Aluminum Wheel Refinishing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Aluminum Wheel Refinishing

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
BusterXJ95

Aluminum Wheel Refinishing

My aluminum wheels didn't like the salty Michigan winter with only wax and no clearcoat/paint, so I'm refinishing them again. My question is, after all the sanding and steel wool to get them back smooth, can I spray clearcoat over them AFTER polishing them with compound? The only way to get the shine is to use a polish but I'm not sure the clearcoat will stick. If this doesn't work, is there any good spray paint that will give a good shine/polished look on aluminum?

[I]Recovery/Armor [/I] - Front tow hooks (C4X4) Rear Hitch (From Jeepforum.com) Front (stock) and TC (custom made) Skids (Jeepforum.com)
[I]Stupid Stuff[/I] - White Gauges/White Lights (From Ebay)"
"Chrome is not Bling!!!"
BusterXJ95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was told duplicolor wheem paint is good, while I will do to my rims later this summer. It comes in clear/silver/gold/black/graphite/white. I'm going with graphite so I won't have any problem with polishing it.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
joksjeep

does the wheem ever ship off though eventually?
joksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
jeeprick44

the wheem will give a good finished look
jeeprick44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
mud-dog27

what do your wheels look like........if all else fails flat black rims always look sweet....thats what happenin to mine when they start to get ugly
89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit
My Jeep's Page
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know a lot of people swear by this stuff -
http://www.zoopseal.com/zoopseal.asp

I always wondered about polishing and then getting clear coat to stick decently. I sanded down my wheels and polished them on my old S-10. Never got around to clearing them. I found come winter time I had to hit them at least once every 2 weeks with a scotch brite or some fine steel wool to keep them from looking white and crusty. But even after 2 winters in the Keweenaw penninsula they still looked just fine.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
BusterXJ95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud-dog27
what do your wheels look like........if all else fails flat black rims always look sweet....thats what happenin to mine when they start to get ugly
Here's a thread that shows what they looked like at the beginning of winter. I used Mother's polish and they came out real nice. By spring, they were looked like crap.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/door-hinge-fix-black-stock-wheels-278360/

I checked out the Zoop link. Interesting stuff.
[I]Recovery/Armor [/I] - Front tow hooks (C4X4) Rear Hitch (From Jeepforum.com) Front (stock) and TC (custom made) Skids (Jeepforum.com)
[I]Stupid Stuff[/I] - White Gauges/White Lights (From Ebay)"
"Chrome is not Bling!!!"
BusterXJ95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.