33" vs 35" Tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > 33" vs 35" Tire

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

33" vs 35" Tire

So I'm figuring this has probably been posted before, but I have not been able to find exactly what I've been looking for. And as you may be able to tell, I am fairly knew to all this knowledge, which has been the reasoning behind the multiple new threads.

Anyway, at the moment I have some 35 x 12.5 R15 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip tires on my Jeep. They are wearing down pretty rapidly, so I've begun to look at some new tires. Basically, I'm trying to find out what the difference in performance is between 33" and 35" tires. I have some basic ideas, but I want to see if there is anything important that I'm overlooking. Anyone with knowledge to share will be greatly appreciated!

Oh and by the way, the Jeep is my daily driver, with no work done to the axles. 4" RC suspension lift and 2" body lift.

Bryan

BigGreenTJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
mr_dees
1993 YJ Wrangler 

maybe a little more power by stepping down to a 33...
what kinda gears are you running?
mr_dees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

as far as your profile. you are not running dana 40's. if you have3 a rubicon you will have dana 44's. sahara, dana 30 front, dana 35 or 44 rear. other wise you probably just have dana 30's front and rear. i would say without a upgraded rear axle just stick with 33's. also if you have not upgraded your gears i would go with the small tire. both are work. but not really having anything beefed up on it and packing on the miles. go with a smaller tire. give you more life out of the stock parts.
Unread 09-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good call. The front does appear to be a Dana 30 and the rear appears to be a 44.

Last edited by BigGreenTJ27; 09-30-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

if the rear is a 44 then you should have no problems with running 35's as in wear or anything. but you still have the issue of stock gears
Unread 09-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
other wise you probably just have dana 30's front and rear. .
Dana 30s have never been used in a rear application for Jeeps, with the exception of the Jeepster for a short period.

As far as the differences, less gas mileage, 1" more ground clearance, harder on drivetrain.

The D44 can handle 35s in most situations, but you should still be a little careful if you lock it. You can still snap a shaft if you're spinning the tires and one tire catches traction suddenly. But, the D30 is definitely the weak link. The shafts and ujoints are more likely to blow, but the gears will go occasionally (rare, but it does happen). Pick up a few spare shafts and replace the joints with new 5-760x Spicer joints. The shafts are easy to swap out, especially if you coat the 3 hub bolts and inner splines on the hubs with a little antisieze. You'll certainly want to regear, probably to 4.56.
whatevah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

In addition to the fact that 35s are heavy on their own, PJ Dirt Grips are ridiculously heavy. If you enjoy the look of 35s, keep them, but get a new tire such as the Km2
EugeneTheTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #8
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i run km2's and they are great. as for the dana 30 rear end comment. thanks for correcting me
Unread 10-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys. Part of the reason I was posting this was because my tires have seen better days and I wanted to start looking into new ones. I'm liking the looks and stats of the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. The thing I'm lost on now is what to do next. I was planning on calling and ordering an SYE kit and DC driveshaft from Tom Woods in the next few days, but now I'm thinking that I may want to use the money to pick up a Dana 44 for the front. From what I can gather, it seems that the only performance type loss I'll see by going down to 33" tires is the loss of ground clearance. I just feel like I'm going to regret going down in size.
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
BILL G
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You don't really need a 44 in the front for 35s.Put good shafts and locker in the 30 and your good to go.
BILL G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
BigGreenTJ27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since making this thread I have gathered some information, both with my own studies and with some help from a couple of folks with more knowledge than myself (thanks fishinjeeper!). I'm going to go with the 35" tires, pick up a SYE and a DC driveshaft to reduce wear and vibrations in the rear, and get new axle shafts for the Dana 30. Of course, this will all come with good time. I've figured out that I won't be doing anything rediculous, so there's no real sense in wasting money on the new front axle. Thanks guys!
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

D44 and D30 shafts have the same size U-joints so their strength is not much different. Most of the time it is the U-joint area that snaps when the shaft goes.
Unread 10-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
D44 and D30 shafts have the same size U-joints so their strength is not much different. Most of the time it is the U-joint area that snaps when the shaft goes.
or spines in the diff if you dont upgrade the shafts. thats the only other thing i would do to your front axle, some supiror 30 spline shafts. but just for a pavement pounder or light wheeling stock will work as long as you put on your work list somewhere down the road to upgrade the shafts.
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #14
NoahzArk
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The difference between 33's and 35's is minimal. I would stick with the 35's. As far as axles, smart driving can go a long way. I would still bring some spare parts in case the skinny pedal gets too much attention. I daily drove my YJ with 35's on d30/d35 combo 70 miles per day and was glad to have the larger tire once off road. I spent a lot more time on the road, but I lived for the trail and tires are too expensive to buy twice. Adjust the driving on the road.
NoahzArk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.