1965 Gladiator J3000 Gastank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > 1965 Gladiator J3000 Gastank

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-19-2001, 07:19 PM   #1
mw

1965 Gladiator J3000 Gastank

A neighbor is selling a 1965 Jeep Truck for $800. I am thinking of buying it as a work truck for trips to home repair stores etc. It's not pretty, but seems to run well. My concern is that it has the gas tank in the bed of the truck fixed next to the cab. Is this something commmon or something that should be of a concern?

mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2001, 10:13 AM   #2
Pantera

So long as the gas tank is up to snuff as far as being completely sealed, made from the proper materials, and securely fastened I don't see a problem... I take it this is an aftermarket tank made of high quality materials... I might be a bit dubious if someone took the stock tank from the stock location (wherever that may be, I don't know ) and just threw it in the back...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2001, 10:48 AM   #3
mw

It's an aftermarket deal that looks pretty profesional. Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that this was not a common no-no
mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2001, 02:11 PM   #4
GroundUpCJ7

I would be a little cautious as well. I am an accident reconstructionist, and can tell you that you're looking for trouble. I would seriously consider doing one of two things: relocating the tank to the underside of the vehicle, or building a full on roll cage enclosure around the tank. The problem is that should the tank rupture, you've got a fireball directly behind you. If the vapor inside the tank explodes, the pressure wave will blow the glass into the back of your head. With the tank mounted under the verhicle, there's no clear path to the passenger compartment, you've got skid plates and frames protecting the tank, and you won't have the pesky problem of worrying whether something your carrying will puncture the tank when you slam on the brakes. If it were me...I'd probably leave it where it was, but I just want you to be aware of the risks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.