Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #31
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

armyRN, you think there all about the same size? These are 12x6x8. 6" tall. 21.00 a piece, those other ones were 90 a pair. I'll measure and see if 6" tall would fit.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

image-2301565246.jpg

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #32
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
armyRN, you think there all about the same size? These are 12x6x8. 6" tall. 21.00 a piece, those other ones were 90 a pair. I'll measure and see if 6" tall would fit.

I think they're all the same size. And they are all designed to mount to the back of a Jeep so the four-bolt mounting pattern is a standardized size (I just don't know how close they match the mounting holes on your trailer - but that's why they invented the electric drill). Along with providing some protection to the rear of your trailer, I think a pair would just give your trailer that rugged Jeep-trailer look.

I gave the quadratec link just to use as a starting point/reference. This is one of those things where prices will vary widely - so shop around. If you're a member of a Jeep club somebody might have a pair sitting in their garage. Or a local 4x4 shop might have some sitting on a shelf somewhere from a customer that bought an aftermarket rear bumper and didn't want their old bumperettes.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #33
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not Done after all

I orders the axle today. I took the spare from my car trailer to size it up. What a difference it'll make. 205, 75, 15" - 5 on 4.5. I also have an extra ION Alloy 171 rim from my jeep I could test fit.
Here's a picture of the axle and wheel differences.

image-2367089345.jpg

image-3648182231.jpg

image-2999493729.jpg

Unread 08-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #34
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! I can only speak for myself, but I'm enjoying following along with your progress.

A 205/75/15" tire doesn't seem big, and would be small on a full size truck. But on these 4' trailers they're huge (and I personally think they're the perfect size for these these 4' trailers). With that LoadRite axle you're getting it'll be a perfect fit. I think you'll be very pleased with how it turns out (especially since this LoadRite axle is such an easy swap-out it's almost a joke). It's more work raising the fenders than doing the axle swap.

Speaking of fenders, I don't know if you plan on reusing your old fenders, or buying bigger ones. But if you have any plans of bolting something to the side of your trailer (like I did with the small gas cans) take that into consideration before bolting a new set of fenders on (especially if they're much longer).

With a Jeep (or any 4x4) it's good to have a bigger, wider tire for traction and such. But for a little trailer like these, it's almost the less traction the better. When pulling a little trailer, you don't want a lot of traction/road friction or resistance or additional weight to fight what you're wanting the trailer to do/where to go. It just puts additional stress on the trailer frame and suspension mounts (and makes your Jeep work harder). I don't want to know the trailer's back there when I'm pulling it.

You don't want this to happen (this was a little red trailer): http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...l#post15779253

You'll like your planned set-up.
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #35
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

So if I'm hearing you right stay away from trying to put a B.F. Goodrich M/T on there that might look cool. You want it to follow the jeep effortlessly. Thanks for the guidance!

Unread 08-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #36
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So if I'm hearing you right stay away from trying to put a B.F. Goodrich M/T on there that might look cool. You want it to follow the jeep effortlessly. Thanks for the guidance!

You got it ; you've so got it. And a 205/75/15" isn't so big that you can't mount a spare on your trailer. I've got 3" of additional clearance under my trailer's axle (with 205/75/15" tires) compared to my TJ's rear Dana 44's pumpkin with 285/75/16" (33") tires. So no issues there; if the Jeep can clear it, the trailer can too.

I think your trailer's already looking cool with that box on there (it makes it look huge, which is a good thing). You're setting a new template on trailer building with your build (and all bolt-together so far!). You'll be amazed how much you can carry in it when you take it on your first outing; your wife will think you're a genius.

Keep the posts and pictures coming!
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #37
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

And then there was 5

The new axle came today. Loadrite 6090.70 1.5" tubing, 5 on 4.5, 51.25 Hub to Hub face. It took a little less than an hour to take the old one out and put in the new. It bolted right up. Now the decision on what wheels to put on? I have a 205/75 15" that I'll take a picture of. I tried a Ion Alloy 171 rim I had that got bent one day. 15 x 8. It fits with plenty of clearance, but with one of the jeeps 35" B.F. Goodrich M/T KM'2 it would look silly. I've seen a trailer wheel with round holes instead of the spokes that might work. Here a couple of pictures from tonight.
img_2878.jpg   img_2881.jpg   img_2882.jpg  
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #38
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! I know a 205/75/15" on a 15x5" trailer rim will work; anything else you'll have to test fit. There are plenty of styles of trailer rims out there; I went with the steel spoke rims to keep costs down.

