Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Amor Rex Inc, Off-Road Trailer Build

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking nice. So what do you think about the thickness of the box sides? Do they seem sturdy? I like how the top edge has a nice lip to it. It looks plenty tall too.

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Looking nice. So what do you think about the thickness of the box sides? Do they seem sturdy? I like how the top edge has a nice lip to it. It looks plenty tall too.
It feels sturdy, the metal isn't to thin. It's 20" tall. There's three good size bolts on every corner and the tailgate has some heavy-duty brackets. It's removalable. Here's some pictures of the tailgate bracket and tailgate.
tailgate-bracket.jpg

tailgate-gate-2.jpg

Last edited by Sahara707; 08-11-2013 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Hit enter key, wasn't finisged
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

D-Rings

I purchased some small D-Rings, 2 for each side to attach ratchet straps or bungee cords. I sprayed the with Rust-Oleum LeakSeal flexible rubber coating. This should keep them from making to much noise.
d-rings.jpg

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
mrclean77
2013 JK Wrangler 

^Genius! I'm watching these threads like a hawk.

My brain is spinning out weighing the options of HF version and being able to DIY/customize more vs the DEI version and being able to pay a little extra to have the diamond bottom (I like the idea of not having to deal with waterproofing lumber/etc), available box and a-frame support.

Nice work, so far!!!
mrclean77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

diamond plate and expanded metal sheets are readily available at most steel yards and not that expensive really. here where i live, treated wood usually outlasts metal due to all the salt on the roads in winter.
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #21
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01
diamond plate and expanded metal sheets are readily available at most steel yards and not that expensive really. here where i live, treated wood usually outlasts metal due to all the salt on the roads in winter.
Sure you could buy some metal plate cheaper. The plate in the kit is 79.30. It's in two pieces that are the perfect size with square notches for every carriage bolt that's needed and it's painted. Lay it down, insert bolts, washer and nylon lock nuts (provided) and you're done. I'll sweat the harder fabrications later, like the axle swap, fenders and some bigger rims and tires. It's been fast and fun putting it together.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Update to damaged steel box parts.

Couldn't be happier with the customer service from DEI. I've received the tracking number for a completely new steel box and the damaged pieces will be picked up tomorrow. I emailed them on saturday and the new parts are shipped on monday. Customer service is the key to success in most business's.

Unread 08-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A suggestion:

You're going to have a slight bow in the flooring going from side to side since the cross members slide into the side pieces (so the outside edges are slightly higher). Before you get it all put together, you might want to find some pieces of metal (same thickness as the frame pieces) that could go from side to side on top of the cross members so the cross member height is flush with the side pieces. Drill a few holes in the metal strips to match the cross member holes, paint it black, and put it under the diamond plate floor. That way the diamond plate floor is on an even plane once bolted down. And then when you put the front and rear panels on you won't have gaps between the floor and the bottom edge of the panels. The metal strip pieces would be about 36" long by 2-3" wide by however thick the side channel pieces of the frame are.

You can already see the gaps in the last picture on post #15.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Please show a couple pictures of the tailgate - on and off.
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

DMV California

Went to the DMV today. I arrived 1/2 before it opened at 8:00. I was second inline and by the time it opened there was another 20 people behind me. Here they do a little triage before the doors open and give you a post-it to speed things up at the first window. I said I wanted to register my new trailer and she asked me if I brought it with me. Sometimes they check the vin#. Thoughts of having to come back was troubling. Things went smooth! Sales receipt and the document of origin was all I needed. 60 dollars later I walked out whistling and a license plate in my hand.
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Metal Box 0n - Test Fitting

The box came this morning. Didn't take me long to start test fitting it. There was no lock washers and some of the bolts seem a bit to long. So off to OSH for some Nylon Nuts and Shorter bolts to go into the sides. I would like a cleaner look. Everything fits well and it feel real sturdy. I'm really happy with the metal box.
p8140286-medium-.jpg   p8140287-medium-.jpg   p8140288-medium-.jpg   p8140289-medium-.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring Harness Placement

