Where can i find an affordable yj? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Where can i find an affordable yj?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #16
FOURWALLYS
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Affordable yj is an oxymoron......

Unread 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
jeeps123

Yeah, I've heard that before

Affordable? I'd like to stay under 5k.

How is engine performance with a small trailer behind the jeep? From either the 6cyl or the 4cyl engines? I have a couple small atvs, with their own trailers,and I'd like to take them when I go offroading locally
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
th3_d0c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 1994 YJ in highschool, loved it, put a 3-4" Sky Jacker lift on it with 4.10's in the axles and 33 Super Swampers and it was awesome! Ended up selling it before I came out to Los Angeles.

When I got here, the itch was back and I finally bought another from Craigslist. The prices out here are between 4500-5500 for a YJ, little expensive for my tastes. People out here are asking crazy amounts for stock Jeeps. So watch craigslist, get an RSS feed reader and just keep your eyes peeled for what you are looking for and when you see an ad you like, call them and go see it instantly.

I was searching from As North as Portland to San Diego and as far out as Utah looking for what I wanted. Ended up finding a 1993 Yj Manual, 4.0, for 3500 in San Diego, he posted like an hour before I saw the ad, +2-3 hour drive to Rancho Bernardo, called him and was the second to look at it (I told him on the way down I would buy it for his asking price, in case someone else came before me). Turned out to be an alright buy, it has been about 3 weeks now and I have already put 3k plus into it(5" BDS lift, 33 LTB Super Swampers, 4.10 axles from an auto YJ, SYE, tools, etc) . It is an addiction. And my buddy has a TJ is getting jealous so he'll probably be getting a bigger lift to match mine (who's got the bigger d*ck competition...)
th3_d0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
th3_d0c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You'll be fine on Towing, used to trailer my motorcycle around all the time. The rated spec is 2000 lbs I believe.
Unread 03-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
jeeps123

Cool, that's what I was hoping.
I see what you mean about inflated prices. but i'm getting emails from people with fair priced wrangler YJs, so as soon as the right one comes along, I'm sure I can get it for a reasonable deal. Sounds like your buy wasn't anything to sneer at, either
Unread 03-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #21
FOURWALLYS
1988 YJ Wrangler 

From my own limited experience, I'd say stay away from 4.2's if you can.
Unread 03-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #22
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWALLYS View Post
From my own limited experience, I'd say stay away from 4.2's if you can.
agree, unless you get it really cheap and can do either a motor swap or an EFI swap.

4.2 is a great motor but the stock carb really, really blows.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #23
th3_d0c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps123 View Post
Cool, that's what I was hoping.
I see what you mean about inflated prices. but i'm getting emails from people with fair priced wrangler YJs, so as soon as the right one comes along, I'm sure I can get it for a reasonable deal. Sounds like your buy wasn't anything to sneer at, either
Hah, no it wasn't, well, it might have been to someone that really cared. There is a possible rear main seal leak or cover leak or something somewhere and most smart people won't buy it with a leak like that, but I can change that myself. I am used to New England vehicles covered in rust, so when I saw a 93 Jeep with 140k miles on it with no rust I was in heaven!

I agree, I would stay with 4.0 and if you are going manual stick with a hydraulic clutch, 92+. If you really want to stay in the know, get an external slave cylinder on the clutch 94+. You can make due with a 2.5, but good luck towing, or lifting/big tires/towing, you'll be puttin' along at like 20mph.
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #24
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Trick is to find a nice '94-'95 with a 2.5 4 cylinder, sell the engine and trans for bank on craigslist, then use that money to buy a 4.0 from an XJ with the tranny and do the swap. That way you end up with the 4:10 axles in the deal. Throw some 33's on that baby and go wheelin'.
The 2.5L Wranglers are cheaper than the 4.0 ones, and you can get an XJ motor and trans for about $300.
You need to be familiar with tools and minor wiring, but other than that it's an easy swap.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #25
DavesPerf
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rick if you come across a decent 4.0 for a swap let me know Im looking for that or a 4.3L to put in the shop YJ.

Thanks

Dave
DavesPerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #26
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesPerf View Post
Rick if you come across a decent 4.0 for a swap let me know Im looking for that or a 4.3L to put in the shop YJ.

Thanks

Dave
You got another YJ? Or are you doing this to your wife's YJ?
RJC#512
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:31 AM   #27
DavesPerf
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep we did as yes its hers we actually put the YJ on its side thursday night out there....

Did alot more work on it this pic is from death valley over easter weekend.
000_0052.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #28
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesPerf View Post
Did alot more work on it this pic is from death valley over easter weekend.
That spot looks familiar.

Is that going up Golar Wash, or maybe somewhere in the Panamint Mts? If so, I haven't been there in a while & really wanna go back soon. I love that place!
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #29
DavesPerf
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post

Is that going up Golar Wash, or maybe somewhere in the Panamint Mts? If so, I haven't been there in a while & really wanna go back soon. I love that
place!
Winner... Goller wash headed up to barker ranch..

I hadent been there in a couple years hasn't changed much was real wet and green this time of year from the snow run off.

Dave
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #30
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post

Is that going up Golar Wash, or maybe somewhere in the Panamint Mts? If so, I haven't been there in a while & really wanna go back soon. I love that place!
I am definately up for planning a four day weekend at the Panamints.
I haven't gone wheeling there for a REALLY long time.
Great mine shafts to explore, some good wheeling, etc...
Didn't the cabin a Barker Ranch burn down? Just what I heard.

Dave, what front bumper is that on the YJ?
RJC#512

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.