JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   3" Front/2" Rear BDS lift. Rear still higher??? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/3-front-2-rear-bds-lift-rear-still-higher-1556600/)

MattD_SLC 08-01-2013 12:45 PM

3" Front/2" Rear BDS lift. Rear still higher???

Like the title states I just installed 3" BDS springs in the front and 2" in the rear but the rear is still sitting a couple inches higher. Has anybody else had this issue?

I have checked part numbers and spring lengths to confirm they sent me the correct ones. I am not running a spare tire on the back but do have my back seat and some trail tools. Is this just something that might settle down to less than the 2.5" difference there is now? (That is measuring distance from tire to fender while parked level.)

MattD_SLC 08-02-2013 07:12 AM

Hmm. I don't know if a moderator could move this to the TJ Technical section? I know I can't be the only one with these questions ever. Haha

biffgnar 08-02-2013 09:03 AM

I can say I ran that pair of springs and didn't have your problem . . . . of course that doesn't help you. Is something artificially pulling your front end down? Shocks too short? Swaybar links too short?

MattD_SLC 08-02-2013 10:56 AM

I was wondering that but it seems the same height when I'm disconnected, which rules out the sway links. Other than that the only thing I could think of is the track bar. I am still running the stock one and have not drilled a new hole for it. I wouldn't think that would affect height at all, only centering the axle under the jeep. Right?

biffgnar 08-02-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattD_SLC (Post 15748507)
I was wondering that but it seems the same height when I'm disconnected, which rules out the sway links. Other than that the only thing I could think of is the track bar. I am still running the stock one and have not drilled a new hole for it. I wouldn't think that would affect height at all, only centering the axle under the jeep. Right?

Trackbar shouldn't do that. What shocks?

MattD_SLC 08-02-2013 05:21 PM

It's the BDS shocks that are recommended for the 3" lift in the front and then the 2" in the rear. Around 8" of travel in the rear and 9.75" in the front, are what I measured them at.

MattD_SLC 08-03-2013 07:30 AM

Overall this isn't a huge issue, I just didn't know if anyone else had noticed their setup sitting similarly. I am hoping things even out a little more after a good wheeling trip where the rear springs are compressed a bit. I had to compress the fronts to get them in, but the rears went in without any compression needed. If it doesn't sit more level then.... Oh well. Who cares at that point. Haha

biffgnar- thank you for your help and insight since you ran this same combo before. I appreciate it!

tyvanwie 08-04-2013 05:18 AM

You mentioned weight in the back, but not the front. What do you have up there?

Edit: a 2.5" difference?!?!?! Something is seriously wrong there. Can you measure your coils for us?

Trendsetter75 08-04-2013 09:05 AM

I have 3" BDS Shocks and Springs front and rear and I have 1.5 rake rear being higher. Im going to go with 2" rear shocks and springs and keep the front 3" to see what happens. Really would like to see what scenario you come up with before I do this. Im trying to stay away from coil spacers.

MattD_SLC 08-04-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvanwie (Post 15754560)
You mentioned weight in the back, but not the front. What do you have up there?

Edit: a 2.5" difference?!?!?! Something is seriously wrong there. Can you measure your coils for us?

There is practically zero weight added to the front. I have the factory bumper cut down, no winch...

Over the last couple days while at work I have taken the jeep out back and parked it with the rear up on a pile of rocks to compress one side at a time. That actually seems to have helped a bit. I will have to take a tape measure to it but I'm guessing its within an inch difference now. (Rear still being higher) I do have xenon 4" flat fenders which are sagging in the front but not the rear so it makes it look more off than it is. I will take some measurements later today and post up what I find.

The front springs measure to around 19.5" unsprung, and the rears roughly 13.75" unsprung.

MattD_SLC 08-04-2013 08:57 PM

Took a tape measure to it just a bit ago and it looks like the rear is down a bit after compressing the coils some. I measure a 7.25-7.5" gap to the fender up front and an 8.5-8.75" gap in the rear. That's about an inch lower than it was in the rear. Kind of strange that I had them on the jeep for almost two weeks and they hadn't settled more on their own. I definitely plan on going out wheeling soon which should show me if they are settled at a certain height now or not.

MattD_SLC 08-09-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 (Post 15755004)
Really would like to see what scenario you come up with before I do this. Im trying to stay away from coil spacers.

After another several days of parking with the rear springs compressed (front sway still connected) the rear seems to have settled to about an inch higher than the front. Considering I don't have a spare tire or any real weight back there I am pretty pleased with it. I guess it just took a little while for them to settle which is something I didn't expect.

The_Dealer 08-11-2013 07:31 AM

I'm running that combo, and mine sits dead even. It was a little high at first, maybe 1/2". After a couple hundred miles it settled. Of course I have a 32" spare on a 15x8 steel wheel, and a decently heavy rear bumper. Btw don't relocate the track bar, I tried it, and it shifted my axle too much to the passenger side. I put it back in the stock hole, and realized it wasn't far off anyways.

Trendsetter75 08-11-2013 10:02 AM

Can I see some side shot flatground pics.

The_Dealer 08-12-2013 07:06 PM

Here you go

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps169f0836.jpg

The time now is 10:37 PM.