Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#18,922 ·
not to toot my own horn, but i'm actually a pretty experienced welder. i had to do quite a bit of it at my last job. ive done custom motor mounts, industrial welding, etc. i used to use a millermatic 251 on the daily :thumbsup: i did quite a bit of tig as well.

and ill be ditching the flux core and going gas. i already have a tank, regulator, etc. i pretty much have/had everything to weld, less the welder. :)
:thumbsup:

Sweet! I've got a Miller 175 unit I've been using for years now. It's a smaller 220 unit but it does the job! A welder is a wonderful tool to have. I still need to get a bender but at least I've got access to one. A plasma cutter would be nice to, again access.... but it's not mine.

Congrats on the "three-o". It ain't all bad once you get used to it!

#18,923 ·
For the corral canyon run im thinking of going sunday, maybe meeting up for lunch at tylers taste of texas and then heading out there, all though it might be really busy, if they are open.

I need to install a cb, if anyone has a cb antenna or the cable to go from the cb to the antenna ill buy it off you. I also need to pick up a new tow strap

#18,926 ·
For the corral canyon run im thinking of going sunday, maybe meeting up for lunch at tylers taste of texas and then heading out there, all though it might be really busy, if they are open.

I need to install a cb, if anyone has a cb antenna or the cable to go from the cb to the antenna ill buy it off you. I also need to pick up a new tow strap
sounds good, just let me know.

I would like to get a CB installed before the weekend also. Anyone know where to get one locally?

#18,929 ·
Frys has a cb radio section with everything you need, I can go with.you when you go if you want. The cb mount usually comes with the cb. You just need the cb , a coax cable I believe its called, and an antenna. There's a bunch of guides online to help you out too.

I just saw you said antenna mount not cb mount, they should be in the cb section as well.

#18,930 ·
Last time I wsa at fry's the CB section was about empty, like they might not be stocking any more. Hope they keep up; the antennas, cable and mounts are about 1/3 the cost of radio shack.

Else, Amazon still has the uniden cb for cheap but they are a little high on the antennas.

#18,931 ·
Frys has a cb radio section with everything you need, I can go with.you when you go if you want. The cb mount usually comes with the cb. You just need the cb , a coax cable I believe its called, and an antenna. There's a bunch of guides online to help you out too.

I just saw you said antenna mount not cb mount, they should be in the cb section as well.
cool bro. im gonna go tomorrow after work, sometime around 2pm.

#18,932 ·
Last time I wsa at fry's the CB section was about empty, like they might not be stocking any more. Hope they keep up; the antennas, cable and mounts are about 1/3 the cost of radio shack.

Else, Amazon still has the uniden cb for cheap but they are a little high on the antennas.
Ive been doing the "check availability" to see if they have them here and have been lucky so far.

know where to get them tuned?

#18,933 ·

Thats no good! I wanted to pick up some cb stuff at the truck stops we stopped at this week but i figured id go to frys.:thumbdown:

#18,934 ·