8274 Warn winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > 8274 Warn winch

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Bonechief
2006 LJ Wrangler 

8274 Warn winch

I have found a cheap OLD 8274 Warn winch. I believe its one of the first ones. It does not even have a remote control. Its a hand operated. To winch in you hold a lever to engage the motor. Has anyone seen a conversion kit for this to turn it into a remote controled winch.

Bonechief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
64Jeeper
1964 CJ5 

Perhaps you could rig up a control cable to it (kinda like a choke cable, only heavier duty), and operate it from inside your Jeep.
64Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
trouttrooper

You sure it's a 8274?

I've got a Warn 5687 that at first glance could be mistaken for a 8274, but it's kinda the granddaddy version. No power out, hand brake, simple cable control.

I've also got a Warn 8375 that is a clone of the 8274 minus the freespool feature.

There's a couple nice writeups on rebuilding 8274's if you Google it. I'm in the process of trying to get my two winches up and running again (got them both for free).
trouttrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Bonechief
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I will see if i can get a model number off of it. It looks like the 8274 i used to have. Thanks for the info.
Bonechief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
kercher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am rebuilding a warn 5721 to go on my 48 willys. I just converted it from the lever switch (connecting the high current battery cables together) to a solenoid operated in-cab switch. It isn't too hard.

The biggest concern should be the condition of the motor itself. The windings and insulation might very well be dry rotted. Mine was. It was about 150$ to rebuild the motor, 50$ for the solenoids, 20$ for the switch and wiring, etc. By the time you finish it you could have bought a M8000. I wanted an old one b/c it was going on my 48 willys, but I don't know your situation.
kercher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.