota Landcruiser ones looked even larger than the Jeep ones.
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #65
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Canvas cover tacked down at the corners. Still can't believe a canvas soccer banner that was in the garage for 10 years was the exact fit for the trailer box. Tomorrow the tires & rims arrive. Finally, the trailer comes off the jack stands. Because I bought the wider axle while I was building the trailer it hasn't seen the pavement yet.

image-3935780047.jpg

Unread 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #66
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It just keeps getting better and better. Looking forward to hearing about its maiden voyage.
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #67
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A rolling trailer!

Finally the wheels showed up. I came home from work and threw on my shorts and t-shirt and went to work. Tightened the u bolts on the axle and threw the rims on. It was a good feeling to be able to move the trailer around. It was a big brick in the garage. Next is to figure out the hitch. It's going to take a 4 to 5 inch drop to be semi level. It's 24" to the bottom of the receiver on the jeep and 18.5" to the bottom of the tongue. All though there's some more little things to do, it's ready to hook up and take her for a spin.

image-3028869658.jpg

image-34698425.jpg

image-2427455106.jpg

image-988673537.jpg

Unread 09-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #68
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Next is to figure out the hitch. It's going to take a 4 to 5 inch drop to be semi level. It's 24" to the bottom of the receiver on the jeep and 18.5" to the bottom of the tongue.
A couple alternatives to using a very large drop hitch could include:
1) Adding lift blocks to the trailer to raise the trailer a little higher
2) raise the coupler up on the trailer similar to how ArmyRN has his Pintle Ring set up.

Keeping the receiver high has advantages if the trailer ever gets off pavement as the higher position helps to keep it out of harms way.
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #69
Gabe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed.

How much weight do you think the side walls of the box can hold? Say a 50lb kayak?

Also, how quickly could you remove the sides of the box if you wanted to have a flatbed for something?
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #70
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBender View Post
A couple alternatives to using a very large drop hitch could include:
1) Adding lift blocks to the trailer to raise the trailer a little higher
2) raise the coupler up on the trailer similar to how ArmyRN has his Pintle Ring set up.

Keeping the receiver high has advantages if the trailer ever gets off pavement as the higher position helps to keep it out of harms way.
With the coupler thingy I made, you can still use your ball mount if you don't want to go the pintle ring route. You just bolt the coupler to a length of 2" square tubing. It'll also raise it up some (a good thing).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post13835579

Another advantage of going this route is it will lengthen your trailer's tongue. In the picture you can see where the coupler was originally bolted to the tongue compared to where it is now (the two bolts on the tongue used by the 2" receiver adapter thingy). Obviously you should limit how far you go in trying to lengthen your trailer's tongue going this route; on mine it's at least a foot longer with this set-up.

I used one of these adjustable hitches before I did the tongue conversion/pintle hitch thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Drop-Ba...441#vi-content

I also used it when moving the trailer across the country behind my wife's minivan (the picture below was while getting the trailer ready for the move). It worked out well, and wasn't that expensive. Some of the adjustable hitches I looked at didn't adjust/drop down as much as I wanted; this one did. I picked it up at my local auto parts store (Auto Zone if I remember correctly).

And I just noticed there's free shipping on the adjustable hitch I gave the link to above. I don't know if it's the exact same brand as the one I bought, but it looks identical. Looks like the site has quite a few options for adjustable height/drop hitches.
trailer-coupler-ball-hitch-003.jpg  
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #71
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

3-Axis Coupler Parts

armyRN, I'm going to check out Auto-Zone for that hitch. I did notice that the link on Ebay says it has a 5/8" hole for the ball? Seems small. I saw some 1-7/8 balls at TSC with 1" shafts and I have 3/4" one also, but 5/8"?

I also started gathering parts for the 3-Axis Coupler. 40.00 + change so far. We have a local metal shop that I think I can pick up the square tubing from scrapes. 5" and 8" pieces, instead of buying the finished products. At least the one that mounts to the receiver.
hitch_parts.jpg  
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #72
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
armyRN, I'm going to check out Auto-Zone for that hitch. I did notice that the link on Ebay says it has a 5/8" hole for the ball? Seems small. I saw some 1-7/8 balls at TSC with 1" shafts and I have 3/4" one also, but 5/8"?

I also started gathering parts for the 3-Axis Coupler. 40.00 + change so far. We have a local metal shop that I think I can pick up the square tubing from scrapes. 5" and 8" pieces, instead of buying the finished products. At least the one that mounts to the receiver.
I looked at the link to see what you were looking at (I also noticed it had free shipping for the hitches - very cool). What I'm thinking they were trying to say was the hole in the square tubing to connect inside the receiver was a 5/8" hole. 2" receivers usually (if not always) take a 5/8" receiver hitch pin.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Access...rt/C21500.html

When I've got the option, I always go for the hitch ball with the 1" shaft. I don't remember what size the hole is on the hitch I got, but I'm wanting to say it is a 1". Usually they come with a 1" hole, with a reducer ring thing you can put in the hole if you've got a ball with a 3/4" shaft.

And let us know how the 3-axis coupler turns out.
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #73
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Stabilizers
Going into this modification I new they would be to short to touch the ground. I'll either carry some short blocks or those orange 6x6 plastic stackable blocks. The 3/16" plates that go in the corners will stiffen up the frame even more. They're spring loaded to pull down and fold up out of the way. I might cut the bases off and get a longer piece of leg.

image-2958745182.jpg

image-2382900346.jpg

image-953003169.jpg

image-3625896093.jpg

Unread 09-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #74
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm curious what you've got planned for the trailer that you're getting the rear stabilizers for? A roof top tent maybe?
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #75
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dinoot sells stabilizers that extend up to 21.75" long, I know a lot of there trailers end up of 31" and taller tires so I suspect that these would work for you.

http://www.dinoot.com/pricing/genera...onents-pricing
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.