Looking forward to seeing what you go with.
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #39
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Little Trailer with 15 x 8" ION Alloy 171. I know it's a dark shot, but with the new axle the 15 x 8 would work. Too big. Maybe I'll through the Spare 35" on there just for a picture. It's like Monster Truck Trailer.

image-993726304.jpg

image-3584906609.jpg

image-1707196531.jpg

Unread 08-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #40
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

205/75 15" tire and rim. This does look nice on there. Not too big. Like all modifications, upgrade one piece and then you have to upgrade something else. The fenders are too small. I found some nice diamond plate fenders that might work. I'd paint them gloss black.

image-3812726925.jpg

image-227890516.jpg

image-843777946.jpg

image-1358940798.jpg

Unread 08-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #41
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

armyRN, needs some fender advice. I like these with the inside skirt for mounting purposes. Using the 205/75 15. Looking at this rim where I can paint the center circle pattern gloss black to resemble my ION Alloy 171 rims.

image-678411270.jpg

image-630045797.jpg

Unread 08-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #42
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
armyRN, needs some fender advice. I like these with the inside skirt for mounting purposes. Using the 205/75 15. Looking at this rim where I can paint the center circle pattern gloss black to resemble my ION Alloy 171 rims.

You asked (I think you asked...).

I like these better than the diamond plated ones. But the best advice I can give you is to measure, measure, measure before you start drilling any holes. These fenders are 36 inches long; your trailer box is only 50" long (and the axle isn't centered under the box by design). You want to make sure you can center the tires under them, and that they won't interfere with your tail lights (and anything you might be thinking of bolting to the side of your trailer forward of the tires). And since (I'm assuming anyways) you'll be mounting them directly to the trailer's box, make sure they're as wide as you want them. I don't mind a little bit of tire sticking out from under the fenders (I'd rather the tire hit whatever first and bounce off vs. the fender taking the hit first), but it would be nice if the tread were covered.

So I'm looking at my trailer (pictured below) and figuring the factory fenders (same as yours) are about 18 - 20" long. So I'm trying to picture them 8 - 9" longer on each end (to make 36" like the one you're considering). Do they clear the tail lights? Like I said, measure first before drilling any holes. But the ones above you're considering should mount nicely flush on your trailers box.

And I think you'll be much happier with the flat top fenders vs. round ones. You'll find yourself using it as a little table.

My current fenders (same as your factory fenders) almost look like "fenderettes" with the larger tires. They measure 16.5" (if I remember right) from mounting hole to mounting hole. I'm considering these fenders to replace them: http://redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=SJ8512-22 They measure 20" from mounting hole to mounting hole, and (I measured) they won't interfere with my little gas tanks mounted on the sides. They'll still look kinda like fenderettes, but slightly larger fenderettes. Point being larger isn't always better (at least in this case) - something to consider.

When I asked redtrailer what the measurements of these replacement (20") fenders were, they said: "THE REPLACEMENT FENDERS ARE TOP LEFT TO RIGHT 7 & 3/4 INCHES AND THEY ARE 7 & 3/4 INCHES TALL, THANKS".

Your rim choice looks nice - especially if you're planning on painting the center to match your Jeep's rims. You're going to have one nice looking trailer set-up when you're done.

Any word on bumperettes for your trailer?
trailer-dirty-alaska.jpg  
red-trailer-fenders.jpg

Unread 08-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #43
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks armyRN for the feedback. I probably go with the Red Trailer fender. This way I won't have to relocate the rear lights. If I mount the fenders to the bed like yours using the bolt-nut then nut-nut to bring the fender out, I'll probably need a backing plate inside the bed to make them a little stiffer. I'll find a "NO STEP" sticker for the fenders. As far as the bumperetts they'll be here Monday.

Fighting the urge for the bigger tires like the one below. 600 vs. 150. Now that I think about it, the trailer tire & rims look good.

image-1302752462.jpg

image-1724445803.jpg

Unread 08-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #44
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Perfect Cover

I had been planning and searching for a tarp for the trailer. I remembered that I had made a canvas banner for my sons 5 year old soccer team. That was 10 years ago. I do have to admit that I'm a bit of a packrat. So I just went looking through all the cabinets in the garage and Viola! there it was. It couldn't have fit any better! I'll turn the corners over and sew them up, leaving a 5 inch over hang all the way around. I'll put in some grommets and I'm set.
soccer-banner.jpg   trailer-tarp.jpg  
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #45
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you go with the redtrailer fenders, brackets like in the picture below help raise the fender, move them out, are the main fender supports (they tie them into the frame). The four "bolt-nut then nut-nut" per fender additions though really help to make the set-up more rigid and keep then from wiggling as you go down the road (as I found out when I took mine for it's initial test run down the road).

When I replaced my suspension with longer springs, the final product ended up moving my axle back less than an inch, but now my tire isn't exactly centered under my factory fenders (I might be the only one that notices though). So when I go to put larger fenders on, I'll have to take that into consideration as I'm drilling new holes in the frame and lumber (as in don't measure off the factory fender mount holes). I'm glad I didn't get them and put them on before I changed out the suspension. At least with the lumber I can make a wooden dowel to tap into the holes left from the previous mounting bolts.

Oh; and the black tarp on your trailer looks really good, and it looks like you're getting good use out of your trailer tongue stand.
fender-brackets.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.