Where can i find an affordable yj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Where can i find an affordable yj?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
jeeps123

Where can i find an affordable yj?

Not much to choose from on craigslist right now, but I'll keep my eye out. If you have any suggestions, like which classifieds ads to watch, I welcome any advice, since you're the experts.
I don't have a lot to spend, so i probably can't go very far beyond original/stock right now. But I think I'll find a good deal eventually

Thanks guys. If you run into anyone with a manual trans YJ, apologize first, and then have him PM me, if you can

Unread 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
weldonfoto
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After buying my '91 Jeep YJ a little over a year ago (didn't get a real great deal but I thought it was cheap), and spending a little $$$ here and there almost constantly since (with no end in sight), I've pretty much concluded that there really is no such thing as an "affordable" YJ.
weldonfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
jeeps123

Is yours the high output version, or no? and is there any advantage to having an HO? I'm slowly learning about the options available, and I think I'd prefer to find one with an HO motor & a manual trans.

Last edited by jeeps123; 03-23-2010 at 12:13 AM..
jeeps123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

keep on craigs list every day. they pop up sometimes.

if you want a project they are even easier to find. mine had a blown transmission, would barely run and could not pass smog so I got it for $900.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
weldonfoto
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is a 4.0 I6 HO with manual transmission - exactly what I wanted. I don't know if there is any advantage, based on personal experience, between HO and non-HO versions since I've only ever driven the HO. I've heard that the HO motor is better, though. I definitely wanted a 6 cylinder. Although the 4 cylinder versions can generally be found more easily and cheaper, the difference in gas mileage is not that significant and the performance of the I6 is better. What I liked about mine when I was looking and bought, though, is that the 91' is the first year that came with fuel injection (as opposed to carbuerated) and was the last year to come with the CJ style sport bar. I knew to look for rust and mine is remarkably free of it. The only place I've found any of significance is the front center body mount, directly under the radiator. This is lucky, perhaps, since I didn't know then to check the frame under and around the shock mounts where they can collect water and mud. Personally, I like the 5 speed manual transmission but I have also heard some who like automatics - though most are driving newer jeep models. Mine has the AX-15 which isn't the smoothest transmission through all the gears but it works well. The AX-15 is known to have some issues but is better than the transmissions in earlier jeeps. My transmission has an internal slave, which I still know very little about other than that some newer models have an external slave that is easier to deal with if the tranny does develop some problems.

Things to look for when buying - cracked exhaust manifolds are extremely common and mine had a small leak that I could have continued to drive with for at least a while. I did replace it, though, at a cost of about $300 parts and doing the labor myself. This can be expensive if you have the dealer or mechanic do it. Axles and gearing may be important, depending on what you intend to do with your jeep and how big of tires you want to run. I did not know anything about this when I bought mine and sort of wish I did, though I'm not sure yet how much difference it would have made. Mine has stock 3.07:1 gearing which is only "ok". Put much more than 30" - 31" tires on and it's likely you'll want to re-gear. I think some of the later years and sub-models came with better gearing but, if you're going to go to 33"-35" tires (or larger) and do serious offroading, you'll still probably want to re-gear and/or swap out rear axles anyway. Older vehcles, including even the newest YJ's that are now 15 years old, are going to need parts replaced. I just replaced my entire cooling system (radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses) at a cost of about $350-$400 - again, doing the labor myself. First thing I did when I bought it, too, was replace all the fluids, spark plugs/wires/distributor, air filter, throttle positioning sensor, and a few other small items. Most of my $$, so far have gone into making sure it runs reliably. The most expensive mods I've made, so far, are a 1" body lift and new front/rear bumpers. I also bought a new soft top for it.

I paid about $4500 for my jeep a year ago thinking all I wanted was a basic "beater" jeep just for exploring the desert and back-country. Since, I have easily put another couple thousand into it and want to do much more - suspension lift kit, bigger tires, new axles/gears, fender flares, rocker panels, winch, etc., to make it more capable and more bulletproof as I now want to get into doing more serious off-roading. I have also found that working on, improving, and modifying the jeep is almost as much fun as driving it - except when it comes to opening up the wallet.

These forums are great for learning about options, etc. You are lucky! I wish I'd found this site before I bought mine as I might have waited and spent a little more up front to get one that already had suspension/gearing and other options. Not sure it would have saved me a lot of money, though, but might've helped getting me where I want to go a little faster.
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
weldonfoto
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A "project" is a great idea - I have found that mine, happily, is certainly one even though I never really intended it to be. If you are at all mechanically inclined, the older jeeps are not at all hard to work on. Most jeep parts (OEM type, at least) are surprisingly inexpensive, too, relative to newer cars and easy to find used. Downside is that it can be addictive - the more you work on it the more you find/want to do. And, though you may find a "project" jeep at a really low price, know what your budget is and what the cost of needed work is likely to be. I've seen more than a few "project" jeeps (and other cars) sitting endlessly in garages, driveways, and backyards waiting for time and funds to get them running again. Unfortunately it seems people often just don't want to part with them.
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Get a beater 4 cyl and drop in a V6 out of a blazer with a 700R4 automatic. Overdrive for the highway and low-ish gears for the trail.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
StvDiego

In addition to Craigslist San Diego look outside the county too, Craigslist Inland Empire (there's a TJ up there for $4500, 4.0 needs a rebuild), Orange County and possibly LA. Deals come and go there all the time.

Also check the San Diego Reader classifieds, lots of OB/MB/PB "Jeepers" on there.

YJ's show up on used car lots a lot too, usually way over-priced but every onece in awhile..

I would personally look for a HO 4.0 only because it would save the "I wish I had..."

And nothing wrong with buying an already modded Jeep, just shop carefully. You could save a ton of money and work in the long run if the riht one wanders along.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
jeeps123

Ah, reader classifieds.
Yep, I'll keep my eyes on the craigslist.
doing the work is not an issue. Working on jeeps is easy compared to other cars
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What's your budget? Define "affordable" when it comes to Jeeps!

It's amazing what YJs and CJs are selling for now....

JEEP WRANGLER LIFTED

1990 Jeep Wrangler - Automatic

1994 Jeep 4X4

1990 Jeep Wrangler 4X4 Lifted ***PICS***

wanna trade? i gotta 66 cj5 jeep
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Rik has it right. For some reason CJs and YJs are getting more and more expensive. I haven't looked at TJs in a while but they weren't much more than a YJ and are considerably more comfortable.
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This one would be a good deal.
Swap out the 2.5 for a 4.0, easy cheap swap, and you instantly have 4:10's for the 33's.

Offer him $2200, don't pay more than $2500.

********Jeep Wrangler****** $2800
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Look at XJ's too. I picked up a really clean one for 4K a few weeks ago. I guy was selling an 88 2 door for $1800 too with a rebuilt engine.
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
jeeps123

I thought Xjs were Cherokees? I was kinda trying to avoid those. Even though they're the most common jeeps I see for sale
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokees/XJ's are more affordable than the YJ's and TJ's. If you get an auto in an XJ it will be a 4 speed auto not a 3 speed like in my friends YJ 6 banger.

Buy a built 4x4 also. I put $10K of parts (my labor) into my 98 Grand Cherokee and got $7500.

What are you considering affordable? $1K or $30K
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.