Air Horn! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Air Horn!

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 09-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
mcount2010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Air Horn!

Im thinking of getting 1218HD Heavy Duty High Volume Air Kit. From air horns of texas. now if i do deside to go with this where will i put the compressor, tank and the horns? i also would want to put a ir guage inside of the rig so i can monotor it. along with a button to sound it and a button to fill the tank.

If anyone has or knows about this horn give me a shout

Mike

mcount2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you are interested in how to setup compressor, tank, etc. take a look at people's Onboard Air Writeups and at Kilby's site. Most use OBA for filling tires, air tools, etc. but no reason an air horn couldn't be easily plumbed in and then its just a wiring question of the switch.
Unread 09-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

When I was going to run my horns that are now for sale, I was building a mount to stick them under the hood. Theres plenty of room. Put the compressor wherever you like, and plumb it in.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I've got an air compressor mounted to the ABS tray and a 1 gallon tank under the tub

I also run AirLift bags in the rear, with a cheapo 0-60psi regulator and gauge mounted under the dash. I do run a Lowes/Kobalt inline desiccant drier.

That said, I've been looking at air horns as well. I'm actually leaning toward an electronic boat/marine horn instead. Basically the same sound, but no air needed. The air horns with the tone I liked were too big to mount anywhere but on top the hood.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-Model-419-Black-Design/dp/B000F5DQWY/ref=acc_glance_auto_ai_ps_t_2
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ha that is a great site, it even allows you to listen to what their horns sound like. I had a single low-pitched truck horn on my previous TJ and it worked great... and it was LOUD. With an electric air solenoid, it's easy to control/connect an air horn to an air tank which is needed to provide the volume of air a truly loud air horn requires.

Due to its length, I had trouble finding a space for my air horn, there was no way it could have been mounted inside the engine compartment. I ended up welding a couple mounting tabs underneath the Jeep on the driver's side frame, up front near the engine. It was not easy since it couldn't get in the way of the suspension either but I finally found a spot that worked well.

Just don't go crazy with it, I even hated to test my air horn after it was installed because my neighborhood is pretty quiet.

And thanks, now you have me wanting to install another air horn onto my present TJ (my last TJ was stolen last year). Just more $$$ I don't have.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
mcount2010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How is that mounted under the tub and near what?
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcount2010 View Post
How is that mounted under the tub and near what?
Per above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I ended up welding a couple mounting tabs underneath the Jeep on the driver's side frame, up front near the engine.

Unread 09-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
mcount2010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So if i start with an on board air system i can add a horn with a button to operate, a switch to fill compressor and the gauge to tell how full the tank is? is 2 gallons good?
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
mcount2010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts...-25Gal-Kit.htm
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No need for a gauge, just use a pressure switch to keep it full. When the tank is full/up to pressure, the switch shuts the compressor off & when the pressure drops down to, say 80 or 85 psi, the switch turns the compressor back on.

Unread 09-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hornblasters.com

Loud horns save lives!

Denis
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Blue and orange? Your Jeep would be a hit with the Charger fans at a Bronco/Charger game.

Unread 10-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #14
er2ergrn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I put a Stebel horn on my Victory Vegas. Its 139db. You need to run a relay with it because otherwise the stock wiring is not heavy enough. You can still use the stock harness to actuate the horn but you run an extra HOT lead thru a relay. Also I seperated the horn section from the pump section to make it easier to mount and just ran some tubing to connect the two pieces. I would think it would be really easy to find a spot to mount it where the stock horns are. The Wolo Bad Boy and the Stebel both take about the same room as the stock set up does or at least on my 99 TJ it seems to. I have had to use it a few times and the one I always remember was when I was next to an SUV and they were so busy on their freakin phone that they couldn't look over their shoulder to see me and just decided to start moving over. I nailed the horn and she just about went in the ditch it scared her so bad. She went from partially into my lane (I'm in the center-most lane) and she was merging from the right and she went from there all the way to the gravel verge on the edge of the breakdown lane.

I remember seeing a review of the Stebel saying they are so loud they are illegal in Texas.
er2ergrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.