Temecula..... ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Temecula..... ?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 12-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Temecula..... ?

So I've been looking for a house since March. I've put in tons of offers and seen hundreds of places. Always outbid, stupid banks not wanting to deal with VA, or just plain crap properties.

I've been looking at Temecula / Murrieta and can't get over how perfect these houses are and how cheap they are. I'm thinking about starting to put in offers up there. I've visited and looked around, and I like the area. I know I'd like it up there.

My main question is for anybody who lives in the area and works in San Diego. How bad is the dive? And the traffic? I normally have to be at work at 6am and don't get out until 5pm or sometimes later, so the traffic is pretty intimidating to me. My daily is a 5 speed Civic, so don't worry about the Jeep handling the drive

Some of the smaller questions I have, how is the area as far as Jeeping goes? Strict on pulling over lifted vehicles? Beaches... How far is the beach? I love the beach!

And the only reason I haven't moved up there yet... I like the San Diego area. I like living close to work. I like living close to people I work with. And I'm not a fan of waking up an extra hour early to drive to work in the morning. I suppose what I'm really looking for here is for you to convince me to move to Temecula instead of stay in south county. I don't know what to do!

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I live up here, so I'll do the best I can to answer your questions....
The beach is about an hour away. You go down the 15 to the 76 and it dumps you out at Oceanside pier area. Nice beach.
As far as the drive... I have to go to regular monthly doctor appointments in La Jolla. If I leave my house at 7:30-8:00 it takes me about an hour and ten if there are no accidents. If you are leaving to be at work at 6, you will run into much less traffic, but it's still a drive. The construction in Escondido is what slows the drive down. When that's finished I'm sure it will be much better. The 5pm dirve is about an hour and ten. If you have a good sound system in your Civic and are not anxious, you are good.
The Temecula area is a lot like Orange County now. Nice new neighborhoods, stores of every kind, etc... The houses are big, new, and cheap. The properties are usually pretty decent sized too.
Murrieta is more of a ranch community, with several housing tracts stuck in it. There is only one hotel in town, and not many big restaraunts, but tons of small ones. If you are looking for a big chain store or restaraunt you drive the extra mile to Temecula. The cities touch each other.
Tons of businesses of every kind here. Murrieta is more of a rural feel except for the area up against Temecula.
The weather here is very different than SD. It's sunny all the time here, and can get hot during the late summer. But that's what swimming pools are for. I still don't have the top on my Jeep and will probably have to put the soft top on soon because of the rainy season. But the sunny days most of the year make it nice for my mesh top.
I lived in Orange County for many years, and got tired of the foggy days constantly. Not to mention the traffic, but if you live in SD you are used to that.
Off roading pretty much doesn't exist here except in the riverbed and areas a little further north by Lake Elsinore or south like Lawrence Welk.
They are not as bad as SD as far as pulling you over for not having a front license plate or lifted vehicles. If you don't drive like an idiot they pretty much leave you alone.
Your decision is about the commute. If you don't mind the extra time in the car, you can get twice the house here for a lot less money. People in the grocery store will strike up a conversation with you, everybody is pretty friendly for the most part here.
There are LOTS of Jeeps here too, and they wave.
We love it here but are spoiled by the area we live in and have a five acre ranch on the outskirts of town. It's super quiet and gets dark at night. But the freeway and stores are only five minutes away.
You have some thinking to do. Spend some time up here and see how it feels.

Hope that helped.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have a friend that lives in Winchester and works on Coronado at NAS North Island. His commute is about 1 1/2 hours down and about 1 3/4 hours back up. He drives a hybrid and is pretty easy on the skinny pedal. Personally that kind of drive is a nightmare. The 15 is hell during rush hour. If you are leaving either Coronado or 32nd street anytime after 5 you can almost always count on it taking close to an hour just to get to Escondido. I've had it take an hour to get from Poway to Escondido on certain days. Fridays are worse. The I-15 traffic alone would keep me from moving north of Poway.

Temecula and the surrounding areas also get hot as hell. Expect triple digit weather in the summer.

My vote is to stay closer. Waking up nearly 2 hrs early just isn't worth it to me. There seems to be more wheeling down south as well. Remember....There is a reason that dirt is so cheap!
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
lazebum
2001 WJ 

i like it in Temecula. I am a recent move in but all my friends in the Marines live up here and love it. Hell ALL of them except me bought houses (dam Divorce) It does get rather warm in the summer and the drive can be long but if you want the house and comfort of living in a very safe area, this is it.
01 4.0 WJ - Kolak Brake upgrade, Addaco rear sway bar, 3' OME springs, JKS Adj Track Bar, Bilstine Shocks, MOOG Steering Stablizer and TRE's, IRO SYE front kit with a Double Cardan drive shaft, DANA 44a rear swap, booster seat, 7yrold Son, "Don't Tread On Me" Sticker and plates, oh yeah that is how i roll!!
lazebum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on your lifestyle. If you want to make a beach run, or meet your friends for a quick one, or decide at the last minute to go to a Padres game then those days are over since you are 60-90 minutes away. Personally saving a few bucks is not worth driving an extra 2 hours every day. Unless you make a whole new set of friends up there you will either do everything alone or drive to SD a lot.

