Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 08-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #46
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Thanks armyRN for the feedback. I probably go with the Red Trailer fender. This way I won't have to relocate the rear lights. If I mount the fenders to the bed like yours using the bolt-nut then nut-nut to bring the fender out, I'll probably need a backing plate inside the bed to make them a little stiffer. I'll find a "NO STEP" sticker for the fenders. As far as the bumperetts they'll be here Monday.

Fighting the urge for the bigger tires like the one below. 600 vs. 150. Now that I think about it, the trailer tire & rims look good.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
S707, great work, love your trailer and been following along as you make it your own by all the improvements.

S707, ArmyRN..... anyone....

I've never owned, pulled or built a trailer before.

Been reading build threads trying to learn what I can before I begin my build.

I have a question about height, tires/wheels, hitches, level.

I just bought a JK 2dr 'S', so I'm running 32" wheels and I want a small trailer to pull. I assume a level tongue to hitch is desired so how does one match up all the variables and make that happen? I'd like to buy CL wheels w/ 5x5 pattern so the JK spare works for both Jeep and trailer.

How does one just 'swap' out one size wheel for another?

Thanks,

John

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #47
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
S707, great work, love your trailer and been following along as you make it your own by all the improvements.

S707, ArmyRN..... anyone....

I've never owned, pulled or built a trailer before.

Been reading build threads trying to learn what I can before I begin my build.

I have a question about height, tires/wheels, hitches, level.

I just bought a JK 2dr 'S', so I'm running 32" wheels and I want a small trailer to pull. I assume a level tongue to hitch is desired so how does one match up all the variables and make that happen? I'd like to buy CL wheels w/ 5x5 pattern so the JK spare works for both Jeep and trailer.

How does one just 'swap' out one size wheel for another?

Thanks,

John
Yes, it is desirable to have the trailer's tongue level.

To match up the trailer's tongue so it is level with the hitch on the vehicle is easy - either a drop-down hitch, or get an adjustable hitch (so you can raise it or lower it as needed - pictured below). These trailers use a 1 7/8" ball - way more than adequate.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post13835579

Or if you mount a 2" receiver on the trailer's tongue and want to use a lunette ring and pintle hitch, they make pintle hitch mounts for a 2" receiver that you can adjust the height of the pintle hitch to line up with the lunette ring (same principle as an adjustable ball mount hitch).

These little 4' trailers come with wheels with a four-bolt pattern and the axles are just wide enough to mount at best a 4.80 tire on a 12" diameter by 4" wide wheel. In order to mount a wider wheel as you're suggesting you need a wider axle with the proper bolt pattern. A 5 on 5" pattern isn't the most common pattern for a trailer axle until you get to the heavier duty axles (of course I haven't done an exhaustive research on the subject). The common bolt pattern is a 5 on 4.5" (same pattern as a Jeep TJ). Even if you could find a hub to match your 5 on 5" pattern that would mount to the trailer's factory axle, the axle is still not wide enough for what you're suggesting.

These little trailers don't really need large tires and wheels - a 205/75/15" is more than adequate, and as Sahara707 has shown so far, you can easily order the parts on-line (axles and such) and bolt together a very nice trailer.

What I recommend to folks is keep the tires around the 205/75/15" size (235/75/15" max), and buy a third tire and mount it to the trailer as a spare. That way no matter what vehicle the trailer is used by, you've got a spare for the trailer (and some redundancy built in if away from civilization). And when going large with tires on these little trailers, you reach a point of diminishing returns where you're doing your trailer a disservice. Kinda like putting 44" tires on a TJ with stock axles; it'll take a lot of work to make them fit, and it might look cool, but you're just asking for trouble and it really isn't practical.

If you haven't read this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/ I suggest you read it. It's long, and sometimes we'll go off on a tangent for a bit, but it should answer all your questions before you start dropping money on a trailer and additional parts. It talks about wider axles, measuring for axles based on tire size, fenders, hitches, suspensions, etc.; it'll get you going in the right direction. But Sahara707 has nailed it with his build on this thread here - folks would do well to follow his lead. There are many ways to build one of these little trailers, but his is straight forward with really no fabrication skills needed.

This picture is before I did all the modifications to mine; "stock" if you will with the factory 12" tires (and the adjustable drop hitch maxed to the limit - the reason for the picture). And I made sure I carried a spare tire.

And Sahara707 - if you'll notice on the trailer's tongue I did the exact same thing you did with the wiring before I put the tongue stand on it.
olympic-penninsula-trip-copy-2-.jpg

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #48
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sahara707, can you give me the length, width and height of your trailer w/ the 205/75/15's? I'm wondering about storage of the trailer when not in use.

ArmyRN, your points are well made. I don't plan on pulling the trailer on severe trails.... mostly fire-lanes and such. I am considering the 3 axis hitch that JeffS has designed but mostly to get a star on my man card, .

