San Diego Area - Page 988 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #14806
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJGuy View Post
I'll help, but I've never done it before. It would be interesting to learn
Also, I tried calling you today to try and pick up that sticker. I was out job-hunting in your area of the world. Mebbe tomorrow??

Sorry I missed your call. I have been home all day. I've been on the phone with Verizon for over two hours, upgrading my FIOS to 25X25mbps, and ordering the TV services so I can get rid of DirectTV. Saving $120/month and getting more features and speed. My ear is sore. I'll be home tomorrow until about 2pm. I'm starting on my clutch tonite when it's a bit cooler, but if you wanna' stop by tomorrow and help put it back in, that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Are you in a hurry? I have a self imposed restriction until I get my fenders done, and progress is being made.
Thanks Jeff. My Jeep is dead in the garage right now. The slave went out completely, and left a pretty good puddle on my garage floor. The kids (and me) can't go for more than a few days without the Jeep. Last night we wanted to go for a cruise in the cool weather to get a frozen yogurt, but we had to take the Avalanche. They (we) were bummed.
Keep up the good work on the fenders. They are looking good so far.

RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #14807
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Seems to be working OK...... Not real fast on the upload side tho'....

RJC#512
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #14808
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

So.... I disconnected the exhaust (thanks to PB Baster), all the vac lines, the rear drive shaft, the speedo cable, the vent tube, some wire on the driver's side, loosened all the skid plate bolts and the t-case mount bolts, removed the starter, loosened the bell housing bolts, EXCEPT for the two top ones. What is up with them being so tight, and they are like a 12 point 11mm bolt. I can't get any leverage on them. Is there a trick? Should I wait until I lower the tranny down a bit? It's pretty tight up in there.
And how do you remove the shifter? I released the clip on the 4x4 shifter and removed that shifter, but the tranny shifter needs to come off too.
So two bolts and a tranny shifter are all that is keeping my transmission from sitting on the ground. Oh, and the front drive shaft, but that's easy.
Any help would be appreciated.
bell-housing-1.jpg  
RJC#512
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #14809
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
So.... I disconnected the exhaust (thanks to PB Baster), all the vac lines, the rear drive shaft, the speedo cable, the vent tube, some wire on the driver's side, loosened all the skid plate bolts and the t-case mount bolts, removed the starter, loosened the bell housing bolts, EXCEPT for the two top ones. What is up with them being so tight, and they are like a 12 point 11mm bolt. I can't get any leverage on them. Is there a trick? Should I wait until I lower the tranny down a bit? It's pretty tight up in there.
And how do you remove the shifter? I released the clip on the 4x4 shifter and removed that shifter, but the tranny shifter needs to come off too.
So two bolts and a tranny shifter are all that is keeping my transmission from sitting on the ground. Oh, and the front drive shaft, but that's easy.
Any help would be appreciated.
those bolts can be off'ed with a 12 point socket but actually need a special tool.

they are an E socket and kragen, autozone , etc has them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...42&postcount=8

the trans shifter comes off by pulling back the rubber boot and pressing and turning the inner ring. OR, unbolt the top flange. 4 bolts surrounding the shifter

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hifter+removal
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #14810
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
those bolts can be off'ed with a 12 point socket but actually need a special tool.

they are an E socket and kragen, autozone , etc has them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...42&postcount=8

the trans shifter comes off by pulling back the rubber boot and pressing and turning the inner ring. OR, unbolt the top flange. 4 bolts surrounding the shifter

