Search for MY first jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Search for MY first jeep

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 12-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
austinjjesus

Search for MY first jeep

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping I can get some assistance from all of you. I am currently searching for my first jeep so that I can go wheelin. We've had plenty of jeeps in the family from Wranglers to Commanders but none that have been mine. I would like to find a early to mid 90s XJ that is moderately modified already. Maybe a lift with 32s or 33s with a roof rack. I'd like something I can have fun with aswell as build up and be my DD. I'm also looking around the 2500 to 3000 dollar range. I know I'm asking for a lot but I'm hoping you guys can help me.

austinjjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I personally wouldn't be looking for anything modified whatsoever, for numerous reasons- one being is you don't know if the PO installed the lift correctly, which has the potential to fail on you rather quickly if you don't know what to look for.

You can find ones with high miles that were driven by old people rather gently for cheap (sub $2000 range), which isn't a big deal because the 2.5L and 4.0L powerplants they included with those Jeeps are VERY robust and durable. Definitely wouldn't want to be rolling anything bigger than a 31 on the D35 rear axle, mine broke apart on mere 29" tires, and I was coasting downhill under the speed limit!

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I personally wouldn't be looking for anything modified whatsoever, for numerous reasons- one being is you don't know if the PO installed the lift correctly, which has the potential to fail on you rather quickly if you don't know what to look for.

You can find ones with high miles that were driven by old people rather gently for cheap (sub $2000 range), which isn't a big deal because the 2.5L and 4.0L powerplants they included with those Jeeps are VERY robust and durable. Definitely wouldn't want to be rolling anything bigger than a 31 on the D35 rear axle, mine broke apart on mere 29" tires, and I was coasting downhill under the speed limit!

Browse around craigslist. I've seen all type of Cherokees on there.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

another reason to start stock is because your skills are stock. Actually less than stock. A stocker can do A LOT. Plus depending on how well you want it built you can do it yourself the right way. On the other hand, its a bad market and its a sellers market. Ive seen jeeps that were relatively new and built to the till going for what they put into it alone... for 3k check out of state. try ksl.com and go into the classified section. I saw a 3k cherokee last week with dana 60's.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...=1&search=jeep
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
austinjjesus

Thanks guys. My skills aren't stock but I understand what you mean. Ie been around the trails in my fair share of jeeps but all have even my dads. And most recently I started going around in a discovery II.
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not a bash or banter in any way.. What I mean is, a lot of guys buy rigs that TO capable right off the bat and end up either recking it or not appreciating the build..
Some of the very best memories I have are in my stock cj in 1993 and the stock tj I bought new in late 96. Getting stuck was a blast. Taught me how to get out of stuff on my own. Whatever you get I know you'll have a blast! Good luck on that golden find!
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
austinjjesus

No I completely understand. Hopefully I find her soon. I'm really antsy about starting the buil and all. Feel free to send me links that you guys stumble upon. (619)244-5785 or austinjjesus@gmail.com
Unread 12-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

save 9k more and I'll sell you my tj. I'm getting a craving for a LJ build. Sometimes I think I enjoy building it more than wheeling it.
Unread 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
austinjjesus

If only it was that easy to save up 9k at 19 years old haha
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

or any age for that matter. You could go crab fishing in Alaska for 3 months..
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
austinjjesus

I'm Portuguese so fishing is definitely in my blood haha
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
austinjjesus

What is your guys opinions on a 95 jeep cherokee sport?
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As a stock vehicle? IMO a good start into the Jeeping world. Really, any year or model Jeep is a great way to get into it, just some have differing levels of complication or capability, but that doesn't mean you can't go places.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
austinjjesus

I'm wondering more about reliability wise. I've accepted that a jeep will go anywhere as a off road vehicle but it would also be my daily driver.
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #15
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

jeeps arent the BEST DD but IF I had to be a DD and occational fun-mobile it would prob be a cherokee. sport is a good one. 4.0 is always nice. Ive seen guys do some knarly stuff in cherokee's

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.