What do y'all think - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > What do y'all think

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What do y'all think

So, I'm gettin ready to pull the trigger on 33's and 4.56's. I talked to the guys at 4wheel parts and they said they would do the R&P for 1300(everything) including a warranty on the parts and labor(not sure but I think 2 year on the gears and lifetime on the install).

4WheelDirect said they would do it for 1200 but a friend had a bad experience with them (he worked there and had bad experiences with the management)(this and they ****ed up my alignment)

I know someone will say I should do it myself, however this is my DD and I can't afford to mess it up.

Thoughts- Good Idea, Bad Idea?

btw the tires are 33X10.50r15 from discount since they are going to give me 200 for my 30's

Climbit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
ankyle62
2002 TJ Wrangler 

shop around at some of the local shops before you pull the trigger.
ankyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think we need someone to teach us all how to set up gears.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
StvDiego

The real advantage to using someplace like 4wheelfarts is the warranty.

You can save some money by buying the parts yourself and getting someone to do the install, but, if an axle is bad, the locker is bad, a bearing is bad, the install is off by a tiny amount and it all goes bad, etc etc, you're pretty much on your own

Plus, that isn't a bad price for an 8.25, gears tend to be pretty pricey for that axle

Last edited by StvDiego; 04-30-2010 at 09:50 AM..
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
smcalpac
1998 ZJ 

There are good installers and bad installers everywhere. At least with the warranty you're covered.
on two wheels anymore!
Camoflauge, camoflauge, I disappear when I pull out of my garage!

PM me for LED light bars and HID off road lights
smcalpac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good price to me. Personally i'd do them myself. Never done gears before, but i've read up enough to know that its not rocket science. If garage monkeys can do it, i can do it. I'm sure it would take me 2-3x longer than a seasoned pro, because i would double and triple check all the measurements and mesh pattern.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
abcroofco
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Discount tire buys your old tires from you?
abcroofco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Sounds like a good price to me. Personally i'd do them myself. Never done gears before, but i've read up enough to know that its not rocket science. If garage monkeys can do it, i can do it. I'm sure it would take me 2-3x longer than a seasoned pro, because i would double and triple check all the measurements and mesh pattern.
We have been talking about this for ages. We need to find someone to do a walk through demo on gear setting at least once, get some tips and run with it. While not hard it seems to be one of those things where there is a little art to it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
We have been talking about this for ages. We need to find someone to do a walk through demo on gear setting at least once, get some tips and run with it. While not hard it seems to be one of those things where there is a little art to it.

I agree we should find a way to get somebody to give us a good walk trough, on how to change gears.
Ill be the first one seating down to get some actual knowledge out of somebody doing a gear change in person, because the web can always do so much specially with does back pictures or vid.
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I've got a guy that is going to show me as soon as I have an axle to do. I'm waiting on someone (STEVE!) to move on this HPD30 sitting in my garage to move forward.

I don't know whats taking him so long. I've had this axle for 13 hours now!
Unread 04-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
StvDiego

I'll drop the Jeep off this afternoon, call me when it's ready
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While not hard it seems to be one of those things where there is a little art to it.
No art, strictly science, and i like science. I'm not sure i will regear with 35s but if i do, you guys can come watch. If you have a good mesh pattern, and TQ'd to spec, you are good to go. Its not complicated like trying to install extra clutch packs into a slush box.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcroofco View Post
Discount tire buys your old tires from you?
since I got them there originally, with a 50k warranty; the 2 that were in the front are totally scrubbed (4wheeldirect screwing my alignment) and the 2 that were in the rear lost a lot of tread(rocks will do that). last time I had them rotated(20k on them) I talked to the manager and he told me when I was ready he would be able to give me about 200 towards a new set of tires because mine "clearly will not make it to the manufacturer rate mileage) he didn't care that I had them offroad or that my lift and alignment were partially to blame.

they are BFG all-terrains also.
Unread 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would love to save the cash and do it myself; but the warranty that 4wheelparts is offering is worth it on my DD.

plus since I use it as a work vehicle sometimes (towing generators, transporting equipment) I'm going to try and figure out a way to write this off as an expense (probably won't get anything but last years taxes killed me so its worth a shot)
Unread 04-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

I'm going to try that, I need new tires. My current ones only lasted 20k due to a bad alingment I think BFG warrentied them for 60k.
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.