San Diego Area - Page 992 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #14866
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
What year was the last year to NOT have to get a smog check for vehicles?

10char

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #14867
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post

10char
thanks. I needed to know what year K5 Blazer to buy to put under my Willys station wagon body. I don't want to have to mess with smog stuff.
There are some pretty good deals going on for K5's on all the counties of Craigslist.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #14868
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks. I needed to know what year K5 Blazer to buy to put under my Willys station wagon body. I don't want to have to mess with smog stuff.
There are some pretty good deals going on for K5's on all the counties of Craigslist.
keep it registered as a willys.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #14869
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
keep it registered as a willys.

That's what I want to do. I have the pink slip for the 1950 Willys, but somebody told me that when it's been non-op for more than X amount of years, they want to see it, because they know you probably modified it and put in a different drive train.
If so, it becomes the drive train's year and model. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I'd rather drop a Vortec 5.3 in it, or a newer 350 with FI.

I just need to do more research.
RJC#512
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #14870
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sooooo......

I used every ratchet extension I had and made a three foot long extension, and I finally got those two pesky E-12 torx bolts out of the top of the bell housing. They came out pretty easy from behind the skid plate at that angle. Everything is disconnected, the exhaust is off, and the skid pan only has the corner bolts, as well as only two lower bell housing bolts holding it in.
Question is, how do I balance that tranny and t-case to drop it down? There's no flat spot to put the floor jack, and it needs to come backwards to come out. I have a smaller floor jack supporting the rear of the engine, and I have a big floor jack for the tranny. Maybe throw a strap around the tranny and tie it to the floor jack?
How heavy is that bad boy? Can two people handle it laying on the floor?
How many people can fit under a Jeep?
RJC#512
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #14871
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If ya lived a bit closer...... I have a transmission lift and a motorcycle lift. Both work great.

Neither the trans or TC are extremely heavy on their own but will be a bear for two people to try and lower without the help of something. Plus you will never be able to get it back in. Thats the real fun part. I recommend renting or borrowing a trans lift or some sort of ATV/motorcylce lift. If you are willing to drive you can grab mine.

I wanna say 4 is the most I've seen under at one time but that doesn't mean you can't do better!
Unread 07-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #14872
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
If ya lived a bit closer...... I have a transmission lift and a motorcycle lift. Both work great.

Neither the trans or TC are extremely heavy on their own but will be a bear for two people to try and lower without the help of something. Plus you will never be able to get it back in. Thats the real fun part. I recommend renting or borrowing a trans lift or some sort of ATV/motorcylce lift. If you are willing to drive you can grab mine.

I wanna say 4 is the most I've seen under at one time but that doesn't mean you can't do better!
Glad you mentioned that. I have an ATV lift, but I'm not sure it will go high enough.
I am coming down your way this week, but I'm still unsure of what day.

I'll roll the ATV lift under there tomorrow and check it out.

Thanks Jason.
RJC#512
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #14873
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's what I want to do. I have the pink slip for the 1950 Willys, but somebody told me that when it's been non-op for more than X amount of years, they want to see it, because they know you probably modified it and put in a different drive train.
If so, it becomes the drive train's year and model. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I'd rather drop a Vortec 5.3 in it, or a newer 350 with FI.

I just need to do more research.
can you re-reg it as is. then tear it apart?
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #14874
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
can you re-reg it as is. then tear it apart?
It doesn't have a motor or trans in it, but I'm gunna' try. If they want to see it then it's a different story.
I would definately like to keep it as a 50 Willys reg.
RJC#512
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #14875
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sooooo......

I used every ratchet extension I had and made a three foot long extension, and I finally got those two pesky E-12 torx bolts out of the top of the bell housing. They came out pretty easy from behind the skid plate at that angle. Everything is disconnected, the exhaust is off, and the skid pan only has the corner bolts, as well as only two lower bell housing bolts holding it in.
Question is, how do I balance that tranny and t-case to drop it down? There's no flat spot to put the floor jack, and it needs to come backwards to come out. I have a smaller floor jack supporting the rear of the engine, and I have a big floor jack for the tranny. Maybe throw a strap around the tranny and tie it to the floor jack?
How heavy is that bad boy? Can two people handle it laying on the floor?
How many people can fit under a Jeep?
A. RENT a tranny jack;

B. CHAIN it to the jack;

C. How many eople fit under a Jeep? Depends on thier size. If they're my size,4 tops. NORMAL people, 8 or so; depends on the weather.

Are you coming south this week?

Happy Trails,
moose
sdmoose429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #14876
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As long as YOU are the only one that will ever be near the machine during it's spin cycle, and you promise not to stick your hand in there while it's spinning....
Where's the fun in that? I was thinking to kill two birds and turn it into a drum sander.
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #14877
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Glad you mentioned that. I have an ATV lift, but I'm not sure it will go high enough.
I am coming down your way this week, but I'm still unsure of what day.

I'll roll the ATV lift under there tomorrow and check it out.

Thanks Jason.
My folks have a motorcycle lift as well. If you need to borrow it, just give me a call and I'll dig it out for ya. Good luck!
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #14878
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
A. RENT a tranny jack;

B. CHAIN it to the jack;

C. How many eople fit under a Jeep? Depends on thier size. If they're my size,4 tops. NORMAL people, 8 or so; depends on the weather.

Are you coming south this week?

Happy Trails,
moose
I was thinking to use some straps to tie it to the ATV jack so it doesn't fall off.
I am going south this week, but still haven't heard from the doctor. They want to run some blood tests and a cat scan on me. I emailed him this morning to find out the appointment time.
Either way, I'll be down there this week.

Quote:
Where's the fun in that? I was thinking to kill two birds and turn it into a drum sander.
More like an automatic amputation device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJGuy View Post
My folks have a motorcycle lift as well. If you need to borrow it, just give me a call and I'll dig it out for ya. Good luck!

Thanks. I'll try my ATV lift and if it isn't big enough, I'll give you a call.
RJC#512
Unread 07-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #14879
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1292786418.html
RJC#512
Unread 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #14880
Brett77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the clutch in my YJ last May by myself. ( not true my sweet young bride was the legs for my beer that day) With a jack stand under the tranny. I seperated the transfere case and the Tranny. (hand full of bolts) And balanced the transfere case with one hand while lowering /operating the floor jack with the other hand, a 231 is not that heavy. Then moved the jack stand from under the tranny to under the motor. With a block a wood on the floor jack I pulled the tranny while balancing it with one hand and operating the floor jack with the other. Note: the center line of the tranny is not the center of the wieght distibuted inside the tranny. The floor jack was postioned alot farther towards the rear of the tranny than you might think... I've done it both ways, with the Tranny and Tcase married up and seperated. I like them seperated. The weight your are working with is greatly reduced. Clutch Alignment tool Clutch Alignment tool Clutch Alignment tool, you need a Clutch Alignment tool. Makes life a bunch easer
When I went back together I had a floor jack under the motor which was a big help in aligning the input shaft of the tranny to the pilot bearing. The T case was a breeze to line up. It sounds easier than actually doing it and there is always a health measure disciptive language involved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.