4 Wheel drive problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > 4 Wheel drive problems

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-21-2001, 11:06 PM   #1
avittum

4 Wheel drive problems

Recently my 4WD just went out... yeah, i know, whats a jeep without 4WD??? a box with wheels and a powerful engine... well, being in college, i just desided to let it go for the fall months, but now winter's coming, and i need to get it fixed. I wasn't in a big hurry until the jeep started to vibrate right around that 40 mph range. it also has a clicking noise as i slow down to a stop, and then there would be a pop(not loud, but loud enough to hear... i can stop the clicking and pop if i just give a slight pull on the 4WD stick... until i slow down again of course) acceleration is smooth until about 35mph, then it vibrates bad enough to shake the keys,,, i was hoping someone would be able to tell me what the problem might be... obviously i HAVE to get this fixed...

and another question, how hard is it to rebuild the rear differential??? or how much do you think i would have to shell out to have it done???? the rear end is getting a bit loose...

any help would be appreciated for my good ol 89 4.2, 4" rancho lifted, mud toy(and snow ofcourse!!!) later yall

avittum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2001, 02:36 PM   #2
mytjnamedrex

well i can only help ya with the rear end question.....you cant fix gears yourself unless youve done it b4. Thats a shop thing. But what do you mean by it being loose??
Unread 10-23-2001, 04:17 PM   #3
avittum

yeah, i agree that the gears are beyond me... oh well, but i mean the rear end is loose... the back wheels are actually able to pull in and out... not actually come out, it is drivable, but the axle shaft moves in and out an inch or so... its time to be fixed. probably coming this weekend...
Unread 10-23-2001, 05:55 PM   #4
Wicked YJ

You probably need to get your transfer case looked at, it might need to be rebuilt or you need a new one.
4" RE lift, 2" body lift, 4.10 gears, ford 8.8 in the rear, powertrax No-Slip in the rear, lockrite in the front, complete custom roll cage by Carolina rock shop, and corbeau seats and 5pt. harnesses, and of course herculined
Wicked YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2001, 06:38 PM   #5
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

About 3 months ago I had my rear differential almost completely rebuilt (the ring and pinion were ok) and it was $550+ at the dealer.

Maybe at some time you drove on hard pavement and "locked" your 4WD in place? Just shooting from the hip on this one. You could try putting your vehicle in 4WD on hard ground and back up for quite a few feet and then disegage the 4WD again. Maybe that would help?

Anyway my $.02

Dai

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2001, 11:23 PM   #6
evilpsych

i hope you werent using your 4wd on regular dry roads.. that'll kill a transfer case deader than sh*t..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2001, 08:08 PM   #7
avittum

the Tcase is fine, the vaccum lines are in place, i'm guessing its the hubs... i haven't had a chance to pull them, damn classes. i'll get to it this weekend i guess.
Unread 11-10-2001, 09:59 AM   #8
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

The first time I looked at you post, I dod not notice that you are running 4" of lift on a YJ. Do you have a slip yoke eliminator and a CV rear driveshaft, or have you lowered the t-case at least 2" and shimed the rear axle? While tons of people do it, 4" is too much lift without correcting the driveline angles. BAsed on the age of you Jeep, you have likely worn the U-joints on both driveshafts to the point of problems.

If your axleshafts have that much play, you need to fix this like yesterday.

As to the front, with time the part of the front dif that actually engages the front axle (one one side only, the other is always "locked") and wear out. So the t-case is in 4 hi, but the shaft can not spin the axleshafts. It's beyond me, but the vacuum engage is probaly shot (even if the lines are there and making a good vacuum). See if you can mechanically engage the axle.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.