JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   SanDiego (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/)
-   -   wheeling and camping near julian/mt laguna (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/wheeling-camping-near-julian-mt-laguna-1568278/)

deanfootlong 08-28-2013 02:05 PM

wheeling and camping near julian/mt laguna

hey all, Im new here. WJ owner. its rather stock for now. just 2 inch BB with jk take offs. looking to do a little offroading and find a spot to camp with the wife and dog up around julian/mt laguna area. my wife really likes julian so she wants us to go up there. so Im trying to find some trails out in that area where I could drive through and set up camp for a night to get away. if anyone has any recommendations on trails or camping areas (primitive is almost all I'll consider. I just hate camp grounds.) please let me know!

jbolty 08-28-2013 02:14 PM

My favorite camping spot out that way is Blair Valley. The location seems to always be a little cooler than the surrounding area and there is hardly ever anyone there. It's on the S2, maybe 10-12 miles or so from scissors crossing.

Oriflame is nearby as well, not sure if you can camp there though.

There are some links in the sticky up top

Y0ungGunZJ 08-28-2013 05:44 PM

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/...e-out-1566851/ i'm sure he'd love to tag along have a little wj group go out

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/San_Die...ty,_California

the Descanso to Julian trails are nothing but fire roads basically. i would be interested in doing some of those trails around Mount Laguna, i wonder if they got much rain in that area. i know they had a flash flood advisory this past week.

when were you wanting to do this?

deanfootlong 08-29-2013 09:47 AM

thanks for the suggestions, guys. I see that its mostly fire roads. kinda a bummer. basically my wife is pushing for a camping trip and Im trying to throw in some trails here and there to make it more fun. haha. tho if the fire roads got washed up pretty well with the recent rains, it could make for a fun time.

Y0ungGunZJ 08-29-2013 01:22 PM

Well if you dont mind moving the camping location, and go to santa rosa mtn instead. You could do the panwee mine trail aswell. But for the mine turn off you will need to pick your line right to avoid hitting your rockers. I have coordinates and tracks of that trail if you are interested. The camping at santa rosa is yellow post sites. (Santa rosa mtn is east of the town anza.)

sdmoose429 08-29-2013 11:03 PM

You could start off from Split Mountain, in Ocotillo Wells, camp in Fish Creek, head UP Heart Attack Hill and through the Squeeze, go out Pinyon Mtn trail, cross S2 and head up Rodriguez or Oriflame Canyons to Banner and then up 78 to Julian. Maybe;)

Motorep 08-30-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdmoose429 (Post 15852443)
You could start off from Split Mountain, in Ocotillo Wells, camp in Fish Creek, head UP Heart Attack Hill and through the Squeeze, go out Pinyon Mtn trail, cross S2 and head up Rodriguez or Oriflame Canyons to Banner and then up 78 to Julian. Maybe;)

Yep, do what Moose suggested. That seems to be the "default" trip here in SD. It's also the one I bring newbies on since it's exciting for them but doesn't bore me to tears :laugh:

My preference is to run up Oriflame from the bottom of Banner and then out Rodriguez back to Banner. The scenery is pretty good and the drop offs on Oriflame keep your attention. There are plenty of tougher lines to play with along Rodriguez if you're game :2thumbsup:

sdmoose429 08-30-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorep (Post 15853775)
Yep, do what Moose suggested. That seems to be the "default" trip here in SD. It's also the one I bring newbies on since it's exciting for them but doesn't bore me to tears :laugh:

My preference is to run up Oriflame from the bottom of Banner and then out Rodriguez back to Banner. The scenery is pretty good and the drop offs on Oriflame keep your attention. There are plenty of tougher lines to play with along Rodriguez if you're game :2thumbsup:

:D:D:D:D Thanks, Kevin :cheers2:

kuruma 09-01-2013 02:12 AM

Fire roads and stuff are good going out with the family for just camping.......I know a few like that but over near Yuma AZ. I'm still looking to get to know a few spots closer to home. That's a long haul for camping. I hate paying for camping spots as well and haven't for about the last 5 years or so. lol

deanfootlong 09-06-2013 04:52 PM

looks like its going to be muddy. fun. Im headed up to laguna with the wife and dog. I think im going to take mason valley trail and play around in there (oriflame trail) I'll report back with pics.

joesloan 11-14-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y0ungGunZJ (Post 15850269)
Well if you dont mind moving the camping location, and go to santa rosa mtn instead. You could do the panwee mine trail aswell. But for the mine turn off you will need to pick your line right to avoid hitting your rockers. I have coordinates and tracks of that trail if you are interested. The camping at santa rosa is yellow post sites. (Santa rosa mtn is east of the town anza.)

I'd be interested in getting those coordinates. Never heard of Santa Rosa Mtn, curious to explore.

Y0ungGunZJ 11-14-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesloan (Post 17696313)

I'd be interested in getting those coordinates. Never heard of Santa Rosa Mtn, curious to explore.

I will get that too you when I can get on a computer, but it is just east of the town of Anza next to torro peak.

brokenyoujoint 11-14-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanfootlong (Post 15880009)
looks like its going to be muddy. fun. Im headed up to laguna with the wife and dog. I think im going to take mason valley trail and play around in there (oriflame trail) I'll report back with pics.

3 1/2 months now.. I dont think it ever happened... :nono:

jbolty 11-14-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint (Post 17701185)
[/B]

3 1/2 months now.. I dont think it ever happened... :nono:

Maybe they're still out there. :eek:

brokenyoujoint 11-14-2013 12:17 PM

you gonna make it Saturday Jeff. I'd of smashed my thumb with that big ol hammer of yours for no reason if you don't.

The time now is 11:48 PM.