10,000 lb. Chicago Winch Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > 10,000 lb. Chicago Winch Question

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Klint96XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

10,000 lb. Chicago Winch Question

Hey guys, I just bought a used winch. It is a 10,000 lb Chicago winch, with control box, Remote, Mounting plate, and roller fairlead. I bought it for $200.00 at a wholesale warehouse.

When I got home I streched the cable out which is about 105 ft long, then I wound it up. After I got done winding it all up, the motor seemed pretty warm. is that normal for pulling in 105 ft of cable? or should I be suspicious? The winch and Cable look brand new, so I didn't expect it to get that warm.

I've heard good things about chicago winches lasting a long time.

I've never owned a winch before, so any other advice you can give me that might make a winch last would be great.

Thanks Klinton

Unread 08-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A friend of mine got one of the cheaper winches (a T-max I think) but the drum and motor got worryingly hot so we had to leave the steel rope on it rather than running a synthetic which is heat sensitive and then returned it for a refund as soon as we got back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
bushytails

Those winches often run hot... with no load, they'll often run much hotter letting the line out then pulling it in - the brake is in the drum, and the motor has to overpower the brake to power out the cable. This is why, as the last poster said, synthetic lines are bad on those winches. Get an 8274 instead.

--Bushytails
bushytails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushytails View Post
Those winches often run hot... with no load, they'll often run much hotter letting the line out then pulling it in - the brake is in the drum, and the motor has to overpower the brake to power out the cable. This is why, as the last poster said, synthetic lines are bad on those winches. Get an 8274 instead.

--Bushytails
I forgot to mention, the other reason we returned that El Cheapo winch was that it payed out slightly faster than it wound in????? It got hot in either direction though???

Quote:
Who's eric?
Quote:
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
bushytails

Quality control is not a major factor in their manufacturing process, to put it politely.

--Bushytails
bushytails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
GRI

I never heard much good things about those winches. Their atv winches work alright but the heavier ones arent very good.

for sale $2950 or trade for utility quad
send me a PM
GRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
COBY
2006 TJ Wrangler 

my winch also gets warm with no load if i pull in all the line at once i don't think it is a problem
COBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBY View Post
my winch also gets warm with no load if i pull in all the line at once i don't think it is a problem
My Warn doesn't get warm when spooling on 100' of rope even under some load.

Quote:
Who's eric?
Quote:
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
SuperGlue
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have personally watched mine lift the front of my fullsize k5 diesel blazer off of the ground straight up when I rolled it
SuperGlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.