SD Stock-able Trails? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > SD Stock-able Trails?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-28-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
dmill33ZJ
1996 ZJ 

SD Stock-able Trails?

Hey Guys, I got a stock ZJ here and was wondering if anyone could point me out to some good stock friendly trails in San Diego. Im looking for something a stock rig could handle but still have fun and enjoy.

Ive been looking around and seeing Pancake rock? and Coral Canyon? but not sure how a stock ZJ would handle.

Live in Rancho Bernado so anything with in 50 miles or so would be great.

Any info would be awesome and very much appreciated!!!!
THANKS!!!!

dmill33ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You might want to look at Santa Isabel Creek Trail in Ramona - its a good easy trail to get started. Also look at Oriflamme Canyon and Rodriquez Canyon, Elliott Mine. I've done all of those. I did Pancake Rock, great trail but you'll likely drag in a few places. I'm in RB also, so PM me if you want more info.
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
StvDiego

From what I've seen recently the road up to Pancake Rock is a challenge for a built rig, I'd pass on that for now. There's a local group, SDJeepin, with a bunch of stockers or close to stock and they get out fairly regularly, good people, some of us went to a meet-n-greet with them a month or so ago. Hopefully we can get some stock level runs together here too, altough it's getting pretty toasty, 115 out in the desert yesterday

In SD County there are dozens of "Truck Trails", barely maintained roads to gain access to remote areas, perfect for stockers, most good maps show them. Otay, Black Mountain, Nate Harrison Grade on Palomar for a few.

Corral Canyon has a couple of "trails" that a stocker can handle. If you have decent all-terrain tire like BFG's for instance, you could possibly run a trail like Sidewinder depending on your clearance and the condition of the trail, and if you have tow hooks and someone to pull you

Out in the desert there are hundreds of spots that a stocker can run especially if you want to do some hiking and exploring. Canyon sin Nombre, Fish Creek, Vallecito Creek, Dos Cabezas, Calcite Mine, Rodriguez Canyon, Truckhaven Road, Texas Gulch, Slot Canyon, almost anywhere in Ocotillo Wells area, just to name a few

Pick up a couple of the SD County Backcountry maps, most major sporting goods and hiking/backpacking stores sell them
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
shoe83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy and I have run pancake rock several times in the last few months, and his stock TJ handled the trail with no problems. You just need to be patient and pick your lines. If you are inexperienced it can be difficult.
shoe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
dmill33ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Thanks guys,That helps a ton!!! I will definitely look into SDJEEPIN, would love to meet other jeepers and not just my uncle and his friend. And Rrw600, I'm sure i have seen you around in RB but not to sure, when there are quite a few tj's around, but if you every see a red stock zj with black rims that's me.
dmill33ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
c-manxj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

does anyone have a trail guide or info on pancake rock? im looking for a place to go this coming weekend

USMC
c-manxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-manxj View Post
does anyone have a trail guide or info on pancake rock? im looking for a place to go this coming weekend
Heres some info from a trip last fall. Back then it was pretty much a dirt road but there have been differing reports on the trail condition recently.

go a few pages before and after that date and there are some pictures

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/...l#post10298683
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There's a few trails up here that I know of that you can wheel a stocker with no problem.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.