SD local stopping in to say hi. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > SD local stopping in to say hi.

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
cr4zyfkr

SD local stopping in to say hi.

Took my son so Ocotillo OHV area Wednesday and played around in our '10 WK. nothing outrageous since its on street tires but we did do some donuts and hill climbing. We were well protected by the marines flying over in Osperys.
I was impressed with how well the Jeep did climbing. There was only one hill I couldn't make it up because of deep ruts at the top and had to back (slide) down.
Next time we go, hopefully we will have gotten our tax refund back and I will have picked up a set of rubicon pull offs or at least a set of better tires we also plan to pick up an atv and a trailer.
Where else is a good place to go?

image-621910944.jpg   image-2910004351.jpg  
cr4zyfkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
aftahour
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sweet time out with the boy. Did u check out the bad lands off the s2. There are alot of street vech only trails
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Santa rosa MTN is a easy fire road you'd get a kick out of, i'd wait till after winter to go though since its a 8k peak which you drive all the way up to going from desert to big bear all on one hill.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
cr4zyfkr

Haven't made it to the badlands yet. I want to go out with more than just 1 vehicle before we start venturing very far out. Santa Rosa mountain sounds fun! Still trying to decide if I want to modify this jeep or buy a dedicated toy that I don't care about breaking. Plus if I do that we will have 2 jeeps.
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

if you want something really cheap as a toy i think XJs can go for pretty cheap and some ZJs but at that point you might be going to the auto parts store to get it to the reliability of where you want it. if you want a another jeep to really beat on and not have to worry, i youo can get pretty good lifts on either one for a not too much.

the question is how much do you want to spend either on another jeep or on this one to lift it get some armor on it and do some 1-2+ trails with it.
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
cr4zyfkr

I think I have the Mrs convinced that a 2" rough country kit and some BFG Mud Terrain 265's are going to happen along with an ecu programmer to make up for the larger tires. I was on Rcs site looking at the lift kits and saw steering stabilizers. Are those mandatory? Here is a pic of the tire I want from tire rack.

image-3555374508.jpg

Am I going to need spacers or anything else to make them work? I've never modified a 4X4 before. Anyone heading out tomorrow? Might blast out to ocotillo wells OHV.
Speaking of that, do I need anything special besides license plates, e.g. , permits, stickers or anything else or do I just go?

Last edited by cr4zyfkr; 01-24-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

for the lift question i'd go over to the WK section of the forums and ask them

for the tires i'd suggest you get a all terrain for now, save some cash. idk what size you wanted if it was a 265/70 R17 but looked at discount tire and you can easily save 25 a tire by doing the all terrain instead.

if i remember correctly you don't need a permit for Ocotillo for glamis you do though. or some forest areas i.e big bear you need an adventure pass.
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im not going to be the guy that screams don't buy RC because I used them for my first lift and it got the job done. Ive since upgraded to something a lot more expensive and the difference is tremendous. Its one of those you get what you pay for situations so youll need to shell out the money accordingly to the quality and performance you desire.
calsouthjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
cr4zyfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsouthjeep View Post
Im not going to be the guy that screams don't buy RC because I used them for my first lift and it got the job done. Ive since upgraded to something a lot more expensive and the difference is tremendous. Its one of those you get what you pay for situations so youll need to shell out the money accordingly to the quality and performance you desire.
I totally agree with you. Here's the thing. I don't plan to go out and do anything crazy enough with my kid in the Jeep that will warrant having to shell out thousands on suspension parts. If there is a good solution for around $500 that can meet in the middle of the road between the RC or Daystar kit and what you're talking about, I'm game.

On another note: Went to Santiago Peak / N. Main Divide Rd yesterday and had a blast. Sort of rocky and bumpy for the stock Jeep although we did make it as far as we could before we had to turn around due to it getting dark on us. I think a lift and better tires will fix the roughness we encountered.
Was great, but so far, I prefer Ocotillo to Santiago. There's something about hill climbing and desert running that gets in your blood. Santiago reminded me of a road we used to travel to get to our deer stands. Barely counts as off-roading to me.
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have my BB spacers that I don't use any more. Just under a 2" lift. Ran 31s with no problem for years.
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
cr4zyfkr

31s fit with just a lift? They clear the dreaded UCA bolt?
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4zyfkr View Post
31s fit with just a lift? They clear the dreaded UCA bolt?
Not sure with the XJ, mine is a TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.