4WD, How does it really work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > 4WD, How does it really work?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-15-2001, 06:22 PM   #1
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

4WD, How does it really work?

I didn't get an owners manual with my GC, and I'm not sure if I actually know how my 4WD system works.

I have a '97 GC Laredo 4.0L I6 with Selec-Trac. The Selec-Trac lever has position options: 2WD, 4WD (Part Time), 4WD (Full Time), Neutral, and 4WD Low (Part Time).

I obviously? know the 2WD and Neutral. But what is the difference between the Full/Part time 4WD. I'm not understanding how power is transferred between the wheels.

Thanks alot!

Dai

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2001, 07:07 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1st all of us Wranglers and most CJs have what's known as part time four wheel drive. That means it's only used part time. In low traction situations. It cannot be used on dry pavement. And that is the case with your 4wd low. When you're actually offroad or in low traction situations you can use 4wd low. If you use it when there's maximum traction, you drivetrain will bind up possibly resulting in a failure of something.

The full-time four wheel drive has slip built into the transfer case, much like your differential. It used to be very similar to a limited slip differential complete with clutch packs. But Jeep has been improving the system and I believe, not positive that you have the same technology that is used in the new "Quadradrive" system. It's kind of a fluid gerator thingamajig. In any case, the technology for the differentials actually came from the advancements in the tcase. That's why I believe you have this in your tcase and not the old style clutches. Obviously I'm not 100 percent certain. But you do have some sort of slip in your tcase. Just the type I'm not certain about.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.