JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   SanDiego (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/)
-   -   tj interior plastic painting (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/tj-interior-plastic-painting-1545799/)

brokenujoint 07-06-2013 08:39 PM

tj interior plastic painting

Been putting it off for yrs because for the most part I considered it kind of fu-fu, but since my airbag cover decided to commit suicide after I wiped it down with mcguires interior cleaner I've decided to do something about the 16 yrs of usage it's given me. Ive read a few write ups about using Duplicolor vinyl and plastic paint and also bumper paint but really what I'm asking is about the durability. I dont wanna put effort into this and have it go south on me in a yr or so. SO, has anyone painted their interior with good durability? pics would be nice too. Not looking for ricer/flashy work just a factory look. I love this guys job http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5425/img00053y.jpg

Chris 07-15-2013 04:51 PM

The duplicolor I used on my XJ lasted about a year and the jeep was barely used, Maybe 300 miles put on it. The stuff can't handle anything that may chip or scratch it.

smcalpac 07-15-2013 04:59 PM

I've had good luck with Krylon Fusion on motorcycle plastics. It ain't perfect but it took most of the abuse a dirt bike threw at it.

jeepwrangler97 07-15-2013 05:04 PM

I've used duplicolor & SEM....I will be repainting it to use all SEM & a clear coat..they both have held up well but the SEM seems to hold up better & I like the finish of it more.

I will post pics this week

Sent by a messenger bird

smcalpac 07-15-2013 05:08 PM

SEM is good too. Forgot that I used that on my Thing years back. That was a show car that did they get any abuse but the finish was good.

premo 07-15-2013 05:10 PM

I vote to rhino line it...

smcalpac 07-15-2013 05:29 PM

Can't argue with the durability of rhino liner! Or in my case, Line-x

brokenujoint 07-15-2013 06:48 PM

rhino line? I'm not talking about the tub, I'm talking about the dash. The interior plastics are to the point that I might as well give it a shot with painting. It's that or replacing stuff with new and new prices are EXPENSIVE. BTW, what is SEM?

jeepwrangler97 07-15-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenujoint (Post 15680403)
rhino line? I'm not talking about the tub, I'm talking about the dash. The interior plastics are to the point that I might as well give it a shot with painting. It's that or replacing stuff with new and new prices are EXPENSIVE. BTW, what is SEM?

SEM makes paint. They have interior paints, in a lot of colors too. I found a local paint store that carried it; hardware stores don't seem to.

...use a good plastic adhesion promotor & good paint & it should hold up pretty well.

When I repaint mine...I'm going to clear coat it too so it shoUld hold up even better.

SEM paints are expensive though.

I have heard good things about the rustoleum plastic paint for what its worth

Sent by a messenger bird

premo 07-16-2013 12:18 PM

I know.....Rhino line it!

Dude, you will never make it not look ghetto if you paint it. I dont know if you know anything about extrusion, mold injection or that kind of stuff, but they put color into the plastic when they make it. Its going to look like its been painted. get a new dash board or a dashboard cover

jeepwrangler97 07-16-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by premo (Post 15683142)

Dude, you will never make it not look ghetto if you paint it. I dont know if you know anything about extrusion, mold injection or that kind of stuff, but they put color into the plastic when they make it. Its going to look like its been painted. get a new dash board or a dashboard cover

No.... that is not true....if you paint it right it will not look "ghetto"

I've had people that know about cars & random kids at school that can't believe my dash was painted.

Edit: bedlined dashes look stupid imo...& what do you do to your dash that you would need the durability of bedliner?

Sent by a messenger bird

premo 07-16-2013 12:31 PM

well, good luck with that is all i'm saying. lots of room for error if you dont know what you're doing and dont take a whole lot of time to do it right...which not everyone does. probably easier to find a new dash.

good luck lol

jeepwrangler97 07-16-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by premo (Post 15683215)
well, good luck with that is all i'm saying. lots of room for error if you dont know what you're doing and dont take a whole lot of time to do it right...which not everyone does. probably easier to find a new dash.

good luck lol

Yes, it does take time, but if you look into how to properly do it, use quality paint, & if you know how to rattle can well then it can look very good.

If you use cheap paint, or don't prep well, or you don't paint well, then it will look terrible & not hold up well.

Sent by a messenger bird

smcalpac 07-16-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by premo (Post 15683142)

Not always true. I have pulled apart more cars than I can count from all sorts of manufacturers and have seen tons of dashes that are painted or dyed one color on the front but are black on the backside....

premo 07-16-2013 01:04 PM

I know, but i'm just saying essentially proceed with caution. i know it can be done right, but it seldom if ever is. i've seen a fair share of crap dash board paint jobs. again, good luck. if it were me, id opt for a replacement dash.

The time now is 08:19 PM.