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hifter+removal

Thanks Jeff. I'll give that a try in the morning. So far everything is going OK, no snapped bolts or stripped heads.
Looking forward to getting this project done for sure.
Thanks again.
RJC#512
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #14811
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Like Jeff said, get the E-torx tool. Its the torx bolt's evil cousin. Jeff and I fought those bolts for 2 days until we got the right tool.
Unread 07-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #14812
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. I'll give that a try in the morning. So far everything is going OK, no snapped bolts or stripped heads.
Looking forward to getting this project done for sure.
Thanks again.
If you get it done before Sunday, you can join us at Lawrence Welk. There is an incentive for ya...
sdmoose429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #14813
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Sorry I missed your call. I have been home all day. I've been on the phone with Verizon for over two hours, upgrading my FIOS to 25X25mbps, and ordering the TV services so I can get rid of DirectTV. Saving $120/month and getting more features and speed. My ear is sore. I'll be home tomorrow until about 2pm. I'm starting on my clutch tonite when it's a bit cooler, but if you wanna' stop by tomorrow and help put it back in, that would be great.
Sorry I didn't call back, but I've been helping the folks get their garage all cleaned out. ( my mom even mopped the floor ) I can swing by a little later this eve if it's cool. I'll PM my cell # to ya, just call or text to letme know
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #14814
pistol
1990 YJ Wrangler 

dose any one in the sd area have or know someone that has a full size dana 44 with 5 lug for sale i want it for a wrangler thanks
pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #14815
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol View Post
dose any one in the sd area have or know someone that has a full size dana 44 with 5 lug for sale i want it for a wrangler thanks
They show up on Craigslist now and then, best bet is the junkyard, Pick-Your-Part in Chula Vista/Otay has a 1/2 price sale Aug 7-9, figure @$100 for a complete axle.

PYP has a big truck section and full size D44's and 60's show up there regularly.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #14816
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Josh's Grand just blew up. Gonna go grab it from the side of the road with the Ram. Probably gonna part it out unless a V8 can be found for cheap.
Unread 07-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #14817
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Speaking of parting out, here is a preliminary list of parts and prices for what I have. These are CL prices and not JF/Friend rates. Nothing is set in stone and I am willing to trade for stuff. I have a crap ton of stuff in my garage and am sure I have forgotten some stuff. PM me for more info on anything or if you wanna see if I have something. YJ, XJ, TJ and ZJ parts!

Front axle - D30 w/ARB air loker, geared to 4.11, Warn locking hubs - $600
Rear axle - AMC 20 w/ARB air locker, geared to 4.11, Warn locking hubs - $600
CJ Hard top - Great shape - $500
CJ/YJ Hard doors - $300
Engine - 4.0HO from '98 TJ, complete with full wiring harness, CPUs, sensors, rebuilt 30k miles ago - $500
TJ Exhaust - Complete w/both cats and O2 sensors- $200
D300 Transfer case - $300
CJ7 Frame - Sandblasted and painted - $100
TF999 Auto Trans - $100
CJ/YJ Front Seats - $ 50
CJ/YJ Rear bench - $100
CV Style Drive shafts - $ 50
CJ7 Hood - $100
CJ7 Fenders - $100
CJ7 Grill - $100
CJ7 Tub - $200
CJ7 Dash - New in box - $100
CJ7 Windshield Frame - New in box - $100
CJ7 Jambo fuel cell - High capacity - $100
TJ fuel cell w/sendr - $100
CJ Leaf springs - $100
CJ Daystar body lift - New in box - $ 75
TJ Dashboard (Complete) - $100
TJ Steering column - $75
TJ Fuel Filler (Good YJ Mod) $25 - I think Rik wants this so it may be on hold.
Tuffy Locking Stereo Center Console (fits CB or stereo, padded armrest with keys) - $150

Last edited by Jeebs; 07-24-2009 at 06:11 PM..
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #14818
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
TJ Fuel Filler (Good YJ Mod) $25 - I think Rik wants this so it may be on hold.

Yeah I still want it. It got too late when I was down in your area yesterday.
You're bumming us out by selling your CJ. We were all watching the progress hoping to see a rockin' Jeep soon. I understand the 'money pit' 'lost interest' thing tho'.
I'll be back down in that area next week, not sure which day yet tho'.
RJC#512
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #14819
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I am also parting out a '95 Grand Cherokee. Lifted on BRAND NEW BFG AT's, with roof rack, KC lights, etc. Motor is toast.
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #14820
StvDiego

My List:
  1. Fuel Tank
  2. KC Lites
  3. BBQ and Beer
Not necessarily in that order

and fix the sig

The Jeepless Jeebs

Strike the center console, won't fit mine

Last edited by StvDiego; 07-25-2009 at 10:34 AM..
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.