Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area Question - Bronco Peak & Sidewinder Trails, Lake Morena Camping?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CaribouLouWJ 
#1 ·
Any comments on this weekend trip I’m planning for my club? We would camp at Lake Morena, and run Bronco Peak and Sidewinder trails. From the descriptions I’ve read and youtube's I’ve seen; they look like good, moderately difficult trails (i.e. like John Bull or Gold Mtn near Big Bear). The campground looks like a great base camp, where we can kill time fishing when not running trails. Any comments on this area (i.e. is it worth the 3+ hour drive for our group)?

Thx,
Cliff

#2 ·
In the Coral Canyon OHV area you'll find enough trails to easily eat up a Saturday and then some. Sidewinder is a great trail; short with some moderately difficult parts to it. Bronco Peak has 2 completely different sides. The main part of the trails is easy to moderate in places with some good views from the top. The backside, also called the connector, is extremely difficult. Lockers and 33's (most will say 35's) are pretty much required. Gunslinger is a trail that I haven't run but Steve (Stvdiego) and Jeff (jbolty) have run. Supposed to be pretty easy.

All in all its worth the drive just to experience something different. If ya don't mind a few others maybe post the date up here.

Here is us going through the trails:

Sorry about the audio on some videos. Youtube pulled it.

#4 ·
The campground is kind of a ghost town....and the lake is pretty much dried up, but its close to the trails. Park Ranger did warn us about locals coming in when people are gone/sleeping and stealing stuff....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.