On the other hand you will be closer to Eric so you can help him work on his junk.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im from Lake Elsinore. I think RikRotorhead described it best. Murrietta is more of what us locals call a retirement community. Its small and quaint per se with not much to do and not much in it. My mom works at Vons there. Temecula is more up and coming (still) has lots to do and shop lol, but Elsinore has the outlet mall so its not but another 20 min up the road via 15. My sister lives in Hemet and it isnt too bad, but small as well, you have to drive a few min to get to shops.
Height on vehicles... Have you looked around? lol, Cali folks like em lifted.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
I have a friend that lives in Winchester and works on Coronado at NAS North Island. His commute is about 1 1/2 hours down and about 1 3/4 hours back up.
Winchester.... blech...
I'm sure it takes him at least thirty minutes just to get to the 15 freeway. Winchester road in the morning and late afternoon is a 'must avoid at all costs' street. I would be hatin life if I had to drive that road every day. It's like the poeple that drive the 91 freeway every day. I'd either quit my job or move.
Actually it doesn't get that hot in Temecula or Murrieta that often. Lake Elsinore is always at least ten degrees hotter always. They get the constant triple digit weather. The climate here is pretty mild compared to Corona or Elsinore. The hills are a bit lower so we get the ocean onshore breeze every day.
But yeah, the drive is still long to SD for sure. I wouldn't want to commute to anywhere near downtown SD. Miramar or that area wouldn't be too bad.
I like the Poway area. That's a nice area, but I have no idea how the crime is or what houses go for there. It just takes a little while to get to the freeway.
Rancho Bernardo is a nice area too.
The OP didn't say where he has to commute to every day.
I like this area a lot. It's peacful, very low crime, clean, friendly, and we have everything we need here. We do the beach a lot during the summer, but an hour drive when we go is not bad at all.
Murrieta used to be the land of the newly wed or nearly dead. Now it has a well balanced demographic.
RJC#512
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
But yeah, the drive is still long to SD for sure. I wouldn't want to commute to anywhere near downtown SD. Miramar or that area wouldn't be too bad.
I like the Poway area. That's a nice area, but I have no idea how the crime is or what houses go for there. It just takes a little while to get to the freeway.
Rancho Bernardo is a nice area too.
The OP didn't say where he has to commute to every day.
I like this area a lot. It's peacful, very low crime, clean, friendly, and we have everything we need here. We do the beach a lot during the summer, but an hour drive when we go is not bad at all.
Murrieta used to be the land of the newly wed or nearly dead. Now it has a well balanced demographic.
Poway has the lowest crime in SD county and is often one of the lowest in the nation. It is also one of the most expensive places to live in SD county and is 25th most expensive zip in the nation( Just read that on wikipedia). I love it here personally.

The OP is driving from 32nd St Naval Base if I remember correctly. That is south of downtown SD and would make for quite the crap commute.
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

I moved to that area a few years back because of the cheap housing. A few years of very long commutes later I am back in San Diego.
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check east county for a deal. Also, lots of decent deals to be had in Ramona in the San Diego Estates area. I'd much rather have the drive through the country than deal with the 15. I'm on the west end (1/4 mile from the Poway city limits) and have no issues with traffic. I also make my own hours so that helps.
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
The OP is driving from 32nd St Naval Base if I remember correctly. That is south of downtown SD and would make for quite the crap commute.
Even worse, I have to drive across that damn bridge to Coronado!

I'm still not sure if I want to move up there or not. I think I'm going to spend some more time in the area, and look at a few houses while I'm up there. Anybody want to show me around Tomorrow / Tuesday?
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post

I'm still not sure if I want to move up there or not. I think I'm going to spend some more time in the area, and look at a few houses while I'm up there. Anybody want to show me around Tomorrow / Tuesday?

I had no idea you were commuting to the OTHER SIDE of downtown SD. That would be a looooohg drive every day.
Temecula Valley is really a nice place to live, but daum I wouldn't want to make that commute.
If you still want to look around up here, I'll be available Wednesday morning to show you some of the areas.
What about east county or north county? Vista has some pretty nice neighborhoods. Not sure about crime/prices there, but it looks nice from the freeway. The further you are from the coast the lower the housing should be.
If I had to make a commute to the other side of SD, I'd fly a helicopter every day. The fog would be the problem tho'.
Jason, what is a house like your's going for in Poway?
RJC#512
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

Temecula rocks...especially if you like dirtbikes
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
Check east county for a deal. Also, lots of decent deals to be had in Ramona in the San Diego Estates area. I'd much rather have the drive through the country than deal with the 15. I'm on the west end (1/4 mile from the Poway city limits) and have no issues with traffic. I also make my own hours so that helps.
X2 with this.

Ramona typically has decent housing prices, is a lot closer than Temecula and is close to all the wheeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post

Yuck. No way I'd be looking at Temecula with that kind of drive.

Are you trying to rent or buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Jason, what is a house like your's going for in Poway?
We paid $470,000 but I am pretty certain you could get something similar here for about $400,000 right now. There was one that is slightly larger than ours that just sold for $430,000 and one that is smaller and on a smaller lot that just went for $380,000 right in my neighborhood.
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatocj View Post
Temecula rocks...especially if you like dirtbikes
Yep. And you are just down Highway 79 from Ocotillo Wells, Anza Borrego, Borrego Springs, and a lot of some of the best off roading in SoCal. But then, so is SD.
SD sure does have high housing prices, even for small houses in so-so neighborhoods. It is a nice place to live tho'.
I loved living in San Clemente for years, but the housing in Orange County did the same thing price wise. I should have never sold my house on the beach.

Is Valley Center a very expensive place to live? How long does it take to get to the freeway from there?
RJC#512

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.