If you plan on buying the convenient trailer stand don't run the wiring harness through that nice hole at the and of the tongue. You'll need all three of the holes to lock the stand down and then when it's folded back.
trailer-stand-oops.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

DONE! -for now

The box is completely secured. 30 3/8 x 1" carriage bolts. The whole box is solid!. Moved the license plate to the predrilled holes in the tailgate, keep it from dragging on things. If I have to I'll get a small 5-6" light to mount above it. Single wire with a plug so that I can take the tailgate off. Wiring was redone on the tongue to accommodate for the Trailer stand. I happy with the finished product. Next I'll order the axle - 1.5" Square (1500 lb.) LOADRITE Trailer Axle #6090.70. 5 on 4.5 lug pattern with spring centers at 38.5. Basically a bolt on. I play with some different tires and rims to get some more height and ground clearance.
p8140298-medium-.jpg   p8140291-medium-.jpg   p8140300-medium-.jpg   p8140301-medium-.jpg   p8140296-medium-.jpg  

Unread 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #28
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow - very impressive looking! It looks even better than the pictures on their website - you might have inspired others to go this route.

Thanks for the tailgate shots - now it makes sense (to me anyways). Glad to see you got the tongue stand - you'll find it comes in very handy. I like it better than one with wheels - it keeps it from moving around when youre working on it or loading it and such.

Are you still going with the canvas cover thing? It looked like a good plan. And it looks like your trailer was truly a bolt together trailer. I'm glad it all fell into place. Thanks for the pictures - keep them coming as you make changes (wider axle, wheels and tires, etc.). And especially looking forward to pictures of the trailer's first outing (Camping? Road trip? Off-Road?).

I'm looking at the frame on the back of the trailer - I'm wondering if a pair of Jeep YJ bumperetts would mount where the tailgate bracket mounts to the frame (just thinking out loud).
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #29
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN
Wow - very impressive looking! It looks even better than the pictures on their website. Thanks for the tailgate shots - now it makes sense. Glad to see you got the tongue stand - you'll find it comes in very handy. I like it better than one with wheels - it keeps it from moving around when youre working on it or loading it and such.

Are you still going with the canvas cover thing? It looked like a good plan. And it looks like your trailer was truly a bolt together trailer. I'm glad it all fell into place.

I'm looking at the frame on the back of the trailer - I'm wondering if a pair of Jeep YJ bumperetts would mount where the tailgate bracket mounts to the frame.
Thank you, if it wasn't for your thread I wouldn't have this cool trailer and no one to blame as I try to rationalize it to my wife. YJ bumperetts? I'll search for them. It would be nice to have some protection back there.

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #30
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Thank you, if it wasn't for your thread I wouldn't have this cool trailer and no one to blame as I try to rationalize it to my wife. YJ bumperetts? I'll search for them. It would be nice to have some protection back there.

You're welcome. I'll take the hit if your wife wants to blame me. I'm more than happy to help folks spend their own money on things that will spend most of their time sitting in the garage (or gun cabinet).

And thanks for taking a different tack with your trailer build - I know others are watching your progress and doing the math (time and money). So how much do you have into your trailer now as we speak? I know the black trailer costs more than the red trailer (but I think you get a better trailer to start with), and you paid extra for the diamond plated floor and box, but putting down a plywood floor and building a wooden box costs money (and time). And the hardware building/putting together a wooden box adds up too.

The first time you take your wife on a camping or whatever trip with the Jeep and trailer, and she sees how much stuff you're able to take with the trailer (to make her more comfortable), you won't have to rationalize the trailer any further. She'll be a believer.

You can often times find bumperettes used fairly inexpensive (that's what I did when I put a pair on the back of my Willys Jeep). Check this forum under the Classified section - you might find some there. People take them off their Jeep (YJ's and CJ's) when they put on an aftermarket rear bumper and they're just sitting in their garage taking up space. They might be practically giving them away.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12008_8X_PG.htm
jeep-bumperettes.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.