3.73 or 4.10/4.11 i know you have heard this before - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > 3.73 or 4.10/4.11 i know you have heard this before

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-10-2001, 05:40 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

3.73 or 4.10/4.11 i know you have heard this before

Im planning on running 33x12.5 bfg m/t. I have the I-6 and a 5-speed. I am going to put on chip/exhaust/intake. I need to still effectively use 5th and will be spending about 90% onroad. Im learning to 3.73's but i cant find the 3.73s for the front d30 on a 97 tj. Any help would be good. Also how are the trac-loc limited slips? should i put them on? Does anyone know about the strength of a d35 with a trac-loc limited slip?? I need help cause im gonna change gears within the next week.thanx

Unread 09-10-2001, 08:22 PM   #2
Wicked YJ

I'm running 4.10 with 33X12.50's. Running a locker, with bigger tires makes it more likely to break an axle. But since you are doing more road driving, I don't think you have to worry about that.
4" RE lift, 2" body lift, 4.10 gears, ford 8.8 in the rear, powertrax No-Slip in the rear, lockrite in the front, complete custom roll cage by Carolina rock shop, and corbeau seats and 5pt. harnesses, and of course herculined
Wicked YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2001, 09:56 PM   #3
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know about the TracLok, but let me tell you - a crappy little EZLocker screwed my D35C six ways from Sunday. It's to the point now that I'm looking at an axle swap, just to have a drivable rig. And this happened with 30x9.5" BFG AT-KO's and 3.07:1 gears. I don't wheel very often either - last time my tires kissed dirt was six months ago...

Bottom line is (from my personal experience, anyway), if you do ANY mods involving the driveline south of the transfer case, don't expect the D35C to live very long.

I'm not saying you shouldn't gear up and go for better meats, just that when it breaks, don't be too shocked. It's a simple fact of life with the D35C. Argh...
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2001, 08:38 AM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In direct contradiction to that, I ran 33s on stock axles equipped with 4.10s and ARBs. I firmly believe the life of your axle significantly increases with lockers. The real reason more locked axles break is because people who run lockers, tend to run harder obstacles. If you ran the same obstacles without lockers, you would only break sooner attempting them. I never busted an axle shaft. I ran the Rubicon, Dusy-Ershim and Jackhammer on stock axles. Not to mention scores of other trail rides.

One of the advantages I felt I had was that the ARBs are not engaged on the street. If you can't turn the locker off, then it is still trying to function on the road too. This does create stress on shafts, joints, yokes and other drivetrain components.

If you want to do tough trails, you're going to reduce the stress on your axles by being locked. If you want to use your Jeep as a daily driver you're going to reduce the stress on your axles by being open. The solution seems too obvious to me. But, if my opinion was fact, then there'd be no such thing as a locker debate.

On the subject of gears, I ran 4.10s with 33s. I installed the 4.10s when I installed the ARBs which was when I was running 31s. Had I known I was going to 33s, I would have installed 4.56s. So in my opinion, the 3.73 gears aren't even a consideration.

I should qualify my opinion by letting you know I'm not a casual four wheeler. I'm in pretty deep and so my opinion is from a more hardcore perspective. But you should also know that my Jeep is still my daily transportation to and from work. I'm runnin 5.13s in the diff now.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.