Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tierra Del Sol 2014

5K views 76 replies 20 participants last post by  RikRotorhead 
#1 ·
So who's all going this yr? Are we gonna have a common camp spot? Let's get a roster going.

#3 ·
I'll be there as always. Flying solo this year since the wife is carrying our first baby and I don't think bouncing around in the YJ all weekend is a good idea. I'll be heading out on Thursday morning to pitch camp as usual for the Jeepaholics adult camp. Taking the usual 4 kegs of Homebrew. Planning to camp on the left side of North Marina drive before the hills to the old vendors area. Probably somewhere in this vacinity.

#8 ·
brokenyoujoint said:
Looks like rain might hit the fri before tds . That's great news. Should keep all the dust down or at least the ..001 inch of top layer. I'm still waiting for a "who's going". Jeff? Ron? Taylor? Jason? Jason? Kevin? Roberto? Moose? Rik? Chris? Bueller? Bueller?
I already posted: I'm going out Friday afternoon. Wife and me.

#11 ·
New to event

Hey there!

Family friend referred me to this event. My friend just got stationed here after living in Jacksonville Florida. He was looking for an area to have fun with his jeep. We were thinking of heading out there Saturday and just wanted to make sure new kids were welcomed. Being new we don't know when the runs start. Any information. Would help. Friend of the crane family if anyone is familiar with them.

#12 ·
Basically you have the sanctioned event which starts very 1st thing Saturday morning. 60.00 registration gives you one main raffle ticket and helps support the organization. You have the option to buy more tickets which cost less. There are a bunch of vendors and food as well.

Then you also have people who go out there for the affair but don't join in the registered run and do their own thing. Personally, I've been to the event 7 or so times and pay the registration, buy some raffle tickets and DONT go on the sanctioned runs. They are painfully slow, catering to newbs and for the most part, grocery getter vehicles or vehicles that are yuppie bought and the driver's don't have a clue. The man made play ground is so-so.

A number of yrs ago the TDS even was moved to where it is now from N Marina. Housing tracks went in and people gripped. That is where the fun is. Basically you past the arco or whatever that gas station is and go up a st or 2 and you'll see n marina. Make a left and head towards the hills. Fun notches and more interesting terrain is to be had.
You can pack your food, but there are a number of eateries about a mi away off the main road that you came in on. Bring a camping chair for the raffle, a warm sleeping bag/tent set up and this yr some rain gear as it might be a little wet/or a lot.. Who knows.
Hope this helped a little.

#14 ·
So depending on the weather and whether or not you guys can handle a little rain (gonna be warm rain btw), where is the camping going on? Who's going when? As I like to caravan whenever possible. I've learned NOT to leave right after the raffle. Something always seems to happen and with the rain and a 100 mile drive through winding roads, I'll be camping out and enjoying a rain free Sunday. Hope you guys do the same.

#18 ·
We're with a 15 minute walk with coolers and chairs so it's not really that close. We're east of the main event area on the south side of the road.

I'd venture to say there are quite a few of us going. However, we're just split into separate groups.

#17 ·
See my previous post for where are setting up camp. I learned not to get in on top of vendors row. The noise, traffic, dust, etc is horrible. That's why we've stuck to over off north marina and the main notches the last few years. It's only a five minute drive from camp over to vendors row.

#19 ·
I'll be camping wherever. I think I'm going to convoy out with Moose and wherever we decide to set up is good to go. Not sure how this storm is going to go so leaving the hardtop on for this one. I'll be mainly checking out the vendors and perusing the new gear that's been coming out in person, hanging out, and doing the raffle thing. I suggest grabbing a couple sandbags instead of or in conjunction with tent stakes for the tents. Just an fyi they work better if it gets too wet for the stakes to hold you down in higher wind from a storm in the desert. ;)

#25 ·
Well after I jack knifed the YJ going down banner grade and laid it on its side before I even got to the damn desert. Had the wife bring me a new tow bar. Got it hooked back up and I'm out here at camp finally. Hopefully that's the only flop and the worst of my luck for the weekend. And yeah. Windy windy out here at the moment. And I am camped roughly in the spot I posted previously

#27 ·
Wow. Pictures and story required. Glad you got back underway.

I never tow through Julian and up or down Banner. Turn left at Dudley's on 79, right on S2 and rejoin 78 at scissors crossing. Adds about 8-9 miles to the drive but it's mostly flat and straight with pretty gradual hill climbs.

This past couple weeks has been hell at work and I have not had time or the mental energy to even think about prepping for TDS. Now that it's too late I wish I was going but that's life in the big city.

Have fun out there

#46 ·
I got tired of the Depends, having to change them all the time and all. So I went and had a colostomy bag installed. Now I can just open the valve and empty it where I want.

Rik! I don't think you're gonna make that one my friend!!! It's a 5 ft vertical drop after the 60 degree grade..
Stand back.. I got this... Not. That was straight down longer than my Jeep. Matthew was puckering up the other seat cushion until Chris pulled us off of that. I wasn't skeered. lol

still need a suckdown winch..
So what would the suck down winch do in that situation? Knowledge me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.