wheeling and camping near julian/mt laguna - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > wheeling and camping near julian/mt laguna

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
deanfootlong
2002 WJ 

wheeling and camping near julian/mt laguna

hey all, Im new here. WJ owner. its rather stock for now. just 2 inch BB with jk take offs. looking to do a little offroading and find a spot to camp with the wife and dog up around julian/mt laguna area. my wife really likes julian so she wants us to go up there. so Im trying to find some trails out in that area where I could drive through and set up camp for a night to get away. if anyone has any recommendations on trails or camping areas (primitive is almost all I'll consider. I just hate camp grounds.) please let me know!

deanfootlong is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

My favorite camping spot out that way is Blair Valley. The location seems to always be a little cooler than the surrounding area and there is hardly ever anyone there. It's on the S2, maybe 10-12 miles or so from scissors crossing.

Oriflame is nearby as well, not sure if you can camp there though.

There are some links in the sticky up top
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/...e-out-1566851/ i'm sure he'd love to tag along have a little wj group go out

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/San_Die...ty,_California

the Descanso to Julian trails are nothing but fire roads basically. i would be interested in doing some of those trails around Mount Laguna, i wonder if they got much rain in that area. i know they had a flash flood advisory this past week.

when were you wanting to do this?
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
deanfootlong
2002 WJ 

thanks for the suggestions, guys. I see that its mostly fire roads. kinda a bummer. basically my wife is pushing for a camping trip and Im trying to throw in some trails here and there to make it more fun. haha. tho if the fire roads got washed up pretty well with the recent rains, it could make for a fun time.
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Well if you dont mind moving the camping location, and go to santa rosa mtn instead. You could do the panwee mine trail aswell. But for the mine turn off you will need to pick your line right to avoid hitting your rockers. I have coordinates and tracks of that trail if you are interested. The camping at santa rosa is yellow post sites. (Santa rosa mtn is east of the town anza.)
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You could start off from Split Mountain, in Ocotillo Wells, camp in Fish Creek, head UP Heart Attack Hill and through the Squeeze, go out Pinyon Mtn trail, cross S2 and head up Rodriguez or Oriflame Canyons to Banner and then up 78 to Julian. Maybe
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
You could start off from Split Mountain, in Ocotillo Wells, camp in Fish Creek, head UP Heart Attack Hill and through the Squeeze, go out Pinyon Mtn trail, cross S2 and head up Rodriguez or Oriflame Canyons to Banner and then up 78 to Julian. Maybe
Yep, do what Moose suggested. That seems to be the "default" trip here in SD. It's also the one I bring newbies on since it's exciting for them but doesn't bore me to tears

My preference is to run up Oriflame from the bottom of Banner and then out Rodriguez back to Banner. The scenery is pretty good and the drop offs on Oriflame keep your attention. There are plenty of tougher lines to play with along Rodriguez if you're game
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
Yep, do what Moose suggested. That seems to be the "default" trip here in SD. It's also the one I bring newbies on since it's exciting for them but doesn't bore me to tears

My preference is to run up Oriflame from the bottom of Banner and then out Rodriguez back to Banner. The scenery is pretty good and the drop offs on Oriflame keep your attention. There are plenty of tougher lines to play with along Rodriguez if you're game
Thanks, Kevin
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #9
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fire roads and stuff are good going out with the family for just camping.......I know a few like that but over near Yuma AZ. I'm still looking to get to know a few spots closer to home. That's a long haul for camping. I hate paying for camping spots as well and haven't for about the last 5 years or so. lol
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
deanfootlong
2002 WJ 

looks like its going to be muddy. fun. Im headed up to laguna with the wife and dog. I think im going to take mason valley trail and play around in there (oriflame trail) I'll report back with pics.
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
joesloan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0ungGunZJ View Post
Well if you dont mind moving the camping location, and go to santa rosa mtn instead. You could do the panwee mine trail aswell. But for the mine turn off you will need to pick your line right to avoid hitting your rockers. I have coordinates and tracks of that trail if you are interested. The camping at santa rosa is yellow post sites. (Santa rosa mtn is east of the town anza.)
I'd be interested in getting those coordinates. Never heard of Santa Rosa Mtn, curious to explore.
joesloan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesloan View Post

I'd be interested in getting those coordinates. Never heard of Santa Rosa Mtn, curious to explore.
I will get that too you when I can get on a computer, but it is just east of the town of Anza next to torro peak.
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanfootlong View Post
looks like its going to be muddy. fun. Im headed up to laguna with the wife and dog. I think im going to take mason valley trail and play around in there (oriflame trail) I'll report back with pics.

3 1/2 months now.. I dont think it ever happened...
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
[/B]

3 1/2 months now.. I dont think it ever happened...
Maybe they're still out there.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you gonna make it Saturday Jeff. I'd of smashed my thumb with that big ol hammer of yours for no reason if you don't.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.