4.10/4.11 (Are they the same thing?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > 4.10/4.11 (Are they the same thing?)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-12-2002, 08:11 AM   #1
Wolfpack97

4.10/4.11 (Are they the same thing?)

I just received my statement from Drivetrain Direct for my 4.10 gears I ordered (haven't installed them yet). It said the Dana 30 had a 4.10 and the Dana 35 was 4.11. Is this right? Does it matter? I was wondering if I should be concerned that the 2 pinion gears are a LITTLE different. I ordered the gears as a package deal so maybe it was just a "typo" they used on the statement to describe what I bought. I plan on putting them in tomorrow if there is no problem with this set up.

Thanks everyone!!

03 Toyota Sequioa 4x4: Loaded with all options but basically stock. This is the family hauler.......Miss the WJ but we need more room....
Wolfpack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2002, 09:01 AM   #2
Bulletproofcj7

Did you try calling drivetrain direct to sort out the problem?
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2002, 04:44 PM   #3
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Wolfpack97:
<strong>I just received my statement from Drivetrain Direct for my 4.10 gears I ordered (haven't installed them yet). It said the Dana 30 had a 4.10 and the Dana 35 was 4.11. Is this right? Does it matter? I was wondering if I should be concerned that the 2 pinion gears are a LITTLE different. I ordered the gears as a package deal so maybe it was just a "typo" they used on the statement to describe what I bought. I plan on putting them in tomorrow if there is no problem with this set up.

Thanks everyone!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's the way they all are - don't worry about it!
Unread 05-13-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
ezgoing

Why is it that one is 4.10 and one is 4.11? I always thought they had to be the same otherwise there would be excess stress put on the drivetrain.
'67 Ford Galaxie 500 (passes everything but the gas station)

"What do you mean I can't make it, watch me!" = oops
ezgoing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2002, 04:07 PM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ezgoing:
<strong>Why is it that one is 4.10 and one is 4.11? I always thought they had to be the same otherwise there would be excess stress put on the drivetrain.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The difference is negligable - Every 4 banger YJ has 4.10 in the front and 4.11 in the rear. The reason is that the ring gear diameters, being different, require a "best fit" match on the number of teeth that will fit within the diameter. Hmmm...this isn't real clear...imagine a 6" circle, suppose you want to stick 60 points around the circumference - ok fine..now you want to do the same with a 7" circle but it has to turn at the same relative speed as the 6" circle...hmmmm. What they do is determine what's called the "best fit".

I realize this explanation may be a bit cloudy but it sure is clear in my mind!

BTW - Mud bog folks run a 4.56 rear and a 4.10 front (or something similar) - not something we would want to do with out trail rigs.
Unread 05-13-2002, 07:42 PM   #6
Wolfpack97

Thanks everyone. I talked to my mechanic and he said this setup would be fine, no problem. He agreed that lots of vehicles run different ratio numbers in the front and rear because the "diameter" or size.

Thanks again. I am having them installed tomorrow!!!!

03 Toyota Sequioa 4x4: Loaded with all options but basically stock. This is the family hauler.......Miss the WJ but we need more room....
Wolfpack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2002, 09:28 AM   #7
blackjeep

if you still dont understand, and if i recall right you can go to randy's ring and pinion web site and it will explain to you. I dont know the address but it will come right up if you search it.
Unread 05-14-2002, 10:01 AM   #8
ezgoing

I believe I understand why it is done now. Thanks.
'67 Ford Galaxie 500 (passes everything but the gas station)

"What do you mean I can't make it, watch me!" = oops
ezgoing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2002, 12:23 PM   #9
PA Mud Puppy

Also, as a general rule, if the ratios are within 2% of each other, you will be ok. It won't cause any damage.
PA Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2002, 12:18 AM   #10
kidwired

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by PA Mud Puppy:
<strong>Also, as a general rule, if the ratios are within 2% of each other, you will be ok. It won't cause any damage.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I concur, this is correct
Unread 05-18-2002, 11:12 PM   #11
kegmaster
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i thought it was 4%, but o well. As long as you dont drive in 4w on the road it wont do anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.