Wheeling april 29th - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Wheeling april 29th

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
marinelj

Wheeling april 29th

So I have finally got a date set to go wheeling! So far it is me and a buddy from work, he has a stock yj, and its our first trip in Cali, so I'm not looking for anything too crazy. Probably going to Cleghorn ridge, seems like a good place to start out... Anyone down to come with us?

marinelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's a pretty far drive from San Diego.

Where do you live?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
marinelj

Oceanside area, we are stationed on Camp Pendleton. I am open to suggestions if there is anything closer that would bring more people out...
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Even if you are mostly stock, there are still tons of place to get your tires dirty right here in San Diego County.

This is a good, short and fairly easy trail, with some nice views.
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Oriflamme_Canyon

Coyote Canyon is a short in and out. It closes for the summer at the end of May.
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Coyote_Canyon_Trail

Pretty close to the Coyote Canyon
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Fonts_Point_Trail

and the rest.
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/San_Die...ty,_California
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
marinelj

Coyote canyon looks like fun... I didn't realize how much closer it was... Plus if it's closing in may we can always go somewhere else after it's closed... So, anyone want to come with us?
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
MJ12
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelj View Post
Coyote canyon looks like fun... I didn't realize how much closer it was... Plus if it's closing in may we can always go somewhere else after it's closed... So, anyone want to come with us?
Marinelj,
I can't got this weekend, but in two weeks if you and your buddy are up for it, send me a pm.
MJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
marinelj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ12

Marinelj,
I can't got this weekend, but in two weeks if you and your buddy are up for it, send me a pm.
Will do!
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
StvDiego

Don't forget Corral Canyon, a few trails that a stock YJ could wander across with a little help in spots. There's lots of fire road type trails in SD county that stockers will do fine on. Otay and Black Mountain Truck Trails; Nate Harrison Grade off the 76 just east of the 15 freeway.

Out in the desert even more; Canyon Sin Nombre, Fish Creek/Split Mountain, Sandstone Canyon in part, tons near Ocotillo Wells, Rodriguez Canyon, Orriflamme

I had a post somewhere back with GPS coords and directions, I'll see if I can find it
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
marinelj

So we ended up driving to Ocotillo Wells OHV park, we had a blast! A little bit too literally... My buddy's yj had a radiator malfunction... Thank god noone was hurt, and it was at the end of the day. I had to tow him out the last couple miles to the highway, AAA took over from there...
I'll post some pictures when I get home...
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
marinelj

Couple of pics... the white yj is my friend from work, the lj is mine... it was a good time... his first wheeling trip, my first California trip... Good times...

Pumpkin Patch... Pretty cool in person, pic don't do it justice...

The radiator carnage... Plastic should not be part of a rad... We were popping the hood when it blew up too... Luckily it only got my arm, his stomach a little too... Nothing worse than a sunburn, could have been much worse...

Of course I was busy and couldn't get any good pics of me towing him for the last 1.5 miles out the trail to the highway... on a good note I tested my winch, works perfectly! Here is the AAA towing him to Escondido...
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
StvDiego

Shoulda just burned the YJ where it sat

If you ever get down to Superstition Mt OHV there's some areas near there that make Pumpkin Patch seem boring
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
BSC
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a good time
BSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.