I was leaning toward Jeff's modified heavy duty HF build w/ 1.5" spacers to make larger wheels fit [and then could also modify from 4.5x5 to 5x5 pattern]

http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/t...9-page-28.html

But your observation of making the trailer more universally usable by anyone is an excellent point.

I still have a lot to learn but I appreciate everyone's experiences and insights before starting this journey myself.

I believe I'd like a 2" receiver on the tail [for bike carrier and such] as well as 2 receivers that Jeff designed on one of his trailers for stability legs but for my purpose they'd be used to store the trailer vertical when not in use. Jeff was very kind to make a suggestion how this could accommodate my limited storage capacity:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bo...l#post15290721

Heard it said that intelligence is learning from one's own experience and wisdom is learning from others' experience... just trying to be wise about my build.

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #49
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid
Sahara707, can you give me the length, width and height of your trailer w/ the 205/75/15's? I'm wondering about storage of the trailer when not in use.

ArmyRN, your points are well made. I don't plan on pulling the trailer on severe trails.... mostly fire-lanes and such. I am considering the 3 axis hitch that JeffS has designed but mostly to get a star on my man card, .

I was leaning toward Jeff's modified heavy duty HF build w/ 1.5" spacers to make larger wheels fit [and then could also modify from 4.5x5 to 5x5 pattern]

http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/t...9-page-28.html

But your observation of making the trailer more universally usable by anyone is an excellent point.

I still have a lot to learn but I appreciate everyone's experiences and insights before starting this journey myself.

I believe I'd like a 2" receiver on the tail [for bike carrier and such] as well as 2 receivers that Jeff designed on one of his trailers for stability legs but for my purpose they'd be used to store the trailer vertical when not in use. Jeff was very kind to make a suggestion how this could accommodate my limited storage capacity:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bo...l#post15290721

Heard it said that intelligence is learning from one's own experience and wisdom is learning from others' experience... just trying to be wise about my build.

John
Here's the measurements, give or take an inch
Length 84" - back of trailer to the front of the tongue.
Width 57" - outside of tires. That's with wider axle & 205/75 15"
Height 43" - 205/75 15" & 21" high box

Unread 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #50
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Temporary Fender Solution

I found these brackets at my local ACE affiliate, about 3.49 a piece. They bring the fender out from the frame about 1-1/4" and up 4". Later I'll put a bolt from the bed to the fender to stiffen it up. I''ll roll with these for now. I'll wait until armyRN gets his new fenders to get some exact measurements for them. A little bigger fender would be better.

image-2650513742.jpg

image-1863509082.jpg

Unread 08-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #51
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My question is about tires; can the 205's be aired down to float on sand?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #52
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid14 View Post
My question is about tires; can the 205's be aired down to float on sand?

I don't see why not...
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #53
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't know if a trailer tire would keep its bead, or if I would be better off with an A/T.

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #54
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid14
I didn't know if a trailer tire would keep its bead, or if I would be better off with an A/T.

Don't you think you could pull it through the sand like a sleigh? I guess you could put some ballon tires on it?

Unread 08-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #55
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid14 View Post

I would not be worried about a trailer tire coming off the bead when aired down (aired down within reason that is).

If you're really concerned about pulling a trailer through a lot of loose sand with an aired-down tire and want a wide footprint, you could get a 15x7" aftermarket rim and mount a 235/75/15" or 30x9.5" or 31x10.5" tire for your trailer. Of course, you need to make sure the axle is wide enough to have clearance between the tire and trailer frame (taking into account tire bulge when aired down).

Where are you planning on taking your trailer where this is a concern?
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #56
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Glamis, plus I like to be ready for anything.

Unread 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #57
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

if losing the bead is a real concern, then just tube the tires.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #58
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

New handle for the tongue. 7 or 8 bucks from red trailer.com. Easier then grabbing the tongue and getting greasy. Both fenders are on. Just waiting for the rims and tires. I could have bought them last Sunday at TSC, but it would have cost me 120.00 more. They'll be here Tuesday.

image-4030220657.jpg

image-3156034522.jpg

Unread 08-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #59
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It keeps getting better. I'm looking forward to seeing the rear bumperettes mounted; I'm thinking of putting a pair on mine.

So what's the first adventure you have planned for the trailer?
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #60
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN
It keeps getting better. I'm looking forward to seeing the rear bumperettes mounted; I'm thinking of putting a pair on mine.

So what's the first adventure you have planned for the trailer?
Thanks! I received the bumperettes today, finally. No fault to the shipper. Adverse weather conditions was reported from UPS. It's a long ways from PA to Northern CA. They're in good shape, but need a little bending here and there. It looks like they mount into the 4 holes on each side of the frame that holds the tailgate supports. Busy Labor Day weekend so it might take a week to mount them. I'll post them mocked up soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.